Lost in Wyoming...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by WYO George, Mar 8, 2014.

1. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how far up you can go, I've never tried to fish beyond lower Deer Creek Canyon. To make you sadder; they have gone in up top and are building a few hundred wind turbines up there, totally raping the beauty of the top of the mountains above Morman Canyon across to Boxelder> It kills me because that was my Sunday afternoon ride for some peace and quiet and now they have closed the public road to allow for all the oversized loads and work crews. Pisses me off to no end.
    Lord Dogmeat likes this.
  2. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, its quite fascinating .... Wyoming is made up of about 50% public land by area, and the public isn't allowed to access hardly any of it, especially anywhere in Central Wyoming.
    WYO George likes this.
  3. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang it, man, say it isn't true. The bird choppers are like a plague. The obstructionists (that call themselves environmentalists) call for doing away with anything that might cause some haze in scenic areas, but then love the sight of wind generators as far as the eye can see. Go figure.

Some 40 years ago Deer Creek Canyon was a favorite fishing spot for me and a friend. We would drive out Hat Six Road and up onto "N word" Hill (yes the actual word was used on USGS topo maps) then hike down an old trail built to access an abandoned chromite mine on the west side of the canyon. The hike down was pretty easy, the fly fishing was very good, but the hike back out was arduous to say the least. I moved away from Casper in 1980, but still miss it. Sorry to hear about the demise of the scenery and loss of access.
    bomose and WYO George like this.
  4. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    yeah, it's rough out here now. They have the bird choppers from Casper almost to Douglas. I live on Monkey Mountain, north of Glenrock and I can see about 300 of the damn things from up here. I hate them...
  5. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    George, it's been 5 months since your last post. Did you survive the Winter? Time to start checking the bikes over after a long nap on the battery tender!

I tripped across this photo while looking for something else today. Togwotee Pass - man that thing could be like driving through a toboggan run some years.

[​IMG]

Happy Spring, all y'all!
    WYO George likes this.
  6. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    Last year we were riding through Togwotee Pass on June 28th and it was snowing hard on us, it's a brutal area at times.

I made it through winter, been incredibly busy all winter with my fleet contract of almost 60 motorcycles for annual service and repairs on top of my every growing customer base of motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, etc. I'll get out and do some riding soon and snap some pics. Our deepest snow this winter up here on my little mountain was 21" in 24 hours.
  7. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread, thanks for all who've posted. Thinking of retiring in SE Idaho in a few years (from VA), and searching out all I can on places in the surrounding states to take the DR650.

Interesting to hear all the geology talk - my wife's Dad, Dr. Al Chidester, was the head geologist in Flagstaff many years ago. He's long passed now, but early in his USGS career was sent with the first scientists into Japan to assess their natural resources, right after the surrender was signed. My wife's wedding dress was made from silk he brought back from that trip.

Hope to see more in this thread!
    WYO George likes this.
  8. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    There's some great places in Idaho and the DR is a wonderful bike for out here. I'd kinda forgotten about this thread, I'll make it a point to post here from time to time.

Give me a shout if you're going to be passing through. Lunch is on me.

G
    Unca Fud, Nicknewb and pratered like this.
  9. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Thanks George - was just in Pocatello 2 weeks ago, spent 2 days exploring all around (in a rental SUV). Looked just like the pictures you and others have posted of the region. We like!!
    - Scott
    WYO George likes this.
  10. pratered

pratered Jackpiner

Oddometer:
    There are a couple great threads by inmate named Metalcarver, he covers S.E. Id. Extensively; Meandering Geezer and South East Idaho.
    The DR will do you well out here.
    Buckee and WYO George like this.
  11. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    Well, you'd think that with 20,000 miles on the DR I would have posted more pics in this thread, but it seems I kinda got lazy. I'll attempt to do better at it and to help I'll also add in photos from trips on the Harley and TW too. As I've mentioned before in this thread, I teach the MSF program here in Wyoming and one of the wonderful things about our program is that we all work for the state and they send us all around the state. From week to week I can be 500 miles from the last place I taught and teaching with a different partner so it really makes it a fun job. A couple weeks ago I was teaching in Lander, here's a few pics from that class. The river is in Sinks Canyon, it flows into the wall and disapears and then about a quarter mile down the canyon it seeps back up from the ground on the opposite side of the canyon. It's quite impressive to see in real life, photos just don't do justice to the incredible sight of a river flowing into a rock wall!
    IMG_7398[1].JPG IMG_7402[1].JPG IMG_7405[1].JPG IMG_7412[1].JPG
  12. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll try to pick up some slack with some WY ride reports. I spent a bit of time up in the Gros Ventre River area this Saturday exploring some corners I had not yet been too.
    BDFD57B3-C90F-43A8-A4F5-5F45E1056B01.png
    Bacon Creek and Gunsight pass were the objectives this time. Had my first proper river crossing, where I would have most definitely dumped and submerged the bike, so I walked it instead. Much more exhausting than I expected. Broke a mirror, melted a turn signal, transported a lot of mud and dust out of the woods. I’ll be supporting my local dealer again this week.
    Saw Sage Grouse close up, had a staredown with a fox, crossed paths with uncountable numbers of Chizzelers. More spectacular vistas and vantage points than a normal guy would know what to do with.
    Arrived back hours later than planned, hungry thirsty, and and saddle sore. Hammered the first food available, Dairy Queen, including the blizzard.
    20EBFCE7-F447-4024-88DE-5D240486F9BE.jpeg
    WYO George and pratered like this.
  13. pratered

pratered Jackpiner

Oddometer:
    66B0F19B-0F1F-4E3E-A50E-710212668A49.jpeg AB346F44-B85F-49C1-8174-3CAC5CAE1581.jpeg 85982922-7D8D-4FD0-A2E2-C1A17D7AC0CD.jpeg Galenparke, nice ride report and photos. The Gros Ventre is pretty much my favorite ride in the valley on my 690. Sunday I took a ride down Fall Creek to clear my head. Rode the single track at Mosquito Creek and Munger Mt. (Except Big Munger! I struggled on that the week before on my 380.) also the two track down past Fall Creek ranch. What a great day to be out, the wildflowers were incredible.
    WECSOG, wyosam and WYO George like this.
  14. wyosam

wyosam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I needed to run to town (Jackson, I live at Hoback junction) for groceries, and instead of fighting the construction, the only logical option was a slight detour over union pass. Road is overall in pretty good shape, I didn’t take any pictures across the top since it was drizzling, and when I stopped to pee the swarm of mosquitoes was more than I wanted to deal with. Caught a few fish on the green, and a few more in the buffalo fork. I actually did make it to the grocery store, too! Couldn’t get the full list, since my fishing gear was taking up some box space...

IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    Very cool, one day I'll venture over to your side of the state for some dual sport riding. I pretty much hang out in the Bighorns and the Laramie Mountains. This weekend I'll be doing a bit of riding in the Bighorns, I'll be sure to snap some photos to update to this thread. :)
  16. wyosam

wyosam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I’d had a bike during the many years when the Laramie range was my stomping grounds- I need to make trip down there with the bike. Actually thinking about a little tour of the Bighorns this fall if I can find the time- I haven’t spent much time in that part of the state, and I have a nephew in Buffalo I haven’t seen in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    If you ever want to meet up and do some riding shoot me a PM and I'll try to get free. I'm east of Casper, in the hills outside of Glenrock and ride all over the place between here and Laramie and the Bighorns including the Red Wall district to the south near Casper and all the way up into Montana.
  18. pratered

pratered Jackpiner

Oddometer:
    Wyosam,
    Much better use of your time than waiting in traffic in JH in the summer.
    I’ve been wanting to ride Union Pass, just want to wait a bit until the first frost kills some bugs, they really can be pretty bad up there! Gotta stop where the wind blows, not hard in Wyoming though.
    WYO George, I’ve read some of your ride reports etc and hope to get down your way some day. The Laramie range, Medicine Bow, Snowy Range and Sierra Madre are parts of Wyoming I want to know better.
    Very few Wyoming threads, I want to try and keep a few alive, hope to see pictures of you guys Lost in Wyoming !
    WYO George likes this.
  19. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    Come on down anytime. There's a lot of good riding down here that is pretty scenic in it's own way. It's nothing like JH or Beartooth, but snaking your way from my place down to Laramie you can take a route that crosses the mountains a half dozen times and you get quite the variety of scenery.

I'm planning to ride up Laramie Peak trail later this summer, I'll post about it when I get the weekend figured out and maybe some of you other Wyoming guys can come on down and do some riding in my area. It's a nice trail with a pretty good reward at the top.
    georet and pratered like this.
  20. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    No GPS tracks and data for this ride, but here's a few pics from my Friday daytrip in the Bighorns above Sheridan with a good friend of mine.
    100_4219.JPG 100_4220.JPG 100_4222.JPG IMG_7668.JPG