1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Loop through 25 States.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TitanADV, Feb 16, 2020.

1. TitanADV

TitanADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Not much of a forum kinda guy but so many people have advised me to post here for advice.

I am currently planning a trip through 25 states starting and ending at my home in Oregon.
    If my plans succeed I will be departing aboard a new KTM 790R near the end of April '20 heading
    south. I wish to stay on public roads for the most part, paved or dirt avoiding the freeways as much as possible. I have a long list of places I would like to visit during this trip but it feels very inadequate. I hoping this community can fill me in on the things I would be insane to miss.

I have allowed myself roughly 44 days including 7 days will family in St. Petersburg, FL and a few rest days. I plan to camp as much as possible.

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard and bobw like this.
  2. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can only add this....if you are coming that far and haven’t found a way to stop at Mammoth Cave NP and do a cave tour, followed up with a tour of Makers Mark Distillery, you need to reconsider your route. The best RIDiNG is in the central and eastern parts of the state, but those places should be on your stops list when you go through Kentucky.
  3. TitanADV

TitanADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes! This is the reason I am posting here. My route is not yet defined other than what I have pictured give or take a couple hundred miles in either direction of this route. I have plans to visit at least 2 distilleries in KY but haven't decided which ones. Mammoth Cave looks amazing and I may change my route to see this! Thanks.
    Ginger Beard and KYwoodsrider like this.
  4. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    MCNP is the BEST camp ground in the state too.
    TitanADV likes this.
  5. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you go near St. Louis, find time to vist the City Museum. Only nominally a museum, and a wierd and fun place. Chutes and ladders sort of between 10 floors. Beer and pizza too. Over 18 after 5 on Friday and Saturday. Look it up.
    TitanADV likes this.
  6. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you plan it get south west of STL in the Ozarks let me know. I know a lot of good roads, paved and unpaved and camp spots.
    TitanADV likes this.
  7. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow ... so many options! What a cool ride.

I'd suggest leaving New Mexico and heading to Presidio TX and riding the river road to Lajitas and then on through Big Bend. You're gonna be so close.

That stretch of river road (170 i think) is my best memory of riding in TX.
  8. sieg

Oddometer:
    Yes it's great, I'm camped in Lajitas right now. And correct it is 170 to 118 to 385 through the park.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Join the club!

9A9BD06D-C512-4F79-9F6D-D2E2BF824DAD.jpeg
    Ginger Beard and bobw like this.
  10. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you decide to come thru Central KY let me know. I live in Lawrenceburg. We have Four Roses and Wild Turkey distilleries, both with in a few minutes of my house. Also Woodford Reserve is close by and very nice. Markers Mark is about 45 minutes down the road.
    This may help
    https://kybourbontrail.com/?gclid=C...5TRpjgmappOdZDu2JWj_C_EiggW-VIRcaArwfEALw_wcB
  11. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Awsome trip and great choice of motorcycle! I think you are "doing it right" by having a few must sees and having flexibility to add local favorites to round out the itinerary.

Here is a link ( https://advrider.com/f/threads/riding-north-carolina-tn-and-va.1200235/)to some great Southeast info and all the Regional forums will have a bunch of good historic information as well as folks with home court advantage. The search function will give some good ideas as well.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. K12Pilot

K12Pilot Without a Care

Oddometer:
    Nice trip.

I plan on doing your upper part this year from NYC around the Great Lakes and back down & head west. Looking forward to it.

You are missing some great riding in the mountains ((
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've lived here in KY since 1973 but having visited many caves over the years as a tourist, I found several caves in the Ozarks more to my interest as a cave. Mammoth Cave area is a neat area though and I actually like the area better than the cave itself. We have been to several distilleries, some were visited well before they became more promoted, and while I agree they can be in neat spots, generally speaking they are not where I ride much. Just my taste here not saying whats a good or bad choice.

Blanchard Caverns is a neat spot and in the Ozarks, a great riding area too.
    The route, IMO of course, as the above comments, lies to heavily on the SE coastal area which is interesting culturaly, scenery, etc., but too much traffic. I'd pick an area, say Charleston, SC and nearby areas to visit and leave the rest alone? Just a thought.
    Going further, to go that far and manage to avoid much of the Rocky mtns is a travesty.
    Your route also avoids WV and VA and E TN which have great riding. Same can be said for missing the mtns in New England and entire NE USA.
    FL- We enjoy the state & mostly visit in February, arguably "THE" best weather month there. Again, IMO, I'd pass on riding out to the Keys. If you must go, so be it but for me to ride over a 100 miles in whats often bumper to bumper traffic both ways is not my idea of riding.
    I am not trying for being a naysayer, just IMO. I'd ride somewhere else by choice and leave FL off the trip altogether, not to say it lacks any interest but it's flat as a pancake and often crowded for a MC destination.
    Of course we have no idea where you've been before, or not, personal interests, so on.
    Lots of choices.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    In FL, I'd avoid riding the coast. Ride just east or west of center when traveling longitudinally unless cutting across to see specific towns or landmarks.

Cool towns to see:
    Apalachicola
    White Springs
    High Springs (outfitters galore)
    Cedar Key
    St Augustine
    Micanopy
    Key West

Cool things:
    We have a ton of natural springs!
    Salt Springs
    Rock Springs
    Ginnie Springs
    Ichetucknee Springs

Other Cool geological features:

Many reefs and mangrove estuaries to dive or snorkel
    Apalachicola Bluffs and ravines
    Devil's Millhopper
    Florida Caverns
    Lake Okeechobee
    The Everglades

Tons of scenic backroads, dirt roads and byways that will let you avoid most of the traffic congestion.
    kantuckid likes this.
  15. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking at your run from St. Louis up and through Chicago and, personally, I would look for an alternative--I lived in IN, IL, MO over 25 yrs and traveled around a lot those areas. I haven't done it but I would look at something like the River Road north of St. Louis. I would consider a ride from Kankakee, IL up to say north of Milwaukee a bust. I always found the area to be a lot of construction and roads in bad condition with a lot of traffic. Just my opinion and FWIW I enjoy riding through farm land and nothing but corn and soy beans, a lot.
  16. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, look at almost any other route than what you have planned from St Louis. My wife lived there for 4 years, and I lived in Madison. She just moved back Sunday. We are WAY, WAY TOO familiar that part of the country. I grew up in Chicago, still have family there, and almost never, ever take my motorcycle there. It is the most motorcycle-unfriendly big city I have ridden in (I haven't ridden in NYC). St Louis, Minneapolis, SF, Seattle, San Diego- all OK. Chicago- terrifying.
    I'd suggest this as an alternative from St Louis to St Paul. All are roads I have traveled. The stretch through IL is probably the best one can make of a bad situation.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St....0x87fc00903668a4b9:0x83fc320a8bf09709!1m0!3e0
    If you MUST go to Chicago, try getting off I-55 and follow one of the alignments of old US66. There are several, depending on location.
    If you MUST also go to Milwaukee, then my suggestion is to then also include Door County (tip of the thumb). Kinda new-England like without the eastern tourists, though you do have Illinoyances. Then something like WI29 to US45N, then maybe up to US2, to Duluth, and to MSP from there. Stop in Bayfield and take a cruise to the Apostle Islands.
    KevinP65 likes this.
  17. sieg

Oddometer:
  18. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you must do the keys
    Plan to ride at night going south
    Traffic much better
    Then come back early am and enjoy the ride
    Also never on a Friday Saturday and absolutely never on a Sunday
    Have fun
  19. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Re the Fl Keys, Its as if somebody flushed the toilet on Friday night, everything and everyone south bound out of Miami. Sunday the traffic is all North bound, toilet is backing up so to speak. Very nice ride either direction mid week.