Lost in Wyoming...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WYO George, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I haven’t seen Register Cliff, but the section of the Oregon Trail east of South Pass has one of the highlights of riding the CDR in 2018. I’d love to ride more of it!
    00D82685-0B65-4ED1-B65E-7C374D4AC7D9.jpeg 34CC1B09-7684-4FC0-A24E-E2889116A84E.jpeg 089C0B60-5312-4EF0-AB5C-8073B3115DCB.jpeg
  2. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    It’s crazy how young our history is. There used to be a flag pole on the top of Independence Rock, was put up in the 40’s. At the initial flag raising ceremony there was an old man there who had come to Wyoming on a wagon train as a kid. In his lifetime we went from Oregon Trail wagon trains through two world wars and what he had done as a child was now a tourist attraction / historical monument!
    DittyBag, Traxx and ScotsFire like this.
  3. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I marveled at how many wagons must have passed through this spot and wore ruts at least 4 feet deep in the stone.

[​IMG]

I don't mean to jack your thread, though I do have a ton of photos of the area.
    My great-uncle was a 49er and left Hannibal, MO before ending up in El Dorado, CA. It's likely that he passed through this area. He returned to MO and then came to Colorado in 1852. He was a sheriff in a small community in southern CO for the next 20 years.
    bomose, Ride Now and WYO George like this.
  4. WYO George

Oddometer:
    You’re welcome to jack the thread as much as you’d like with Wyomimg stuff.
  5. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    76C53496-842C-46F3-9A49-7ECA5D8DCF84.jpeg BE94A778-4A6C-422E-9B2A-D976752E869C.jpeg 0FCA8962-41A5-4F81-BBC2-0E54AE6B9A8B.jpeg
    Here are a few from one of my favorite rides. Riding on the Oregon, California, Mormon and Pony Express trails between Farson and South Pass. The Parting of the Ways gave me pause, trying to imagine parting with loved ones knowing you will never see them again.
    George, Bob and anyone else - thanks for posting, helps me to get through the winter.
  6. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    More history of the Oregon trail. Love it! I have ridden some parts of the trail around Casper out towards Independence rock. Can't remember the name of the road, but I take Poison Spider road then turn and follow the road to the main highway 220 close to Independence rock. Love that country! Where's Register Cliff located? Not have been there, Yet..
  7. MrBob

Oddometer:
  8. MrBob

Oddometer:
    DSC_0528.JPG
    DSC_0529.JPG

The Stagecoach museum in Lusk, WY is north of Register Cliff and worth a visit. The collection includes a lot of Western stuff, and everything else from dinosaur bones to vintage motorcycles.
    Heading due east from there takes you to Chadron, Nebraska, and the finest fur trade museum I have yet to visit.
  9. MrBob

Oddometer:
    buffalo-hunters-with.jpg

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...Museum_of_the_Fur_Trade-Chadron_Nebraska.html

If you're into the history of the fur trade, or that era of history, this place is a treasure trove. The fur trade era was my area of study when I was a student of Archaeology, so I know what I'm seeing. This is an awesome collection.
    How this museum came to be in a Nebraska farm town is not clear, but there was a trading post there originally.
  10. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey George,I'll PM you later, when my snow is gone, and I head out on the road.....I'd like to visit with you....I'm planning on visiting mines in Ideeho and into Montana-Wyoming...Especially hot springs...For my aching bod....:muutt......
    WYO George likes this.
  11. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Sounds great.