1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Lost Coast Info?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by redninja, Jul 20, 2011.

1. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    It took five weeks to get Aaron Bassler. Thanks for the heads up and keep us posted.

2. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    O.K. , the Red Bearded man, has not been found. But the search is being scaled back. They found his dog and believe that he is no longer in the area, OR he is no longer alive. He killed his wife and two kids and fled from Shingletown and they found his truck in Petrolia/ lost coast where he grew up. Talked to an old girlfriend in the area, she said he seemed "defeated". looks to me like he took a swim into the Pacific and ended his misery. So go ride.
  3. tuna101

tuna101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read thru this post a couple of times and have a question. Is there a shorter way into the Mattole river campground than thru Ferndale? I thought I saw a way to Petrolia other than that. Is it any better/shorter?
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"Read thru this post a couple of times and have a question.
    Is there a shorter way into the Mattole river campground than thru Ferndale?
    I thought I saw a way to Petrolia other than that. Is it any better/shorter? "

>"Mattole river campground"

Are you talking about the campground at the mouth of the Mattole River?
    Or the Humboldt County 'AW Way' park a bit upriver on the Mattole?

At any rate, here are the only ways to Petrolia.

1) Lost Coast (Wildcat Road, Petrolia Road) from Ferndale.
    2) Monument Peak Road from Rio Dell (dirt), then south on the Petrolia road.
    3) Mattole/Petrolia Road from Avenue of the Giants. (Through Humboldt Redwoods Park).
    4) Ettersburg road up from Shelter Cove Road, then turn west on Petrolia road.

>"Is it any better/shorter?"

IMHO: Best is to ride the Petrolia road from Ferndale. Best views and you go through Devils Gap on the beach.
    If you leave Petrolia, you can go back via Humboldt Redwoods park. Nice curves on that road.

If you are wanting 'AW Way' park... well, maybe it might be faster through Humboldt Redwoods park.
    Depends on if coming from south or north on 101.
  5. tuna101

tuna101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TZ, Thanks. I'd be coming from the south and driving my TC carrying my duel sport. Last time on the Ferndale road with the TC it was really rock&roll with the camper. I guess what I'm asking is there a road that's better? I'm talking about the campground at the mouth of the river.
  6. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"I guess what I'm asking is there a road that's better?"

The Humboldt Redwoods - Mattole road is a bit better for twists and turns than the Ferndale route. It is pretty slow through the park, quite a bit of one lane or 1-1/2 lanes. Beyond the park it opens up. Some tight switchbacks going up and down the mountains, but nothing alarming.

The Shelter Cove Road - Ettersburg - Mattole road is a bit longer, but it's pretty good too. Has about 1 mile of dirt. Nice views on it.

Either way you'll see some new country.
  7. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moving to Santa Rosa after living in Humboldt Co. for just three short years. I found a lot of great roads and trails to ride, going to miss them but NOT the weather. This has been a great thread for info,thanks TZ your ride reports and info have been great. Enjoy.
  8. 01SCSS

01SCSS n00b

Oddometer:
    Speaking of weather, we are riding Sherwood rd from willits to ft Bragg, then riding out to shelter cove, north to patrolia and then camping. And returning back to willits to trailer home the next day back to sac. It seems noaa is expecting higher than normal temps. For y'all that live around there, what's it like, typical coast weather, or hotter? Trying to leave big jackets here.
  9. 01SCSS

01SCSS n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention, trying to ride as much dirt as possible. Any route ideas would be greatly appreciated. Is there some good camping on Mattole Rd north of patrolia near the beach?
  10. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"Forgot to mention, trying to ride as much dirt as possible"

Left yet ? (Friday PM)
  11. 01SCSS

01SCSS n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup, it was awesome. Saw a huge bull elk on usal beach. We've kinda worn out our area of the sierras so it's time to ride the redwoods.

[​IMG]
  12. tuna101

tuna101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving for the Lost Coast in the next week. Just going to jump on 5 and 2 days of balls out driving(yuk) then start with some beach camping and riding. Going to start by camping on the bluffs near Westport and I'll jump on the bike to check out the Usal road and take it from there. Is it possible to get a TC into the campground 5 miles down the Usal road now? Anybody been on it in the last week? Don't have net while camping so I'm SOL in contacting this site with reports or questions. Sure be nice to get out of the heat here.:clap
  13. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"Yup, it was awesome. Saw a huge bull elk on usal beach. We've kinda worn out our area of the sierras so it's time to ride the redwoods."

Did we ride by you... up above Capetown ?
  14. 01SCSS

01SCSS n00b

Oddometer:
    Coulda been us, two drz's and a dr350. Usal was pretty passable even for a car, just a few deeper ruts, but you could straddle them. I'm trying to go back this weekend too....we'll see.
  15. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    >"Usal was pretty passable even for a car, just a few deeper ruts...."

Yeah we went down to Usal... the fog was blowing right up to the top of the ridge, decided to head inland for better weather.
  16. tuna101

tuna101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Sun. for Westport and points North. Truck Camper w/XT225 mounted up front. Weather looks good.
  17. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the condition of Usal beach and the road to it from Fort Bragg right now? I was going to camp there this weekend but the rain is making me think twice.
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

The only thing I've seen change through there is the mud pit after the bridge, pretty easy to pick your way through on a bike, if something looks deep, it is, go around it.
  19. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the bridge north or south of the camp ground? I have only been there once and cant remember. I'm only going to the camp ground.
  20. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    north