Loose Nut Dual Sport 2015: SE Indiana - Nov 7 & 8, 2015

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Loose Nut, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut wannabe Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    After visiting the Triple Whipple Bridge and the Speakman house, turn north on Hwy 56 for lunch and gas…………..return here to pick up Sunday afternoon’s track back toward Clifty Falls State Park……..You might even want to return to the Triple Whipple and examine its structure one more time.

Suggested gas and lunch stop on Sunday will be in Aurora, Indiana – nicknamed the City of Spires. Stop by the grocery store pick up a fantastic deli sandwich and come down to Lesko Park on the waterfront for a picnic……….Big Dog and I saw a little steam powered pleasure boat out on the water blowing it’s whistle.

Aurora was platted in 1819. It was named for Aurora, the goddess of dawn in Roman mythology. The town is best known for its picturesque historic downtown area and the ornate Hillforest mansion built for Thomas Gaff. Gaff earned his fortune shipping goods on the Ohio River by steamboat. The mansion was designed by architect Isaiah Rogers and was completed in 1855 in the Italian Renaissance style. The design is completely symmetrical. Details include deep overhangs, arched windows and balconies and porches. Certainly worth the visit………just head up 5th St from Lesko Park – you can’t miss it.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

And if you are hanging out with the Big Dog………make sure you carry and an extra Dogi-Pot!

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Per the locals, we are going to ride on the very last gravel road in Ohio County……….we’ll view and ride some pretty fantastic roads and make our way into Vevay……….pronounced VEE-vee.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

It is a beautiful old town located in Switzerland County along the Ohio River. Vevay was founded in 1802 by Swiss immigrants intending on cultivating grapes and producing wine. It was named after the Swiss town of Vevey. Vevay has a reputation as being the home of the first commercial winery in the United States. When Switzerland County was formed in 1814, Vevay was made the county seat. Vevay holds an annual celebration called the Swiss Wine Festival. It is usually held on the last weekend in August. Our tracks will take us right past the Schenk Mansion. The Benjamin Franklin Schenck Mansion is a 35 room mansion, built in 1874 by Benjamin Franklin Schenck. It is currently a bed and breakfast.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

The U.P. Schenck House was built in 1846 for Ulysses P. Schenck, a Swiss riverboat captain who owned a fleet of flat bottom river boats.

The Armstrong Tavern is a two-story log house built in 1816 by Thomas Armstrong.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

The Hoosier Theatre was built in 1837 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Theatre is a 225-seat historic theatre located at 209 Ferry Street. It was built in 1837 as a warehouse and store to serve the town's large Ohio River traffic. Over the years it has housed a saddlery, the local post office, a tavern, the offices of the Vevay Newspaper, and a theatre, which it became in 1926. It was abandoned in 1955 and sat vacant until 1983, when Historic Vevay, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation was formed to purchase and restore the building. It re-opened in 1987 and continues to operate.

But two of my favorite things in Vevay are:

1 – Danner’s Hardware and Home Furnishings – the oldest continuously operated business on the original site in Indiana………folks this here store has been in this very spot since 1838.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

2 – Shell’s Ice Cream………….just outside downtown on the east side of Vevay……….hopefully it wont be too cold next weekend for an ice cream snack

[​IMG][/URL
    ]
  2. Loose Nut

Oddometer:
  3. Kaveman

Kaveman Unga.. Bunga..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! This is going to be Great!!!
    Loose Nut likes this.
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give a big thanks to Loosenut at the ride.
    You all have no idea of all the time he has spent looking over this area and checking out every single road in the area.
    He made many trips over there poking around--sometimes in the truck in the dead of winter.
    Of course--------------he enjoyed every minute of it.

BigDog
    Kaveman, gluaisrothar, blrfjr and 4 others like this.
  5. Loose Nut

Oddometer:

Thanks Big Dog!

i hope you all enjoy it.........cause i sure have so far!
    gluaisrothar and gwhis like this.
  6. hackrman

hackrman Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job Loose Nut!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    billgo77, Loose Nut and gwhis like this.
  7. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :stfu:asshat:boid:finger:dhorse:marc:fight:jomomma:rad
    Loose Nut likes this.
  8. zamboni9

zamboni9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these pictures from the TAT?
    Loose Nut likes this.
  9. BackRoadNomad

BackRoadNomad I'm retired...go around me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loose Nut & BigDog, a simple "Thank You" for your personal time and efforts to provide us with this opportunity to enjoy beautiful southeast Indiana doesn't seem like enough...so I came up with this

[​IMG]
    Loose Nut likes this.
  10. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    well done steve, lotsa work put into this. i really dig the history lesson.
    BackRoadNomad and Loose Nut like this.
  11. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden many of the roads around Madison in the past few years. Now I find I haven't scratched the surface. This is going to be epic and only five more days to wait. Guess i'll go out and check the chain tension, air pressure and change the oil---AGAIN. Then what? Still five more days! Maybe I should just go for a ride.
  12. bobzilla56

bobzilla56 twowheels

Oddometer:
    Anywhere I have not been, I'm on my way now.
    This is going to be fun, I can't wait!
    Loose Nut likes this.
  13. Gillihan

Gillihan GORILLAHANDS

Oddometer:
    If this holds up we are Golden! image.png
    Loose Nut likes this.
  14. EBR458

EBR458 Evil Black Rifle

Oddometer:
    Id be happy with that. The last Loose nut ride my gel seat was frozen in the mornings lol maybe this ride too.
    Loose Nut and Gillihan like this.
  15. Gillihan

Gillihan GORILLAHANDS

Oddometer:
    Yes. Last year I almost gave up motorcycles. Well... For about a minute. Haha. Was cold though. Brrrr
    Loose Nut likes this.
  16. Loose Nut

Oddometer:

thanks BackRoadNomad!
  17. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't sleep
  18. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    thats because it's only 8pm!
    Gillihan likes this.
  19. Gillihan

Gillihan GORILLAHANDS

Oddometer:
    This whole thing is shaping up to something special. :super SoupBill and Jones are out this year. "My regular group" However 1TRAK, Clawdog60 And 1TRAK's gang have been nice enough to put a group together including little ole me. Looking forward to riding with some new blood. Let the adventure Begin!!
    I'll still love you long time Uncle Phil.
    :rogue
    kdk800 and Loose Nut like this.
  20. JayDub

JayDub Havin Fun

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to this and hoping the weather holds out for tent camping! Just had the bike out to stretch it's legs today getting ready for next weekend. Looks like a lot of fun.
    Loose Nut likes this.