Looking to rent a motorcycle in Switzerland in May.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by alexk243, Apr 21, 2019.

1. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taking a trip to Switzerland in May where I'll be riding from Zurich, a week through Switzerland, crossing to Italy from Lugano to Milan then headed to Bologna and flying out of Milan. Would like to rent a motorcycle for that week in Switzerland, but since it's a one way trip the prices are really high ($1500 a week). Does anyone know of rental companies that can do one way rentals cheaper? Was hoping to be in the $500 range for a week.

In the U.S. I ride a BMW F650GS, but the Ducati Multistrada seems popular there. Would be carrying a passenger and cargo.
  2. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    One way rentals are not much of a thing here in Europe, let alone trans frontier, trans jurisdictions.
    I have heard people talk of agencies doing it, but when pursued it seemed to fall apart.

Not heard of anyone mentioning anything much less than your first price point. You could maybe get a car for the lower price, but Switzerland is never cheap.

Best of luck - maybe someone else has better news.
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've rented twice from Moto Mader in Oberentfelden (about 35 km west of Zurich) - good results. Others have rented from Moto Center Bern/Thun with good reports.

Your best bet would be to ride it back to the rental agency and take a train to Milano. Not as convenient, but a load cheaper and easier.

Or... you could just go ahead and go to Milano from Zurich and rent a bike there.
    scfrank, pip_muenster and DantesDame like this.
  4. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'll double up on the recommendation for Moto Mader. I bought my bike there and they are excellent people to work with.

And yeah, finding a one-way rental through multiple European countries is going to be a tough one. And nearly impossible at the price-point you set :patch
    It might be cheaper to go direct to Milan, rent there and then ride around the Alps for a while, returning to Milan and taking the train to your destination.
    pip_muenster and MichaelJ like this.
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another one for the Mader Team at Oberentfelden.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Forgot:
    30min Zuerich Airport train connection, big choice of bikes and brands, 1km access to A1 Autobahn to all directions, 500m car-wash+fuel for returns, walking distance to small hotels in town etc etc
    It doesn't get any slicker than Mader!
    Fly in, ride, fly out...fun from first-to-last minute.
  7. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I like that you quoted yourself :jjen
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yeah - it's a bad pun, but Glitch deserves it.
  9. tangosixzero

tangosixzero Ride to stay sane

Oddometer:
    Drive your BMW F650GS to Toronto and use the Air Canada " fly your bike " program and then drive your own bike around Europe for as long as you like for a lot less money.
  10. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing else to report?

Yaaawn, shrug....

next!
    MichaelJ likes this.
  11. alexk243

Oddometer:
    I would love to bring my bike, but unfortunately this trip is not centered around me getting to ride.

Everything has already been booked (hotel/flights/etc...) and I am flying into Zurich and the trip is as follows Lucerne, Grindenwald, Zermatt, Lugano, Milan, Cortona (7 days)(italy), Riomaggiore, Milan (fly out). So would have loved to rent one for the route and use it instead of a rental car, but the pricing for that looks prohibitively expensive.

I looked at the Moto Mader, but I don't think they do one way rentals either. I will keep looking. Thank you all for the responses.
  12. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    If you're doing 7 days in Cortona, be sure to visit San Marino.
  13. alexk243

Oddometer:
    Yeah? even without a motorcycle?
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Half the fun is the cable car ride to the top.
  15. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucerne, visit far end of the lake, Vitznau (especially the hotel on the shore of the lake, wow) , ride the specialized train going up at 45 degrees to the top of mt. rigi....fun ride and a wonderful view fro the top.
  16. Patrizio

Patrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Hertz Rid?
  17. Patrizio

Patrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    I meant Hertz Ride, sorry!
  18. alexk243

Oddometer:
    Just looked at them, They don't rent in Switzerland and not really near where I am staying in Italy for a 1-2 day ride. If I rented from them for the whole time would be over $1000, which I guess may be the going rate, just a bit much for me.
  19. Patrizio

Patrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello there, (I just sent the info on Hertz Ride) have you thought of taking the train to Milan, rent there and back track a bit? The Alps are fairly quick to ride O:)) The train from Zurich to Milano is a little bit over 4 hours and they have quite a few trains during the day. I was born in this part of the world (I still spend most of summers there riding) but have been in the USA for over 40 years. You could check to rent in Geneva (on the less expensive French side) but you won't find anything that I know off for less than US$120/day anywhere in Europe. Sorry. I wish that I could be more helpful. Whatever you end up riding/driving you will enjoy this beautiful part of the world. I am on my way there in 2 weeks. I know that I will have to wait a while for some mountain passes to open since most of the high altitude ones don't open til June 15 at the earliest. Cheers
    MichaelJ and Roadscum like this.
  20. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Careful! It’s still snowing here. Most of the passes are still closed.