1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Lost Coast maps...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by motosaint, Sep 16, 2007.

1. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip up California and then along the U.S./Canadian border, but I have an issue with the Lost Coast area...

Using Google is no help to find roads that go along the Lost Coast... And I couldn't find anything on here that helps me plan a route. Can someone give me some resources to research? How about any cool places/locations I MUST check-out.
  2. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Try searching the forums for "Usal Rd"

As I understand it, Usal Rd is the only route between Hwy 1 & "4 corners" (junction of Usal/Briceland/Chemise/Bear Harbor Rds).
  3. OldTiredness

OldTiredness Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Usal Road is the only connection between Highway 1 and 4 Corners, other than going through Garberville. (Usal was part of Highway 1 in the stage coach days) You can find it on google maps by searching for Usal. It's a couple of miles North of Rockport if you're going North on Highway 1. However, its easy to miss. (If you get to Hales Grove you've gone too far). I was up there several weeks ago and it was great, although I wouldn't recommend doing it night. At about mile 20, the road cuts sharply to the left. Some poachers/growers/etc. have cut a road going straight. Nothing like dropping an 1150 while trying to turn around on a steep rutted road in the dark after a long day in the saddle. Needless to say, it's a great road and from there you can cross 4 Corners, go through Whale Gulch, turn left on Shelter Cove Road and right onto Kings Peak, then to Petrolia and on up to Ferndale, etc. (I would plan on at least an hour and half to two hours just for the Usal section.) Do a search here and you will find much info.
    BG
  4. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did this trip all the way through to Ferndale this weekend. Lots of dirt. The DeLorme Northern California Atlas has the roads. Would not want to try in the wet. Google Mattole Beach, Sinkyone Wildernes, and Usal Beach/Road. Lots of info. Also a few ride reports on this site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Forget DeLorme. They are a good idea that was poorly executed. Benchmark Maps' "California Road and Recreation Atlas" is the best of the topo atlas genre (p. 56 for Usal Road).

Also get the California State Automobile Association (AAA)'s Northern California Section.

The BLM in Arcata has a map of the King Range National Recreation Area (Headquarters: 707-986-7731 unless it's changed), which is the Lost Coast. Or visit www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata.html.

Don't miss the one-mile beach hike to Punta Gorda Lighthouse.
  6. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a great ride, it you have a chance to ride it you will be smiling.