Louisville Area Rides

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DualHabit, Apr 2, 2010.

1. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry - What a great evening!

4 riders left downtown Louisville at around 6:00 and once out of the evening rush we had 2 hours of fast paced twistys in the southern IN. country side. Finished up at the Widow's Walk ice cream parlor in old Clarksville on the river.

Nice to meet you Eric & Pat.
  2. emohn

emohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic evening of riding with you guys. Jerry was an excellent guide and took us through some great scenic and challenging roads around southern Indiana. At least they were a challenge for me - with all of 5-6 weeks of riding under my belt. You guys made it look easy.

Great mix of bikes, too. A (1200GS?) BMW, KLR650, DRZ400SM, and a WR250R.

I've got a GPS track of the ride if anyone's interested. I hadn't realized we made that big of a loop.

Thanks again for organizing this! It was great meeting the three of you, Mark, Jerry, and Pat. I doubt I'll be able to make it down to Leitchfield on Sunday, but I'm definitely up for riding again next Thursday evening.

-Erik
  3. jerryc

jerryc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys riding the Lap of Ky 2010? I also rode it last year and loved it and am planning on ridding it this year.
    Jerry
  4. emohn

emohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't sent in my registration yet, but I plan to now that I'm getting more comfortable doing long stints in the saddle.

On an unrelated note, I went out this morning for a solo ride down towards Bardstown/Clermont and wound around through bourbon country a bit. The section of Harrison Fork to Mount Carmel Church Road is a good mix of paved, gravel, and dirt with three stream crossings. I had a great time, but need to figure out some other roads to take to/from that area to keep me from doing such long, straight runs down Hwy 61, etc. I'll do some digging around in MapSource this week and see if I can't string together a route that will give about 2 hours of scenic, winding roads without all that straight-line slab riding.

Link to the map from my ride this morning: http://bit.ly/aQnHvz

-Erik
  5. DualHabit

DualHabit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the date of LOK and where can I find a registration form?

Hey Eric, 2 hours is perfect for a little weeknight action:clap

Also, I was talking with a friend out in Starlight, IN and he is going to show me a couple areas to get off the pavement for awhile. In fact, we rode past these areas last Thursday. So, next were out for a ride we may have some options.

-Jerry
  6. jerryc

jerryc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    See if this works let me know if it don't
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kyadvriders/attachments/folder/1594862261/item/list
  7. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Love that road. I wish the road to the right just after the first crossing was open. I think it connects over to Bernheim.

John
  8. emohn

emohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John,

According to Garmin's Topo US 2008, it's called Wilson Creek Rd and it does continue over into the Bernheim network of roads - but yeah, it was gated off and posted 'No Trespassing', as were pretty much all of the turn-offs along Harrison Fork/Mt Carmel Church.

Any chance you know of some other good dual-sport riding around Mt Washington, Shepherdsville, or out in Nelson or Spencer Counties? I'm not looking for single-track or anything extremely technical, but something that offers a bit more variety than 4 lane Hwys 61, 245, and 44 would be appreciated.

-Erik
  9. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Let me think about that. There aren't many left, if any these days. Kentucky has quite the history of road building corruption with the politicians and businessmen conspiring to pave it all. Someone on Road Dads ride last fall said that KY spent their money on roads and IN spent it on schools. I wasn't sure at the time if that was some sort of unintended slur on our fine state :lol3 but it had a ring of truth to it.

I was down in that area last summer and stumbled onto Harrison Fork. I was sorely tempted to go around the gate but didn't. It would be a good place to have an electric cycle. Totally silent. Knob State forest has a gravel road into it but doesn't go very far, maybe 2 miles before you hit a gate. I ran into a hunter on a mountain bike on that road. He was totally covered in camo, even his rifle was camo. I think he had been around that gate just before I came up on him.

John
  10. DualHabit

Oddometer:
    Weather looks good for Thursday, but the weekend might be a little sketchy. I'm planning to ride Thursday after work and would like to get in around 2 hrs...meet sometime between 5:30-6:00 pm. I don't have an exact route planned, if anyone has something they want to do -- otherwise I'll try to find some nice twisties and maybe a little gravel.

-Jerry
  11. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get a Thursday afternoon free so I can come out. Sounds like a good time and it is good to see a recurring ride.
  12. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I didn't see many other ky threads. Me and a few friends are heading down from chicago to lexington. Planning on spending the first night there, and then doing a little riding in the southern half of the state. Looking for reccomendations on an area to stay in Lexington that would be close to a little night life.
  13. RoadRanja

RoadRanja End of State Maintenance

Oddometer:
    Strip club exit 104,I-75. Motels right there too.Bars downtown.No motels there only Hyatt and Downtown Lexington Hotel
  14. froggy79

froggy79 n00b

Oddometer:
    hey fella's, it awesome to see some local guys, Im definetly going to have to join in on these rides. Im from jeffersonville indiana with 09 klr, Ive seen some guys around but never had the chance to meet or talk with them. let me know when the next outing is. Jeremiah
  15. DualHabit

Oddometer:
    Hey Froggy79,

Glad to have you on board. I also see a lot of DS bikes in the area and wanted to get a way to communicate. There is also a "yahoo group" KYADVRIDERS, which we have been cross posting on because not everyone is on this forum. So also check that out too.

This Thursday I'm out of town, but Erik and others will be meeting at the new Arthur Street HD/BMW for a ride - try to make it if you can!

-Jerry
  16. emohn

emohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it out Thursday evening. I'm working w/ a photographer from the CJ early Friday for Oaks (and Saturday for Derby) and need to get some stuff done Thursday night in order to make that happen.

I'll definitely be up for a ride the following week.

-Erik
  17. froggy79

froggy79 n00b

Oddometer:
    its the same story for me for this thursday, I won tickets to the the David Crider band for this thursday at 730 pm, but the wife and I will definetly be on the bike riding there:D , Ive always been the odd ball on bike rides, being the only dual sport surrounded by cruisers and rockets, itll be nice to be a little less of the minority for once,
  18. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    Soccer game on Thursday will prevent me from coming once again... sheeeit.

Erik, are you a pro-photog?
  19. emohn

emohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope. An amateur lucky enough to be good friends with one of the CJ's staff photogs, so I've been helping set remote, schlep gear, swap cards, etc for the last 5 or 6 years at Derby time. Great fun, hard work, and unmatched access to the track/action.
  20. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    Well, you should study how your friend from the CJ does things. I too have a mentor in an ex-CJ shooter. I rode down to Waterfront Park last night for the James McMurty concert. There must've been 100 bikes parked next to the sidewalk! It was awesome, like valet parking, right up front. Shot some pics of James (picasaweb.google.com/4ridgesphoto/McMurtry) .

Still gonna miss the ride tonight. Ya'll be careful, the drunks and assorted nutjobs are really starting to come out due to the Derby this weekend!