Lost in Wyoming...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WYO George, Mar 8, 2014.

1. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see there are other riders here. Guess I should have taken more photos.
  2. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Fallen Biker Memorial in Wapiti.
    01A8254A-2836-4556-BEF5-7CA2A9D9382C.jpeg 123981B1-DB3F-44A9-B832-0E1BFF91BA24.jpeg F27EB601-A000-46A5-B69F-5E17E5FBFF3C.jpeg
  3. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
  4. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I honestly don’t remember what is behind it, I just stopped to check out the memorial and reflect on life for a few minutes.
    simbaboy, LeMaitre and ScotsFire like this.
  5. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, that's very interesting. I saw these signs way back when on a ride through the Black Hills; the name of the riders and date of the death was on the back. This was obviously a popular corner but there were signs at other sites as well. I've read many news stories about all the crashes of riders touring the area during the Sturgis rally...

[​IMG]
    WYO George and Ride Now like this.
  6. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent a lot of time in the Bighorns this month, it’s been great.
    34DBE3D1-67E6-4437-BA24-B4B3877124A5.jpeg 4966F524-DBB5-47F9-849A-544FE9EE0AF9.jpeg 17804654-FAF9-4DCA-91B4-52CE9B238DBE.jpeg 956950C9-124E-4F79-8D1C-11C1F394FF2A.jpeg D7FAC2C9-47A6-4347-97D4-A1F7A16F4B34.jpeg 620F03F0-6C77-48BA-B10C-3766CE12A73A.jpeg 2A4008D3-2E52-446F-AE63-E2ECAE895985.jpeg
    TheAdmiral, simbaboy, Traxx and 18 others like this.
  7. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    WyoGeorge,
    Great pictures. Gotta get back up to the Big Horns.
    I bet Shell Falls was raging this runoff.
    Thanks
    Ed.
    WYO George likes this.
  8. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    @WYO George, Mary & I (in the truck w/DR in the bed) are heading up to Pocatello, Yellowstone, & then East across Bighorn NF after the DR Rally. I'm thinking to cross the NF on 26/Red Grade Road - is that the most scenic West to East route, or should we take 16 further South? Prolly won't have time to ride the bike :baldy
  9. WYO George

Oddometer:
    That’s certainly a nice route, although in the truck you may find 14 to be a nice descent as well, neither are bad. You may also consider taking Hunt Mountain Rd (FS10). It’s a 22 mile connector that bridges 14 with 14A and is scenic, tops out a little above 10,000ft with great views.

Of course, 16 is nice as well, but I prefer the northern half myself
    oldwyomingdude and Buckee like this.
  10. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    The riding I’ve don in WY has been in the western sections (other than cutting the corner between Belle Fourche and Hammond), but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to riding more of the state, especially the Big Horns now!
    WYO George likes this.
  11. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    Those photos are AWESOME and make me terribly homesick... I especially like the stream crossings, I used to love doing that. Shortly after moving I discovered out here in Virginia that stream crossings are very much trickier - the water is warmer and full of nutrients so a heavy slime forms on the cobbles and bedrock. It's literally like riding on snot; even wading the creeks is very difficult. We have a creek that runs through our yard and I was futzing around on my WR250R in the pastures one day and thought what the heck, I'll just buzz across this crick and that will be fun! My wife stepped out on the front porch just as I started across and got to watch me slide out and biff hard right in the middle of a deep hole. Once she discovered I was OK she laughed so hard she could hardly breathe, she said it was quite entertaining to witness. You just don't get that kind of slime build-up in the high country with it's ice cold water and nutrient-starved water.
    oldwyomingdude and DittyBag like this.
  12. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    FIFY

Top shelf, George!
    WYO George likes this.
  13. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, George you're killing me. God, how I miss the Big Horns. As a little boy watching the sun set on the Big Horns from my early childhood home at Beckton, I imagined that the mountains were knife edged....once you were at the top you just slid down the other side. Little did I know that there is a whole upper beautiful surface of parks with surrounding timbered slopes and canyons up there. It's hard to imagine, but true that at one time the upper surface of the Big Horns gently sloped across the Powder River Basin meeting the upper surface of the Pumpkin Buttes! The basin was filled to this level and all that sediment eventually eroded away into the Gulf of Mexico. That's a lot of dirt! Thanks for the great pictures! Enjoy those trips, the memories will never leave you, nor us through your pics.
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Gee, thanks guys. It's nice to have my humble shots appreciated. I'll be sure to post up more photos as I get out and do more riding.
    manfromthestix likes this.
  15. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    Whoa, it sounds like you're a geologist too! I got my MS from the University of Wyoming and vividly remember standing in the Snowies with a group of fellow sophomore students listening to Dr. Mears and Dr. Houston talking about the "high level erosion surface" (Libby Flats) that eons ago stretched all the way from the base of the peaks, across the Laramie Range and down to the high plains past Cheyenne all the way to the Mississippi. You can still find remnant pods of that basin fill material up at 10,000 and 11,000 feet elevation. According to the interpretation at one time those peaks looked like islands sticking out of the ocean. It's mind-boggling to stand on those peaks now and think about how much material has been excavated out of the basins.

I live in the Appalachians now and the geological phenomenon that strikes me most around here (because so much of the structure is obscured by vegetation) are the entrenched rivers that cut at right angles across the mountains; they were here long before the mountains came up and that was a very very long time ago in the Appalachians. The Wind River/Big Horn River cuts the Owl Creek Mountains, the Laramie River cuts the Laramie Range, both antecedent rivers that flowed on the plains described above and the mountains either came up under them or the basin fill was excavated down to them and kept cutting. And then there's the Granite Mountains, an entire range that just decided to subside...

Geology is cool. :D
  16. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Derailment continues until George ponies up more of his awesome times.......I wish that I would have become a geologist. It is very cool.

[​IMG]
  17. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Manfromthestix, pm me. Don't want to hijack WyoGeoge's thread, but I think we've some UW geo experiences to share :)
  18. WYO George

Oddometer:
    You’re all good, it’s turned into a general Wyoming chat thread as far as I’m concerned. I was always interested in geology, just never thought to pursue it as an occupation.

Some more shots from this last week:
    1B0E6B23-714E-4728-98E1-73832748C2B5.jpeg FB1CEBEF-05C4-4225-A7F8-1E54441CB409.jpeg 76D8386C-954C-4738-86DE-6F5194DF543B.jpeg
  19. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Was this the trip that will convince CigarDave to get riding pants? Those jeans must have stayed damp for the rest of the day.
    simbaboy and WYO George like this.
  20. WYO George

Oddometer:
    He has riding pants, as well as real dirtbike boots, but he forgot them at home! By the end of the day we were all very wet (over a dozen water crossings) and as the sun set we were still 20 miles of dirt road from our camp, the temp had dropped to the low 40's and the fog was rolling in very thick. It was a brutally cold night time ride back to our camp, but it ended with a well deserved campfire and whiskey.