Lost in Wyoming...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WYO George, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    My gosh George......I couldn't be more jealous...

I'd give my eye teeth to spend some months riding up there.

Gorgeous pictures.
    DittyBag and WYO George like this.
  2. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    BTW @ScotsFire There's one day we'll have to leave our friend Imu at the lodge while we go out and tackle what we affectionately refer to as "the death road". It has a few water crossings, some ugly and some worse than ugly. It also drops from just over 10,000ft down to about 7,500ft in a short span with a pretty steep rocky descent, but easy enough going down. Then after several more water crossings and after you've used up all your energy for the day you get to climb a very steep section about 150yards or more that feels like it's straight up with loose gravel/sand so you have to pick a line and pin it. It's an amazing road.

On second though, we should share it with Imu, even if it means we have to help a little with the hill climb.
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  3. WYO George

Oddometer:
    No need to part with teeth, just come on up. You're more than welcome up here at any time. Specifically, I am planning a week long get-together with several guys from here that I've ridden with in Moab. It'll be next summer, probably late July after most of the snow has melted and the temps are regularly in the upper 60's. You're definitely on the invite list.
    Shady Pass David and simbaboy like this.
  4. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Man-O-Man.....thats gonna be hard to get out of my mind my friend.

We are really needing to scratch Glacier national Park off our list, we were heading there from Yellowstone last August the night the fire started and our reservation got cancelled, so we went down to Silverton Colorado for a few days.
    WYO George likes this.
  5. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Come up early or stay late and factor in a week of Bighorn riding with friends. The area we will be based out of has three lodges and a half dozen campgrounds within a 5 mile radius so bring your camper and be our neighbor at the campground.
  6. WYO George

Oddometer:
    We camp at Sibley Lake when in the toy hauler. These pics from the travel trailer thread are the same area as the riding pics.

230244B7-AE00-41EF-9E95-C9DAD6BB25B7.jpeg D3BDDE7A-47C7-4E6C-992E-6330985272A7.jpeg E7199E96-16D1-4F03-B6E4-EBCAF3DC5F8E.jpeg 0CE7D0C9-707A-4679-B40D-E844602CD51E.jpeg
    katbeanz, TheAdmiral, Bigbob1 and 9 others like this.
  7. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    He will have had Top of the World in Moab under his belt by then. He’ll be in, as am I.
    simbaboy and WYO George like this.
  8. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Nick Zentner a professor at Central Washington University...He has plenty of lessons on the geology here in Washington....Oregon...and Idaho....all available for viewing on the net..
    He's fun to watch and listen to, not like some of my professors at the U of Wa.
    ................................:y0!...........
    Muscongus, ScotsFire and DittyBag like this.
  9. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Geo, I've never seen trout colored that way. What are they? Kids having a ball, making lifetime memories.
  10. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the pics George! They are Great!!
    I was returning home through the Big Horns in 2016 but didnt have time to stop.....................
    I wont make that mistake again
    WYO George likes this.
  11. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Slippery and yummy, that’s about all I know. I’m quite good at catching fish and a professional at eating them, but my fishologist skills aren’t the best.
    simbaboy, DittyBag and pratered like this.
  12. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I'm not a professional fishologist by any means but I'm fairly certain those are little Lake Trout
    redrock88 likes this.
  13. rtank

rtank Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wyo George , where might this "death road " be located ? I live in Illinois but my spirit lives in Wyoming
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    It's forest service 226 from the north end, right where Woodchuck creek runs into the East Fork of teh South Tongue River (confused yet?) at the junction with Red Grade Road, also known as Woodrock Rd or Primary Forest Rd 26.

Starting point in google maps: 44.629885, -107.408499

As you head south it turns into a choose your own adventure book. When faced with an intersection typically right turns makes the route easier and left turns makes for more difficulty. We chose all left turns last time and I'm pretty sure my guardian angel bailed on me somewhere around the third intersection. While it would be theoreically possible to run it in the opposite direction, it would be extremely difficult as the 2,500ft of drop would now be 2,500ft of climb. I don't think I will ever attempt it in reverse, but if I do it'll be on something small, light and realtively low. If you take all left turns you'll eventually come out on Shell Creek at Ranger Creek Campground, by Adelaide Trailhead.
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  15. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year George!......and everyone else....:rilla......
  16. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Likewise to you ane everyone else who visits this thread.
  17. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @WYO George I know several 'Christmas Babies' but you are the first that I know that was born on 12/31.
    Happy Birthday.
    Imu
    WYO George likes this.
  18. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Surely, you've visited these areas.
  19. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, I’m a huge history buff.
    eaglescan likes this.
  20. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The wagon wheel tracks on the Oregon Trail make history real, as do the inscriptions on the cliffs. IIRC, there was also a Pony Express station nearby.
    I spent a morning goofing around in the area and did not see another soul. From there I traveled to Lusk and the stagecoach museum, and then on to Chadron, NE and the Fur Trade museum - the best one I have ever visited.
    Shady Pass David and WYO George like this.