Loose Nut Dual Sport 2015: SE Indiana - Nov 7 & 8, 2015

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Loose Nut, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Shooplick

Shooplick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That third bridge looks tricky
    Loose Nut likes this.
  2. gwhis

gwhis Let's ride

Oddometer:
    I was out on the bikes yesterday, had a flat on the DR right by that bright red bridge that Mike likes so well. Rode it the 15 miles home, got on the green DRZ and went back out. Would have been neat if we'd crossed paths. Let me know if I can be of any help to you. I'm the 3rd house on right from US50.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  3. DutchTerror

DutchTerror Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You go first! lol
    Loose Nut likes this.
  4. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help Loose Nut... Looks and sounds like a fun ride. Those bridges are great!
  5. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks like a fun local ride. Any idea if this will be an IL or IN ride this year? Guess I could read the first post again. Might go out and ride last years gpx.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  6. Indiana Bones

Indiana Bones Ride Against the Grain

Oddometer:
    In and can't wait to freeze my loosenuts off! :evil
    Loose Nut likes this.
  7. Loose Nut

Loose Nut wannabe Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tracks Posted.....see first post of the thread..............finally and Yeeeeeehaaaaaaw!

Let's ride.............more pics and a little history of the area to follow
    gwhis likes this.
  8. gwhis

gwhis Let's ride

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun ride, I rode 200 miles yesterday on many of those roads. This is a beautiful area with great roads with neat things to see. I'm really looking forward to this event. See you there. 2015-10-04 15.01.59.jpg
  9. DIRTLIFE757

DIRTLIFE757 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying to get that weekend off, The ride layout looks awesome!
    gwhis likes this.
  10. benb1

benb1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the consensus on doing this ride on a plated XR400? I have it geared up a bit more for the road and accidentally put a larger rear tire on recently (turns out Pirelli and Michelin measure their tires a bit differently). I'm not terribly concerned with speed, though the top end of the comfort range is around 55-60 mph, else I feel I burn too much oil. If this ride is limited pavement I think I'll be fine, the GPS tracks seem to indicate a decent amount of gravel. Could anyone give an estimation on pavement/gravel %?

I rode last years LN without much issue on the XR, but have heard this years ride isn't as off-road heavy/friendly.
  11. gwhis

gwhis Let's ride

Oddometer:
    You will be fine on the XR. there is a fair amount of pavement, but it is not the high speed straight-flat boring type of pavement. Some of the northern and western sections will be the least fun on a dirt bike. I don't think you will be disappointed. You will be happier on it in some rough sections, than the guys on the big ADV bikes. I ride this area on my DRZ a lot and it's pretty much a dirt bike.
  12. benb1

benb1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect, going to go ahead and pick up a new stator and add some more electrical farkles to the bike then.
    gwhis likes this.
  13. Loose Nut

Oddometer:
    gwhis - you'll recognize quite a few of the tracks as they were "borrowed" from your track file suggestions

it finally came together and we rode it start to finish to double check all the interconnects. it's going to be a great ride - probably 50/50 gravel/pavement.............ended up with a lot more gravel than i thought we were going to be able to link together but it will be a couple of long days on a plated dirt bike. I;ve ridden the entire main track with a Vstrom.......so the big ADV bikes will be able to enjoy the ride.......but i dont think i could get the vstrom through several of the knobby sections without tearing something up

going to get to visit some really neat old historical structures and bridges and lots of creeks / low water crossings........at least i'm hoping the water is going to be low
    gwhis likes this.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Video uploading right now !!!!!!!!!
    The one drop off was almost straight down about 12ft.
    Although it don't look like it in the video.
    BigDog
    Loose Nut likes this.
  15. gwhis

gwhis Let's ride

Oddometer:
    I rode through most all of the creeks yesterday with no problem, but some were deeper than expected. Glad to be of some help. I think you have included the best SE IN has to offer.

Have you ridden all of those knobby tracks? I don't think all of them are still usable, at least as far as I know.
    knobby 2 - it's been a few years since I used this route and I wouldn't feel comfortable going there without checking with someone first,
    knobby 3 - had road closed sign up yesterday
    knobby 5 - I used to go through there 15 years ago but not recently, it has a private feel to it now.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  16. Loose Nut

Oddometer:

it was my intention to show tracks on public roads.....although some of them are pretty well abandoned......they all show up on maps and were not posted as private property or gated off the last time i visited. i have ridden all of those knobby tracks recently and did not ride past any "no trespassing" signs - they were all passable and all are shown on some maps as roads: everyone please note - This is a Ride At Your Own Risk ride...........if it doesn't feel right don't do it!

knobby 1 - i did have to ride around a road closed sign on the south side to drop down into the double creek crossing and i did check and there was not a road closed sign on the north side. I figured the road closed sign was to keep little old ladies from driving their Buick into the creek. Ride At Your Own Risk!

knobby 2 - rode that creek crossing on the vstrom with out incident. there was a gate and it was open. no signs! but it does feel a little private on the north side but you can still see the old gravel road base through the grass........I did show a waypoint of the sheriff deputy's resident at the outlet of knobby 2 section........again - no signs - maps show an old road - Ride At Your Own Risk!

knobby 3 - i don't remember seeing a road closed sign but it may have been there.........i'm usually just looking for private property or no trespassing signs.........road closed usually just means its starting to get interesting. Remember - Ride At Your Own Risk!

knobby 5 - yep, rode this just a week ago without any problem and it does feel a little private, but there are lots of places where the county road winds up through someones side lot..........we came in from the south, crossed the creek - found the old road and followed it out to the north through open gates. If you enter Webster Rd from the south, there were not any signs of road closed or private property or no trespassing . However, if you ride Webster Rd and come from the north and the farmer has one of his gates "closed" you would see a Road Closed sign on his gate.......again I figure the road closed sign on his gate is just to keep little old ladies from driving thier Buick out into his pasture and running over his cows. Remember - Ride At Your Own Risk!

if these roads get posted or gates closed, please respect private property and no trespassing signs. again - everyone, please remember Ride At Your Own Risk!
    Mudaura, gwhis and AC909 like this.
  17. gwhis

gwhis Let's ride

Oddometer:

Thank you for the clarification. This is my main riding area and I ride it quite often and have for many years. That being said I'd hate for someone to get stuck or caught trespassing on someones private property and and cause future problems for the rest of us riders, just saying. I have ridden all of those tracks before but chose not to any more because I'm not sure I'm welcome there.
  18. Mudaura

Mudaura Domestic Tourist

Oddometer:
    About to download tracks, thanks for the hard work! Can't wait!
    brewski83 and Loose Nut like this.
  19. Justarida

Justarida Genius At Large

Oddometer:
    Tracks downloaded!
    This looks like an awesome ride!
    Me an the old XR will be ready.
    brewski83 and Loose Nut like this.
  20. Kaveman

Kaveman Unga.. Bunga..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to get home from work and check them out.
    Loose Nut likes this.