Lost Coast - Usal Road to Mattole Road

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by maxattack, Jul 18, 2018.

1. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be in northern California in about three weeks and am hoping to jump on Usal Road just north of Rockport on Hwy 1 and head north to Shelter Cove and then on to Mattole Road. Does anyone first know if they can all be connected, if the dirt is somewhat decent and would you have tracks for the proposed route?

Thank you guys!
  2. motoproponent

motoproponent High Speed Pack Mule

Oddometer:
    812D1FF5-63E6-40DB-9ED6-DCC11A54C22F.jpeg

I was just there a few weeks ago. Riding partner was on a FZ10. He made it just OK. It got into some intermediate fire road condition. washed out gravel roads and such. It didn’t get much gnarlier than this. This is King Peak Rd.
  3. beedleblt

beedleblt Rather be riding Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did it go? We are looking to do this North to South in a couple weeks.
  4. SelfPropelledDevo

SelfPropelledDevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode that area recently. yes, you can go from Fortuna along the Lost Coast, to Honeydew, then take Wilder Ridge Rd... then I take Kings Peak rd, which is a right hand deviation off of Wilder Ridge Rd.

Kings Peak Rd. to the intersection of Shelter cove rd. If you want a grocery store and/or fuel provisions, turn right and go down to Shelter Cove General Store.

take Shelter Cove Rd going East to make a right (south) on Chamise Mtn Rd. which will ultimately turn into Usal Rd. once on Usal Rd... you can go down to Needle Rock which is cool. there is a cool old "barn" that you can camp in... first come first serve.

Usal Rd will ultimately connect to HWY 1 on Leggett Grade.

here is a "Local" thread that often touches on things regarding Usal Rd, and Shelter Cove.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/southern-humboldt-rides.1126607/page-81#post-35325167
    Scrabby likes this.