1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Loose Nut Dual Sport Ride 2019 – Eastern KY – Nov 2nd & 3rd, 2019

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Loose Nut, Jan 19, 2019.

1. ClemsonRuckus

ClemsonRuckus n00b

Oddometer:
    Loving the historical aspect of this ride, not only is it going to be a tough one - but might learn a thing or two along the way!

@Loose Nut: For those of us that prefer riding as a group what time are most thinking about hitting the dirt from the KOA on Friday / Saturday / and Sunday?

Can't wait!!
    Macau and Loose Nut like this.
  2. Loose Nut

Loose Nut wannabe Super Supporter

Oddometer:

thank you for your kind words......departures usually depend on the weather.......most will leave within the hour after daylight.......but there will be a few stragglera that wont get away from camp until 10am or so.........Saturday's tracks are a full day of riding.......you'll need to get away early if you want to ride them all!
    ClemsonRuckus and Macau like this.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, after following this since about February with indecision finally today I booked a room at the Day's Inn for three nights starting Thursday. I'll be there on a 690 KTM looking to ride a moderate pace.

I think the history lesson finally convinced me I need to learn more about eastern Kentucky.

That and the cornbread and beans :dukegirl
    Loose Nut likes this.
  4. Loose Nut

Oddometer:

and cobbler saturday night.........and dont forget Settler Beans on Friday evening at the KOA Kampers Kitchen.........please come by tje campground and visit with us
  5. jejeosborne

jejeosborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up Steve. I know you spend countless hours a year on this ride for the enjoyment of so many. You are legendary. :clap
  6. Loose Nut

Oddometer:
    Thank You Jeff! I really appreciate your thoughts........I hope you enjoy the tracks as much as i did putting them together
    jejeosborne likes this.
  7. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To those that are hotel-ing it and have smaller bikes... What do you plan to do with your bike at night to keep it from growing legs?
  8. jejeosborne

jejeosborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always do. Planning on waking up early so that I can finally complete a route before the sun sets.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't given it much thought. I will be carrying my bike on a hitch rack on my van. I have a chain and padlock I can bring. I'm supposed to have a ground floor room so I may just bring it in the room if it will fit, I've done that before.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  10. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was there when four or five of them disappeared out of the koa over two nights. Sad that it has to be considered .
  11. Macau

Macau n00b

Oddometer:
    I use ARBUS brand chain lock as needed. Always carry it on the KLR250 since it is sub-300 lb. Couple guys with a pickup could toss it in and be gone in 10 sec. Loop it thru back wheel and fixed place or trailer hitch.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey 'nut, just how "knobby" are the "knob" sections? I see that you have a lot of them this year and I don't want to miss any. Will I be fine on the 690 or should I ride the 350 EXC?
    BTW You seem to have raised the bar again this year, you put soooooo much effort into this ride. :thumb Linda and I enjoy your rides immensely, can't thank you enough.
    Loose Nut and BackRoadNomad like this.
  13. JonnyH913

JonnyH913 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and the misses are in. KOA website looks like nothings available, but I'm calling here shortly to see. Looking forward to it all, this will be my first time riding east of Illinois
    Loose Nut likes this.
  14. hackrman

hackrman Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not had the opportunity to ride even most of it this year with him, but the small portion of knobby sections I rode were KNOBBY SECTIONS! Listening to the others talk about when they rode with him make it sound like I missed the hard parts. Remember though I'm not the best of riders, and we rode after rains.
    Loose Nut likes this.
  15. buellfire

buellfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not trying to speak for Loose Nut here, and I have not seen the tracks however I can tell you that this area is very scenic and can be very challenging to ride. If you would like to see a sample of the area look up videos or threads on the Kentucky adventure trail or the KAT. I have a feeling that some of the area between Renfro Valley/London and Slade/Red River Gorge will be on this ride. Thank you Loose Nut for putting this together, I'm really looking forward to this ride!
  16. JonnyH913

JonnyH913 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just called and got a site reserved, didn't catch my site number. Sounded like slim pickins, full hookup for the price of primitive due to none available. I won't complain.
    Loose Nut and sieg like this.
  17. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the KAT and Paul's Renfro Valley AMA dual sport and several other rides in the area so I'm very familiar with what can be there. Just can't tell how "expert" the expert and knob sections are from Google Earth. And though I've probably ridden a lot of it in my life I can't remember everything.

As for as Loose Nut overlapping the KAT, it would be impossible to ride 3 days from Renfro and not hit some of the KAT. But form comparing the tracks, I commend him for avoiding it as much as possible and making his ride unique.
  18. Sameer Dawood

Sameer Dawood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    First time doing something like this. Me and my 2 friends will be there for saturday and sunday ride.
    We will be staying at london KY amd coming down for ride both days.
    Stallard1, Loose Nut and SwiftDual like this.
  19. DVD_MN

DVD_MN WR250F,CRF250L,800XC,FHLX

Oddometer:
    @Loose Nut Hello and thanks for putting this all together and looks like you have done it for many years. Awsome detail on the history of the area as well. Top-notch on all ends. Wow, this looks awesome and I have been reading along and seen some videos/pics for the area. Thinking about venturing down from MN. I have a couple bikes that I could bring down and wanted to reach out for your opinion and others that have ridden the area. I have read that some of the rides are big bike friendly. I have a Tiger 800XC but I also have a Wr250F that has been made street legal here in MN and I will need to check requirements in KY. I am thinking I prefer the WR but its not really made for long distances on running at highway speeds but if most of the rides are broken up it might be the one that puts the biggest smile on my face. I also could bring my wifes CRF250L for a good overall candidate. I might also get a buddy to tag along and we would bring the WR and CRF. Just looking for your expert opinion for the area. I would be driving in on Friday and riding Saturday and Sunday and leaving Sunday night to start heading back.
  20. A_SAPPER

A_SAPPER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a RV site booked there, I will be canceling it due to RV issues. I had been holding off hoping to have RV back up and going but it don't look like it is going to happen.