Lost Cause

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Pokie, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I'm seeing Christmas tree lights. Cheap, lots of light and who hates on Santa Claws?
  2. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer:
    Who needs turn signals in Colorado?
    A4CB9306-6786-4B77-A6CE-60A35860C414.jpeg
    brittrunyon and Pokie like this.
  3. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are the Lucas Trafficators, but those are stupid expensive for a joke.

How about wrapping the tubes with EL wire? It'd look pretty cool if you wrapped up and down as it would give it a cross-hatch look. Or you could whip out your knot book and do something really wild.
  4. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    "Who needs turn signals in Colorado?"

The idiot on the phone behind you!
    Dirty bike, Plaka, OLD GREEN and 3 others like this.
  5. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If you know me, I don't like to throw anything away. Instead, I'll store them with like items until I finally trash it. Well, the other day I was going through some old parts that I finally said "Out!" and tossed some things into the metal recycling. A day or two later I just couldn't stand it and pulled a couple of trashed exhaust nuts back out of the pile. They've got to be good for something. After cleaning them up, I thought they might be fun to make lights out of,... the start of my turn signals!

The inside diameter of the exhaust nuts is just shy of 2 inches. I found that those little flashy lights that you buy really cheap, fit right inside without any modification.

RearLights002.jpg

The lights that I had on hand had the logo of the local transit company on them. I found that a bit of rubbing with Semichrome took the screening right off! I found that 2" exhaust pipe almost fit inside and with a bit of turning on the lathe, in it went. I didn't want to just have open or flat backs on the pods, so I pressed some ends on the arbor press.

RearLights003.jpg

Welded the caps on and now have pods! Fitting the parts together, they kind of look cool (to me anyway).

RearLights001.jpg

Will let you know haw it goes.
  6. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Those are awesome.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  7. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    With a lathe Pokie, you will rule the world.
    Those are wonderful, aerodynamically heat sink cooled LED signal pods. About the only suggestion would be a bit of subtle text somewhere making mention to save the whales (get it, pods :lol2)
  8. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    I was thinking it was in reference to whale foreskin jackets we all wear. My bad.
  9. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Got the front left turn signal done today. It's a little different in that it was made from an R69 exhaust nut (smaller). Smaller but just as trashed. The exhaust nuts I used for the front and rear lights were removed (at some point) with chisels, punches and pipe wrenches. I was able to remove a lot of the marks by turning down the ODs but just couldn't get it all off. This one I put the bent fin at the bottom instead of breaking it off trying to straighten it.

FrontSignal001.jpg

And as a front reflector,...

FrontSignal002.jpg

The mount is made from common steel gas pipe, modified of course.
  10. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Each of those lights look, to me, like bright little metallic sunflowers! The perfect touch for a bike of the Flower Power era.
    globalt38 and Mr Pou like this.
  11. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Returning to your "Hippie" years are you?
  12. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seat totally needs to be covered in that glitter plastic stuff.

You should also go all low rider on the paint with chunky flake, lace, and striping galore. Or go the other direction and hand paint a bunch of cartoons and designs in cheap acrylic paint like it was a hippy’s VW bus.
  13. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    "Returning to your "Hippie" years are you?"

I was never much of a Hippie. I had a job and a motorcycle and I loved them both. I kept my hair short for dealing with the customers. I just didn't have the time or inclination to do the Hippie thing. Not that sometimes I was just a little envious of those that were able to follow that route.
    Ozarkroadrunner likes this.
  14. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You didn’t miss much by not turning on, tuning in and dropping out. But there were plenty of short-haired blokes that partook in the sex, drugs and rock’n roll. Maybe they’re one and the same.
  15. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    I try not to judge, but also "don't knock it less you've tried it". (the S/ D's/ & R'n R that is.)
    Never to late Pokie, let your hair grow and become a late bloomer (& for bike trial success, etc.)
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of the long hair tradition of Hippies was just because we were lazy. I know. Still have long hair altho it's silver/grey now. The neat thing about long hair was calling it my Freak Flag and it was a sign to any other Hippies that I did drugs. Funny how that works in the modern era. The Freak Flag now means I used to do drugs but I'm straight, mostly.
  17. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Oh for the Good Ole Days.
    Disston likes this.
  18. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    And what exactly does "mostly" mean? :hmmmmm (take for instance, dancing?)
  19. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have smoked pot a few times but don't really like it much anymore. I might drink once in awhile. Also not often. Less than once a month.
  20. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I don't have much use for booze or even beer for that matter, I just never got into it, it all tastes like crap to me. Funny that, alcoholism runs rampant in my family, I guess I'm the black sheep!
    Disston likes this.