Los Angeles Chargers. Its official

Discussion in 'Sports' started by smdave, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    He was fighting with A J Smith the GM. If i remember correctly, Marty wanted to hired his own brother Kurt to be DC. Spanos thought he could get Jimmy Johnson to come out of retirement to replace Marty. History shows, that it did not work out. Hate to say this, and as much as i dislike Eli, but Archie Manning was right....
    Jurgen likes this.
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I remember when they fired him... I couldn't believe it then, and I can't believe it now. You would think in such a results-oriented environment, that the coach's results [14-2!!!] would matter more than a feud with the GM.

Apparently not.
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Redskins fired him too, after a good season. Marty definitely made his teams choke in the playoffs. But he got them there an awful lot.
  4. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    He is some of what made the Chargers couch killers, and fan killers. When they were playing the Pat's for the chance to go to the super bowl in 2006. Before the game Marty told the DB's ( and it is on film " A football Life") that they would be the ones to win the game for them. He told them once they picked off Brady late in the game, TO FALL DOWN WITH THE BALL !!!.

What happened? DB Marlin McGree picked off a 4th down pass late in the game for the win, but instead of falling down with the ball, he tries to run it back, fumbles, Pat's recover, go on to win. The Browns of the West...
  5. Beelzabob

Beelzabob I don't feel tardy.

Oddometer:
    I grew up in SD. Watched Air Coryell with Dan Fouts throwing to JJ and Winslow, Humphries and Natron means business. LT/Seau. HOF period! I moved shortly after that out of state but always had a soft spot for SD. The one thing I do know is that the Spanos family were a bunch of selfish, petty and greedy people. I will no longer EVER support them. DONE!
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    This is what is known as a "lateral move". Not sure how moving to LA is gonna solve any of the Chargers problems. :confused
    Jurgen likes this.
  7. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the new zip code will bring immediate result and they will playing for champion of the world next February. (2018)

If they can find the DeLorean.
  8. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Green Bay metro area only has about 300,000. Milwaukee is a little over 100 miles away, but still....
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  9. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is there to do in Green Bay/Milwaukee in the winter? Football fills the baseball, basketball, hockey niche for Green Bay. Stockton and Anchorage have about the same population. Wonder why there no NFL teams in those cities?
  10. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC the city of Green Bay either owns or partially owns the team so they're not going anywhere. Still at times there is discussion of various NFL cities being to small to support a team. Cities like St. Louis and KC, both of which have much bigger metro populations than Green Bay. Yet Green Bay manages to sell out most of their games. I'm surprised Green Bay doesn't have a hockey team now that you mention it.
    As to other things to do in winter in the Great White North, as a former resident of the UP, I can attest that there is drinking, pool, sex, shoveling snow and drinking.
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    If the NFL started today, there wouldn't be a team in Green Bay either. They're a happy accident of history. The Stockton argument is irrelevant.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Those Coryell/Fouts teams were fantastic fun to watch. Gave birth to Joe Giibbs too, something for which Redskins fans will always be grateful.
  13. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Presumably the owners like their stadium revenues better? And hope for more marketing bucks?
  14. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:

The issue in St. Louis wasn't attendance. It was great until fans realized that Kroenke was going to move the team no matter what.

The issue in St. Louis was stadium revenue. The Rams didn't own the stadium. Also, Kroenke is a real estate guy and he probably bought the team in 2010 with an eye to leveraging it into a mega Los Angeles real estate deal. As soon as he bought it, the team was toast in St. Louis.

As for Green Bay, in small markets, when you're the only team in town, you tend to have good attendance. In the NBA OKC and Sacramento sell well even though they're small markets. The Raiders will do just fine in Las Vegas unless they really stink. Not sure the hockey team will affect them.
  15. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    "Share of homes in the Los Angeles television market that watched Fox’s NFL telecasts this year, down from 8.3 percent in 2015." — fivethirtyeight

Meaning fewer people watched football in L.A. after the Rams moved there!
  16. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's hard for me to respect teams that move. If the owners, and the NFL, cared at all about the fans then teams that move should be forced to forfeit their name, history, and stats. The Chargers should cease to exist and that idiot Spanos should be forced to start over with a new franchise name and zero history. Same with the impending Raiders move.

This whole NFL thing...they've about lost me anyway.
  17. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's because they went to the game instead.
  18. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Well, damn... you're probably right. I need more coffee this morning... my brain's not working.

Which isn't much different from most mornings. I just really want more coffee. :lol3
  19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    New stadium. (Qualcomm is a 40 year old concrete donut.)
  20. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Having a home team means fewer games on TV. And being force fed the local team, who were awful.
    flei likes this.