Lost in Wyoming...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WYO George, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saturday night, it's a dark night, and I sit here looking at all the webcams and hoping it's time to get out on the road, the world....It's not a stormy night.....:pynd........
    Traxx likes this.
  2. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CEBD4527-F8AC-4926-B31A-692C66037C2B.jpeg 1A389A0C-C3C5-4D80-8336-6B8617AF3E29.jpeg 1D429973-DD08-4C82-98CD-4DD80B4D5211.jpeg 7430C74B-F510-46CC-9881-BD9E2FB3023F.jpeg Got out and did the Bighorn loop, before this next storm.
    sealsam, jonnyutah, MaNDan and 6 others like this.
  3. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    jonnyutah and K7TNT like this.
  4. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Re: John McPhee, 'Annals of the Former World;' tangentally related, perhaps of interest to eastern, specifically PA inmates [No highjack intended!]
    'In Suspect Terrain,' where McPhee goes with geologist Anita Harris, they stop at the highest/deepest roadcut on I80 east of the Rockies. Years ago, using the PA DOT map, I hunted it down, on my Tengai, and came in, >to the top< of it. State forest land, there was a trail, branching off from the road on the map. No safety fencing.
    holy toledo2.png
    Google street view from the interstate, eastbound
    holy toledo1.png
    Holy Toledo3.png
  5. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got out and did the Bighorn loop, before this next storm.

OMG there's MUD on your GS!!!!!! :lol3

I live in the deep stix of central-western Virginia and we're surrounded by dirt roads. I pulled into a gas station on the far side of the mountain from our farm, clumps of muck and muddy water dripping off the bike, nice new set of TKC-80 knobbies on it, and a group of guys came rolling in on their hot-rod Ducatis. One of them asked, "Do you really ride that thing off-road?" I just looked at the expanding mud puddle under the bike and said, "Yes, quite a lot actually. It does just fine on everything this side of single-track." He couldn't believe it. Load it up like a moving van or strip it down to just a tank bag and go wherever your nose takes you. I love that bike :raabia. I have an RT as well and love it for long road rides but can't ride it during the hottest, most humid time of year because the wind and weather protection is too good and I swelter even in mesh gear.

[​IMG]

Speaking of McPhee, I read "Uncommon Carriers" a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It's a little dated now but had very interesting discussions of barge traffic on rivers, Wyoming coal trains, a specialty truck hauler, and more. He goes into excruciating detail but does it in a way that's interesting and entertaining. :thumb Maybe one of these days I'll get up to Pennsylvania and check out that outcrop! I'm glad there's no safety fencing, let Darwinism rule!
  6. WYO George

WYO George witness protection file #7236

Oddometer:
    I live at the base of some nice mountains, when it's summer time we head up the mountains and ride all over and enjoy the trees, views and amazing dirt roads and trails. Since it's barely even spring and the mountains are still impassable due to snow, we head the other direction and go ride the grasslands. Today we rode roughly 350 miles around the grasslands of eastern Wyoming including Thunder Basin National Grassland. Basically, it was 350 miles of this:
    P1000039.JPG P1000040.JPG
    DittyBag, N-Id-Jim, sealsam and 10 others like this.
  7. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ....but...but, no pictures of Pumpkin Buttes? :(

Powder River Basin does indeed let you stretch your eyeballs without interference. Thanks.
    K7TNT and WYO George like this.
  8. WYO George

Oddometer:
    No, I was a good 30 miles or so from Pumpkin Buttes, but the scenery is all pretty similar around here! I prefer to spend my time in the mountains with trees, but this has a beauty of its own.
    K7TNT likes this.
  9. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    When I first met my now-wife I lived in Lander. She came to visit from Virginia and flew into Jackson. When I was taking her back to the airport I asked well how do you like it out here? She said it was beautiful but she missed the trees. We were driving over Togwotee at the time and I said, what are you talking about??? We have trees! She said, "you have SOME trees." :lol3 Now that I've lived in Virginia for 11 years I fully understand what she was saying. If you stop mowing the pastures or your yard in Virginia a forest just happens, and it's pretty quick; I bush-hogged a big pasture up on the ridge above the house and two years later it had 4" diameter trees growing back... We have lots of trees out here and I've grown to like that quite a lot.
  10. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I know exactly what she meant. I’m from the southern Appalachains in the far northeast corner of GA, it’s very different!
    manfromthestix likes this.
  11. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess it's all a matter of perspective and where you grow up. I grew on the foothills of the Big Horns on the west side of the Powder River Basin and love the mountains AND the wide open sagebrush plains without trees getting in the way. Spent some time doing geologic work in MN & WV and those places made me claustrophobic:wings
  12. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    Yup, I got my MS in Geology from UW and worked out in the west most of my career. I look at geologic maps of this area and think holy crap, how did you find enough outcrops or road cuts to make THAT interpretation???? You've gotta walk a lot of stream beds in the winter when the leaves are off to see much of anything, then do a LOT of interpolation. The complexity of the structure is amazing, on the scale from minute to massive. Check these pics out, taken just down the road from my house:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
  13. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
  14. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The books out with Roadside info have been entertaining to me..Can't recall the real titles right now.
    I have Wa.-Ore.-Id.-...
    I live in Wa. but have traveled through-out the Western states....
    My late wife almost put "Lucy" and her long-long trailer to shame......
    Rock-on!!!!
  15. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    At Chicken Corners:
    [​IMG]
  16. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Them (us) Wyoming boys sure do dress funny....
    simbaboy likes this.
  17. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Dave seems out of uniform w/o a stogie hanging from his mouth.
    WYO George and simbaboy like this.
  18. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    We grow some rocks like that out east as well - this is W VA
    2014 07 18 Import 188.jpg
  19. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    I drive past that little fold every time I go to Snowshoe for a day of skiing!
    Buckee likes this.
  20. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    My FIL Al Chidester was a geologist, did work in Europe, Africa, & was part of the team sent in 1946 to evaluate Japan's national resources. He was head of the USGS station in Flagstaff, & trained the astronauts on what to expect/collect on the first moon landings. Quite a guy, miss him.