Looped the Grand Canyon out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Crawdaddy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Exploron

Exploron exploron

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy who has been mapping and scouting out a route around the canyon. Your route should make that easier.
    I just hope the greenies don't see how much fun adventure riders are having, become green with envy, and start their road and trail closure agenda. I want to do this ride someday!
    Great RR!
    :clap
  2. kbblue

kbblue mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer:
    Nothing like standing on a rock looking out at the Canyon. Mesmerizing. There's a two day trip being planned from Phoenix for weekend of Oct 17/18 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509515). I was kinda debating whether to go or not. This reminded me that I need to be on that rock every 6 months or so. Thanks for the excellent RR.
  3. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great RR and you guys are men of steel. That is a lot of country to cover! :freaky Good job! steve
  4. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Great job guys.:thumb Better than the three day loop of the Canyon I did.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help when I was planning this loop......Crazy Jugs and Pt. Sublime were very scenic.....
  6. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Great ride & good job on the report. :clap :clap
  7. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Agreed.....I like this one......what a view! :clap ....... the view point I was standing on was far enough out that I could see far to the right of what's shown in this photo.....I just stood there mesmerized for a bit :D

(This is noted as View Point/Waypoint #5 on the Navajo Lands in my tracks posted here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514339 )

[​IMG]
  8. greengoose

greengoose n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap What a great adventure ride, Ive got to do that one some day
  9. scott_h

scott_h Scott Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lancaster, Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
    Nice job Chris!

This one is going on my bucket list.
  10. DustyRock

DustyRock Dusty

Oddometer:
    Chris, Roger. Thank you both for sharing your adventure. The pics & the reporting are fantastic. It is true dedication on both your parts that let us enjoy the journey with you. BTW it was a pleasure to ride with you both on the Mammoth trip & look forward to riding with you guys again. Until then. Happy trails ! Stay in touch.

Dusty
  11. Mr Sleazy

Mr Sleazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Crawdaddy and Strega:

Good job getting this done. Don't worry about the pics too much, you dont have to be a journalist, just a rider is OK! Having said this I like your TR

Would you mind posting a pic of the entire track in this threadÉ Would help to see the places you got to, and compare it to our track. I recognize some of your photos, in particular the boat, the place with the navajo wedding, and a few other spots.

Six of us completed a similar circumnav in spring 2009, I know we rode some of the same trails. We took a little under 2 weeks for ours, mainly camping, and extended a bit further away from the canyon especially into S Utah. Great part of the world.

Here was our route:

[​IMG]

Brian Pegg
  12. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
  13. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian and thanks again for your help in the planning stages.....we stayed pretty darn close to a direct overlay of your tracks on the southern side......we opted to jump down on 64 off of Gray Mtn and play tourist on the way into the south rim rather than staying on dirt over to Tusuyan (it had already been a long day on the Navajo Lands and we wanted to see the viewpoints off 64).......pretty much a direct overlay of your tracks between Tusuyan and Seligman with the exception of the re-route near Tin House.....and I played around with a few options to get to Triangle once you let me know there was gas at that location (thanks for the tip!)
  14. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report!

Looks like some awesome riding....sometimes I get tired of all of the trees we have here in 'da UP.
  15. Mr Sleazy

Mr Sleazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect! Thats what I was looking for.

Our routes pretty similar on the S side after Cameron. I think you guys took a better route between your crossing near Lee's Ferry and Cameron, we were off in the backcountry and had some serious sand riding; did see some amazing country but were not very close to the canyon.

We found the base maps (US Topo 2008) to be way out of whack especially in the Navajo lands as far as road/trail locations go. Showing trails and roads where none exist, and not showing the existing trails / roads in other locations. Puzzling!

I know there must be a good dirt route to get from where the Truck Rd comes into 64 from the S across to Desert View closer to the E fork of the Canyon. We ran into the same petered out trails you did in your "navajo wedding" area.
  16. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
  17. VegasRider

VegasRider Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Dammit, I need to get my VX running and adventurized. That looks like a very nice route for a long weekend.
  18. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Crawdaddy, thanks for the awesome report! I really enjoyed it!
    It looks like everything was perfect, nice bit of suspense to the story too!
    Cheers
  19. Hot Dog Stu

Hot Dog Stu I like pig anus.

Oddometer:
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    you have lost some photos at the end ... did you move em?