Lost Cause

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Pokie, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know, I'm one of the leaders of lost causes when it comes to motorcycles. I will often pick up a motorcycle that I feel sorry for and breath new life into it only to be scoffed at by friends and neighbors. I presently have at least five of these pulling at my spare time. The most recent being a BMW that got stripped and thrown away because of its previous owner. Why I say BECAUSE of its previous owner is, the previous owner wanted a chopper, so that's what he tried to build,... tried.

The PO (previous owner), I'm guessing, pictured himself a welder as well as a customizer. I'm here to say I think he missed on both counts. I have been welding up holes that were drilled all over the frame as well as actually creating parts that were cut off the frame and discarded as "not necessary". I am building up this bike as a chopper, yeah, I know, not something I'm interested in but otherwise, it may never be a bike again.

All I'm offering here is for you to come along for the ride as the work or problems unfold. If you find this of little or no interest,... then I apologise ahead of time.
  2. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every so often, an orphan frame surfaces around here. Perhaps box the parts and wait for just such an orphan. Frankly, regardless of elsewhere, I see little interest here in choppers.

3. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Like I said, it may not be of any interest to folks here, with enough negativity, I'll stop posting on it. It IS a BMW airhead so I thought it would be ok.
  4. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    It's still winter here so I'll have time to check in on your progress. :thumb
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    Making something out of nothing, or a bare minimum at least, is always interesting. And we know you do good work so we will happily await the rewards.

I have most recently, almost the last 2 years, been doing the same thing with a human being. Hope she gets a clue soon or I'll have to bail out.

You forgot the pics?
  6. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    Should be plenty of interest here Pokie.
    With your stellar machine shop and skills, you can do anything.
    You might even keep it in Chopper format and really stir the pot.
  7. UnclePete

UnclePete Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like choppers ; someone else's choppers . They were quite the rage when I was young . Fun to look at .
    In the beginning some wrecked bikes were rescued by making a chopper ; using what you had .
    There is no lost cause in motorcycles . Make it rideable again and you win .
  8. daveoneshot

daveoneshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in......can't wait to see pics. Stir the pot, brother, we need this now.
  9. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. I for one would like to see what you come up with. A chopped airhead! Who’d a thunk it.
  10. cwroady

cwroady Broken Arrow Moto

Oddometer:
    I’m in as well Pokie .. can’t see myself ever wanting a chopper, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be fun to watch you build one.
  11. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dooo eeeet!

I'm a sucker for rescue dogs. No matter the breed. ;)
  12. arbalest

arbalest Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my idea of a good airhead chopper/bobber, built by Duckman in the Netherlands.
    https://dbbp.com/dbbp/index.html
  13. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Most of my work so far has been concentrated on the frame. I've been messing about with the frame for about the last couple of weeks in one way or another. The steering lock had been damaged, so I removed what was left and plugged the hole, making it a grease zerk fitting. Plugging and welding up most of the holes that had been drilled in the frame, I assume for the wiring. All the sidecar lugs have been cut off, the brake and center stand lugs are gone and the box at the back of the frame, for the battery and electrical is also gone. So, yes, lots of work to do and build on. The last time this bike had been registered was in 1974.

Frame001.jpg.jpg

The frame as the work begins. Cutting off all the bad welds and straightening the shock towers were the first jobs.

Frame002.jpg

The missing battery and wiring box.

Frame003.jpg

Starting to create the new box and fender mount.
  14. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will you rake out the steer tube or keep as is? I’ve always found extended forks looks odd with the engine higher due to the extension. Keeping the centre of gravity lower by raking the frame would probably handle better too.
    Disston likes this.
  15. MonzaCross

MonzaCross When life throws you a curve, lean into it

Oddometer:
    I'm popping the popcorn, I'll enjoy seeing you work. And I feel similarly towards abandoned motorcycles so whatever form it takes good on you for doing something with it. My vote is large metal flake paint to give a period vibe!
    beemeruss likes this.
  16. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about raking the steering head yet. I want to get the forks done (they were also damaged and in need of some parts that will have to be made) and get it on it's wheels before making that decision.

Forks001.jpg

Forks002.jpg

I've already sourced the materials to make the new fork piece, just have to get around to it. I cut off the other bent eye just to see what the material was.
  17. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it'll be a fun project Pokie, and good on you for saving another one. Although I'm not much of a chopper guy, I have to admit that I've always really liked seeing period slash two choppers. You hardly ever see them out in the wild, even in photos they are kind of scarce. But everytime I see one it puts a smile on my face, they are just so outlandishly cartoonish even compared to their other long forked brethren.

Are you putting a /2 running gear back in it, or are we talking. hot rod conversion? And I definitely agree with @MonzaCross, you need to heavy metal flake it. :super
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  18. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    The remains of the motor has already been rebuilt and put into another project ( please see http://pokiespages.com/bmwflat.htm ). This bike will receive another orphan motor I have, a 1972 R75. Putting together things I already have on hand.

When I say "remains" of the motor,... all I got with the frame was a very worn out bottom end and a title.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  19. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I think it’s a cool project to do “right”. Which I’m sure it’s well on its way too in your hands. My vote is black metal flake paint, but with very traditional BMW pin stripes. Giving it the flake a chopper deserves, but that BMW class we all love at the same time.
    Uke, korinthias and globalt38 like this.
  20. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Paint is a ways down the road but yes, a '70s custom color is/ will be considered. I've been playing with the idea of having the seat (when I make it), covered with Red and White pleats or maybe the sides done in Red metal flake vinyl. Again, that's a ways down the road.
    OLD GREEN likes this.