Louisville Area Rides

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DualHabit, Apr 2, 2010.

1. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    NICE!

We did that same ride earlier this year in record heat…

I’m jealous of your snow! Ha!
  2. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    @rich_mc From Jackson to PP in one day? Don't do it! Head down to the Dillon Silverthorne area and get a room. The next day, go over the pass south of Breckenridge and head towards the back side of PP. Really pretty!
  3. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Route 9?
  4. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    Yes. Rt 9 thru Dillon and Breck and then Rt24 into COS. Enjoy Manitou Springs, the Devil Worshipping capitol of the US!!! (I went to military school in COS)
    mbabc, sonnystile and rich_mc like this.
  5. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you guys like pictures so much, here's what I did last week (3 day/2 night canoe trip in MO).

Capture.JPG
  6. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    Cool. We are getting on that at Kremmling now.
  7. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    As you can see below, the morning started chilly.... found a cool little diner called Grub for breakfast... the Google Maps Avoid Highways Lady ended up directing us down about 25 miles of unpaved road in NW Colorado bit it turned out to be very nice and had a park called Irish Canyon on it... @UncaBuddha suggestion, we did route 9 south of Breckenridge and enjoyed the pass there...

Made reservations at the KOA in Canon City but they messed up the reservation and didn't answer the phone, so we found an only mildly skanky hotel in town instead...

Finished the night with a plate o carbs and a few Blue Moons...

Headed to PP in the morning, and then back towards home...

@jtclark13 - Shall I send you a personal invite next year?

@KYMike - I'm not offended to be Kenny!

20210922_073128.jpg 20210922_101126.jpg 20210922_112827.jpg 20210922_115352.jpg 20210922_115918.jpg 20210922_171536.jpg 20210922_171602.jpg 20210922_202256.jpg
    UncaBuddha, mbabc, jtclark13 and 2 others like this.
  8. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me you rode over Skyline Drive in Cañon City?!?

And I’m wondering if you stayed at the same sketchy motel we did, with plaques of the famous people that stayed in each room?

IMG_6618.jpg
    rich_mc and jtclark13 like this.
  9. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    I didn't but will hit it on the way out.... I don't think we stayed at the same sketchy hotel. We stayed at the one where the shitter overflows first thing in the morning. #vomit
    sonnystile likes this.
  10. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, keep me posted! Not sure what my new gig will entail, but I get 15 days off right out of the gate, so I might be able to pull it off depending on when you go.
    rich_mc likes this.
  11. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    Man, overloaded road bikes on gravel makes me sweat just thinking about it. Anybody wanna teach me some dirt skills? I ride mountain bikes but they aren't nearly as top heavy as my Triumph and the consequences of a tip over are nothing comparitively...
    rich_mc, jtclark13 and lousgoose like this.
  12. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak to a Triumph, but a GS is surprisingly easy to pick up. (Don’t ask me how I know…)

Seriously though.
    rich_mc and jtclark13 like this.
  13. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    Well, yeah, I *could* pick my Super Tenere up but it was an effort!!!
    rich_mc, jtclark13 and sonnystile like this.
  14. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    I don’t know about teaching you skills, but I learned a lot following my Dad through the nasty stuff, it’s all about the flow and picking clean lines. He wasn’t always first, but if he didn’t win he had the smoothest rides. I learned so much just following him, as did many others. Once my wrists work again I’d be happy to ride with you, and have access to as hard of terrain you could want.
    UncaBuddha and rich_mc like this.
  15. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys...no pics today... kinda crummy day. It started with the sketchy hotel shitter overflowing from an issue down the hall. @sonnystile recommendation of Skyline Drive was very nice! PP was closed for the top 3-4 miles due to construction, so we saved the $30 and skipped it. Figured with Colorado fucking us as much as it had, we'd try getting breakfast from some of the devil worshippers in Manitou Springs... sure enough, I heard one of the girls in the kitchen talking about having her hand on the Spirit Wheel, but then was interuppted by a very angry homeless guy in the shop who was quite distraught that no one anymore knows how to make a good coffee, and how no one will give him any chalk, and this preacher who invited him to some church wouldn't let him in to talk... he was convinced it was a secret Devil church... weirdness all around in that state...

Anyway, we bolted east, almost got performance awards twice from some friendly troopers, and are currently stopped at a KOA in Salina, KS... the plan is to hopefully slab out about 800 miles tomorrow back to my hometown where my buddy lives in Ohio. I'll visit the folks for a night, and then probably go back to E-town on Saturday.
  16. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Hate to hear you had a rough last day out west. Luckily you had an amazing trip overall that will eventually mask the experience you had today. If I’m considering riding with you next year I need to start logging miles as soon as possible, I’m not sure I have an iron ass yet! :lol3
    UncaBuddha and rich_mc like this.
  17. rich_mc

Oddometer:

No worries- it's still been a great trip overall! I have yet to have an overall nice experience in Colorado on any time I've been there- I think I just don't gel with that state- oh well! I'm kinda thinking of maybe trying to hit Million Dollar Highway in the next few years and hopefully Colorado will lighten up on me by then...
    lousgoose likes this.
  18. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    I’ve been on the Million Dollar quite a few times, in a cage and on 2 wheels. It’s amazing regardless, and both ends have great towns to stay in. But they are completely different, I love Ouray and it is more my style, but I also spent a few nights in Silverton and it has a great personality too. But riding that area is a lot different then what you just did. If I had my choice of bikes in that area it would be a DS bike, I’m sure my 690 would be happy there, but an EXC (350 or 500) would be perfect! I’ll be back there soon, and Durango is a fun town to fly into if you’d consider renting a smaller bike then what you have in your fleet. You’d have plenty of epic rides on dirt/rocky roads based out of that area if that’s what you’re looking for.
    lousgoose and UncaBuddha like this.
  19. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    Had a successful 840 mile/16 hour day from Salina, KS back to Urbana, OH. Looking like rain tomorrow so I'll probably hang with the parents tomorrow and come back to KY on Sunday.

At this point I'm just over 4400 miles for 8 days... I'd say the R has successfully proven itself as a very capable touring bike! I did add a couple items to my farkle wishlist, but not much. I'm already ready to go again!
    jtclark13, UncaBuddha, Shep and 2 others like this.
  20. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it was a great trip. Very jealous!
    rich_mc likes this.