Looking into moving to BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ih8mudadvrider, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ih8mudadvrider

ih8mudadvrider Texan transplant love the NW

Oddometer:
    I have a possible job offer in Merritt, BC. My wife and I have travelled western canada alot but being from eastern canada (growing up in maine) I don't know a whole lot. Any thoughts on the area in and around Merritt?

thanks!!!!:ear
  2. WeThereYet

WeThereYet Caffeine Rider

Oddometer:
    From eastern Canada, growing up in Maine, now living in Texas and moving to Merritt. Hmmm! Are you on the run?

Don't know much about Merritt, but have been through there several times. Nice little town. Has a kick ass country music festival. Really hot in summer and quite dry. Cold in winter. As far as local attractions and culture, can't help you.
  3. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    OMG! My favorite BC road is the #8 at Merrit :clap Its beautiful, the roads are great and the weather gets hot in the summer. There. That's what I know :deal
  4. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Trees, rocks, water, cows, horses, fish, sunburned bare breasts at the Merrit Mountain Music Fest every summer - and a ton of great riding
    :jump
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merritt is located in the Lower Nicola region. Population is around 10,000, I think they have a Home Depot. It is on the western edge of the north tip of the Sonoran Desert, so is quite dry. There are lakes full of fish everywhere. Summer temps can get to 108degF, and winter nights can get to -25degF. Dry is the key, which takes the edge off of these extremes. I'm guessing the elevation is around 2000ft. You will be 2 1/2 hrs to Vancouver, and 3/4 hr to the hub of Kamloops, 1 hour north of the US border at Nighthawk, 1 1/2 hrs to greater Kelowna, and 1/2 hour from the biggest cattle ranch in the world, the Douglas Lake Cattle ranch. The offroad biking is incredible and street riding is highly above average.
    Depending on what business you are in, you can do extremely well there. Buying property is a good move in this area. The next wave of people moving to south west B.C. is about to hit [Olympics in 2010], which will skyrocket the real estate for 200 miles. It can still be had for quite cheap, but not for long.
    The main negative I can see is that this area is home to,,,, well, a small percentage of ,,,,,,,, residents who have been there longer than the Europeans, and can be seen the odd time enjoying a nap in areas of town most would not view as correct, such as roads, curbs, etc. Certainly this can be seen at alot of smaller towns in B.C., and is no need for alarm. Mostly harmless.
    And Yes, the Merritt music festival if frickin' huge, and I'm sure most Merritt residents leave town for the weekend while the pretend cowpokes go nutbar over honky tonk.
    Ciao, Steve
  6. ih8mudadvrider

Oddometer:
    born in NB
    grew up in ME and TX
    went to college in AR and CO
    Summer jobs in NM, TN, NH, NYC
    lived in WA, CA, LA and now back in TX

Been around a little. My adventure just took longer than a few months enjoying the cultures. I lived the cultures!
  7. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Stop the presses. Did you say culture? Whoa..., spend some time in Merritt before you decide. Its small town. really small.
  8. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merrit is realy in the middle of dual sport heaven, welll quite close to the middle, I live in the middle of dual sport heaven. But it's very close to here, so realy it's on the edge of the center of dual sport heaven.
    All seriousness aside it's a great place and you can leave it in any direction to find the unknown, and thats is what it's all about, not the hookey-pokkey
  9. ih8mudadvrider

Oddometer:
    They will be flying us out there soon to check it out. I have been to Kamloops many times. So I am somewhat familiar with the flora/fauna.

Oh and hey, I live in Waco, TX. It's not exactly a mecca for "culture." However 200,000 pop is a few more than 10,000. ug
  10. Mike Ryder

Oddometer:
    one more thing, you can get a good cup of coffee there. Small place downtown near the liquor store.
  11. ih8mudadvrider

Oddometer:
    I will make sure the hit the coffee shop then the liquor store. Or should it be the other way around?
  12. BringSparesAlong

BringSparesAlong Pist N Broke

Oddometer:
    I worked in Merritt from Nov 95-Feb 99. I didn't live there, commuted from Kamloops. Yes, it is a small town. Yes ,it does get hot in summer and cold in winter. The city is working hard to promote tourism and not be just a mill town. There are 2 sawmills in the city, and 3 more just outside. The same company that puts on mountianfest is also building a motorsports complex. They want to have a road course as well as a dragstrip. Not sure how far along they are. If you like hockey (and who doesn't) there's a Jr "A" team. As far as concerts and such, mountianfest is the big one, for anything else you need to go to Kamloops or Kelowna. Easy drive to Kamloops, for Kelowna you have to cross a mountian range, but no big deal. I like Merritt and if the job had been more stable, I'd have moved. Hope this helps.
  13. ih8mudadvrider

Oddometer:
    Yes! That was very helpful! Thanks for the insight there Bring!
  14. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    GRRRRRR stay off my road Colleen:D :wink:
  15. Mike Ryder

Oddometer:
    Watch out for horses on thar road.
  16. ih8mudadvrider

Oddometer:
    It looks like I will be going to Visit in January. WOOHOO! My favorite time of year. I think last year here in Waco we had our AC on for at least half the month. YUCK!
  17. ulendo

ulendo lunatic fringe

Oddometer:
    knew I had some pics of the merritt area somewhere - so here you go, some general shots of Merrit, and the area immediately around it. ( Merrit its self is behind the bridge & trees in the first shot) all three of these are taken from the tourist information center SE of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what you'd be getting into.
  18. ih8mudadvrider

Oddometer:
    Looks lovely to me!!! I believe the wife and I had driven through there on the 5 on our way to Jasper from Vancouver a few years ago. That highway was amazing! NO TRAFFIC AND NOT A BUMP ANYWHERE!!!! If I am not mistaken part of the road was a tollway.
  19. ulendo

ulendo lunatic fringe

Oddometer:
    That'd be the Coquihalla Hwy you're thinking of, which is south of Merrit. (basically from Merrit, south to GVA (greater vancouver area)) I Uslaly give it a miss, and take one of the less frequented routes. Hope-Princeton hwy is nice twisty asphalt, while the old summerland princeton hwy is a gravel route:clap

Traffic on the BC interior varies greatly depending on the time of they year: july/aug are absolutely nuts with tourists, while the rest of the year swings between reasonable traffic, to hoping to see another car just so you know you havent gotten lost somehow :lol3 If you've been up here you'll know what I mean when I say that you learn exactly what sort of range you get out of your vehicles.
  20. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    beyond the hillbilly fest it can be a quieter town, comparo to other near by cities. I'm sure no pro, just an observation. it hasnt took off like many of the southern interior BC cities. if your into hip, thats not good, if your not or looking for cheaper digs, might be the place for you. some of Okanogan real estate is $$ shocking , 'specially if your coming from texas.

man, salmon arm ( ya' mon, salmon with arms:rofl ) what a cool town. just up the road. good food, riding....yeah...

The BC MC show is at abbotsford, late jan. , good show to hit.