1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Looping half of the Island of Samar in Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by GRIDLOCK, Jun 19, 2016.

1. GRIDLOCK

GRIDLOCK No Ride, No Life

Oddometer:
    When I was a Kid I ask this question to my dad " Is there a road from Catarman Northern Samar to Taft Eastern Samar?" His answer was I don't know son I never been there. Even other people living in the western part doesn't know if there is a road there. 25 years later I stumbled on flyingdutchman777 ride report and I suddenly remember that question that I ask my dad when i was a kid. Then I was too eager to ride there on a motorcycle. I never been there before and I want to see it with my own eyes not just pictures. I look to google maps and plot the course

Here's the Plan Route
    [​IMG]

Here's the Motorcycle That I took for this Ride
    [​IMG]

Preparation: Well I just took what I most need Money, a day worth of clothes, tools if my motorcycle broke down and an Iron ass because this will be a long stressfull day a butt destroyer.

The day of wreckoning
    June 18 2016
    8am checking Tire pressures
    [​IMG]

After checking tire pressures I went to gas station fill her up with a full tank of gas then go to the store buy bottled water. You must always bring a liter of water whenever you are riding here in the Philippines days are hot here.

Boundary line between 2 district. I came from district 2 and entering district 1
    [​IMG]

The kilometers that I need to rack up.
    [​IMG]

After the battling the twisties and crazy drivers I arrive at Calbayog. Went to the cheapest food available restaurant and order the Blood curry with rice 40 pesos or just about a dollar and im full.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After my brunch I got back on the road. Calbayog local riders are hell of a rider. When they see me they went berserk and beast mode baiting me to race them which I didn't obliged because to much traffic on the road and I don't want to ruin my day if got caught in an accident.
    The junction. If you are travelling to luzon you must take the left route it goes to Allen northern samar where there are a lot of roll on roll off ferries my route is to the right to catarman.
    [​IMG]

After I take the right turn I was travelling at the riverside road and make a stop to check how clean the river is.
    [​IMG]

And then I just found the perfect spot to have a cigar break.
    [​IMG]

After the break I proceed to my adventure. The road here in catarman-calbayog road are superb.
    The twisties are so much technical than the AH26. After having fun on the twisties I arrived at Catarman northern Samar I quickly went to the nearest gas station and quickly refuel my motorcycle. It doesn't have range that you get in an adventure bike. my bike range is just 160km or 100 miles.
    The mall here
    [​IMG]

Then I went to the biggest University here in the Island the University of Eastern Philippines it has an open campus it means you can have a stroll inside its campus. here's the pic of the amphitheater
    [​IMG]
    there are only few students walking around and I ask one of them why and quickly one of the girls answer its saturday the teachers are off on saturday.

Laoang Northern Samar here I go.
    [​IMG]

While I was riding I notice the beaches but they are all walled up so look for the gate and ask the security if could go in and he said yes sir you can check our resort.
    [​IMG]
    went around to look for a shade to light another stick of a cigar.

After the break I rode again. roads here in catarman to laoang are boring few corners and lots and lots of stretches. after speeding up to 120kph I reach the 2nd engineering district of northern samar.
    [​IMG]
    there you go long stretches but the good thing is the road in 2nd district has shouldering so its safer to over speed.

I reach Laoang northern samar and when i was at the port my stomach is grumbling. I look for food and order a chicken adobo and rice with a softdrink for 70pesos.
    [​IMG]

Then I went to boaters or the boatmen and they ask me if I want to cross the river. so I said yes. so they quickly load my motorcycle on the boat and I panic for a second because I thought my motorcycle would fall to the water. This where ed also loaded his motorcycle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Actually this place is a river delta where river meets the sea.
    [​IMG]
    no smooth sailing today

to be continued
  2. GRIDLOCK

Oddometer:
    I discontinued my report due internet problems. ok here's the continuation.

The port just a stone throw away.
    [​IMG]

When they disembark the bike it almost give me a heart attack the bike almost got fall to the water.
    Touch down and a picture inside Laoang town
    [​IMG]

I rode through town and ask for directions for the exit and the locals are friendly they explain this and that.

who would thought that there is long stretch road here in semirara island.
    [​IMG]

After traveling several kilometers I quickly reach the other side port and berthed onto ferry. 70 pesos for the ride
    The boat here is bigger compared to my first boat ride. It has loading ramp which you can easily load your motorcycle in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the better picture of the boat with loading ramp. It can be use by military for landing in some beaches.
    [​IMG]

After I disembark from the boat went to a store to by some refreshment and quickly inspected my bike. The radiator shroud cracked because one of the guys who loaded this bike just grabs this piece of plastic and damage it. Oh well don't want to ruin my day for just this damage. The ride continues.
    [​IMG]

The welcome arch of town of palapag
    [​IMG]

After riding for tens of kilometers I see now the coast. wow.
    [​IMG]
    and the coastal road. My home town has no coastal roads because people just built houses on the coast and it ruined the view of sea.
    [​IMG]
    December 2015 Typhoon Nona Devastated this place. I think it was more beautiful before it was hit by the storm.
    [​IMG]
    And the coconut tress almost dried up because the Philippines now is suffering from El Nino phenomenon it means drought for a whole season.
    [​IMG]

And the road where Ed the flyingdutchman also took some pictures. Beautiful road.
    [​IMG]

Upon riding along this beautiful secluded place in the Philippines I stumbled on this landmark
    [​IMG]
    And then I read the gryphic
    [​IMG]
    I will still call this road the Samar Pacific Coastal Road.

The Greatest View on this coast.
    [​IMG]
    Another view.
    [​IMG]

White sand beach. Too bad its low tide
    [​IMG]

I quickly reach the town of mapanas and refill my tank with gas.
    [​IMG]

rode again then entering the town of gamay and I bought a bottle of water to rehydrate my self. I was sweating a lot due to heat I remove my jacket and then ATGATT no more just helmet and longsleeve shirt. The one thing that I really love about this road is that only few motorcycles and trucks passes through here. It came to my mind the traffic jam of metro manila and why people loves to live there when there is this place beautiful only few people around and no traffic. You get all the beach by yourself here unlike boracay it too touristy and expensive. Oh well back to the road

After passing the town of Lapinig the last town of Northern Samar. Just a few kilometers I entered the Border of Eastern Samar.
    [​IMG]

And passing these barangay. The residents here are celebrating it fiesta lots of eating, drinking and karaoke.
    [​IMG]

The beautiful scenic road is now gone as I munching the miles in eastern samar.
    Arriving the sleepy town of Arteche.
    [​IMG]

Newly pave roads. I talk to the locals they say that few years ago this road was unpaved almost like a trail during rainy season the road became hell that the whole towns was cut off from the provincial capital. If had started this trip few years ago maybe I had real adventure riding on a dual sport. [​IMG]

I just enjoy the twisties. Knee down to the right knee down to left. wow this bike handles really well on the twisties and the torque always give a grin on my face. and then I arrive at San Policarpio which I read facebook has amazing beaches so I look and ask the locals they said it was just on road side. So found one and gate crash on it.
    [​IMG]
    The beach. Not that white thou.[​IMG]
    The sand has some crystals on it.
    [​IMG]
    The water is clear enough to call it good beach. Most beaches on my place doesn't have white sand and clear waters.
    Not that crowded.
    [​IMG]
    I just hang out my bag and helmet and lit a cigar again

Rode off again passing the town of oras which to my surprise the crowd lots of crowd and it was cock fighting philippines no. 1 leisure time sport of the filipinos. didn't had time click my phone.
    And I arrive at dolores stop over at a convenience store buy some refreshments and crackers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taking a break again. My ass hurts real bad. I hope there are some after market seats out there that is more comfortable.

Rode again aproaching the town of Taft eastern samar. I miss the turn and almost end up in town and back tracking for a few hundred meters.
    [​IMG]

The road from Taft to Paranas. Freshly paved and Its not Boring the twisties are perfect.
    [​IMG]

The Loop Da Loop bridge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The construction firm are really putting their efforts on landslide prevention
    putting a net face of the mountain.
    [​IMG]
    and the superb but some kind of errie feeling about this road.
    [​IMG]

I rode for miles and miles and there it is the boundary of eastern samar and western samar. The arch is ruin and neglected by the local officials.
    [​IMG]
    ah such a wonderfull scenery
    [​IMG]

What a thing of beauty
    [​IMG]

The mountain range on the horizon
    [​IMG]
    They carve the mountain side to prevent some landslide from happening.
    [​IMG]

And now my favorite corner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And thats it time to finish now my Ride Report. Just got home at 7pm after 11 hours of riding solo and venturing into the unknown part of my home island and enjoying erery part of it. A dream that came true after 25 years of the question that I ask to my Dad. This is just a small step into a bigger adventure in the future and excuse my vocabulary Im not a native speaker.
    WaraiAdvRider likes this.
  3. WaraiAdvRider

WaraiAdvRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks pafz gridlock for sharing this will be my route (via allen-catarman-laoang-arteche-borongan...) on my next ride to my home province of e. samar...
  4. GRIDLOCK

Oddometer:
    are you boysantol on MCP? hehe. thanks for liking my post. there will be more to come. I kinda getting addicted to this adventure motorcycling stuff.
  5. WaraiAdvRider

WaraiAdvRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes pafz...hehe. pwede ba mag tagalog ditto nose bleed ako eh...nyahaha. ako rin I've done north Luzon loop solo last 2014 and solo baler road trip too early this year and I have the rr in mcp. can I share it here too kahit luma na? and every time I went home to samar I always take my mc 5x already.
  6. GRIDLOCK

Oddometer:
    I think it is prohibited to write in our local dialect because this is an international forum. I suffer dangerous amount of nosebleed when I wrote this RR I am suffering from anemia now. Yep you can share your rides here. I love it here on advrider because it gives me the biggest influence and bravery to ride far out beyond our horizons.
  7. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nobody will know, small audience in this subforum. Actually the way you wrote your RR Gridlock I didn't think you were a pinoy. Never in my life have I heard anyone call dinuguan "blood curry". Lol Our nickname for it is "chocolate meat". When someone tries it for their first time and says "it doesn't taste like chocolate" we all laugh and only then tell them what the ingredients are. Lol

_
  8. WaraiAdvRider

WaraiAdvRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah I did start a new thread at 'day trippin' I hope that was the right location or they mods can move it to 'regional/asia' as you did? I mean where you write this RR?
    Broski88 likes this.
  9. GRIDLOCK

Oddometer:
    Actually I really dont know the correct english term for dinugoan and its looks like a curry so I invented that kind of name. I think its cool to call it the blood curry. hehe.
  10. GRIDLOCK

Oddometer:
    I really dont know if this is the right place to post RR. In the day trippin section I dont see anybody wrote an RR about their short day trips in asia. so I wrote it this subforum.
  11. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe blood stew since it has no curry powder.

Probably not the right place but I think it is the best place. If you put it in day trippin it would get lost and buried with the thousands of other RR's. Here you have a targeted and interested audience.

_
    WaraiAdvRider likes this.
  12. GRIDLOCK

Oddometer:
    thanks for clarifying that. I always thought that it was not the right place to put the RR and the mods are not gonna be happy. everytime I received alerts i always presume it was the mods. hehe.