Looped the Grand Canyon out of Vegas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Crawdaddy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I used routes to plan this ride out in areas where I wasn't able to come up with any tracks to follow or tinker with.......had to create all planning routes in City Navigator 2009 since my Roads and Rec/Topo softwares are pretty old/out of date/don't allow auto routing........we came across a few "where the hell is the road/trail" sections out on the Navajo Lands but the routes were pretty accurate for the most part.....and now the track files that replaced the planning routes will be even better since they're derived from filtered active tracks rather than some guy sitting in front of his computer with a cold beer plotting out a path on a trail he's never seen :lol3 .....had to ride with City Navigator "on" when following "routes"........when we needed alternatives I simply I turned off City Navigator and displayed Roads and Recs instead.....never would've figured out a bypass for Tin House if I only had City Navigator to rely on.....
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Nice report and pics,
    this one is front page worthy!!

JR356
  3. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    :huh All photos are still up......
  4. contacterich

contacterich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a really cool trip with some gnarly sections too - cool photos. Thanks for posting this.
  5. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :)
  6. LucidMayhem

LucidMayhem Mountain scaling freak

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable..... Awesome report.
  7. airportparking

airportparking n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice post... interesting !

Thank you very much for your efforts!!
    Greatly appreciated!!![​IMG]
  8. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:
    I think i'll run this route next spring!

...let me know if you're in UT again!...
  9. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Update-You can NOT ride down to the bottom out of Peach Springs without potentially facing a $500 fine.

Don't waste your time here.......such a shame. I went to tribal head quarters/met with the tribal council after being denied entry a couple of months ago. I was told its "Tribal Law" that no two wheeled vehicles are permitted to ride down to the bottom regardless of the bike's worthiness/rider's ability & integrity.

My guess is they're trying to control the local teenagers/hooligans from tearing up the area with quads and bikes so they're making a broad sweep and denying passage to all. Told them the same thing.....they sat there stone faced. Tried to appeal to the loss of easy revenue.....stone faced.....told them I'd get the word out so folks don't divert over to town on bikes for a wasted trip......stone faced.

You CAN drive down in a truck/jeep......which are capable of doing much MORE damage than a bike............such B.S.
  10. cannonballrun

cannonballrun n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for this great reports. Get's me stoked! I'm relatively new to the moto world but I'm really loving it. I live in AZ. and a major goal for getting into adventure riding was to loop the big ditch someday. I have rafted the entire Grand Canyon twice and hiked it quite a bit. But I have always dreamed of looping it on a moto. I recently bought a KTM 500exc and I'm hoping to gear it up for a trip similar to this one towards the end of the summer. Thanks again for the entertaining stories and great details.
    -Cooper
  11. FBR

FBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR! I have wanted to loop the Grand Canyon for a few years now, and this report has pushed me over the edge. Planning on doing it this year.
    Thanks for the report, and the tracks.:clap
  12. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Go for it :1drink