Louisville Area Rides

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DualHabit, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve always thought the R would make a great all rounder and have often considered making it my next purchase. I may have to take one for a demo ride and see how the posture treats my neck. I’m at a place whereI can ride about 2 hours mostly pain free, but beyond that the burn begins to build. I’m wondering if a different seating position would improve my seat time.
    jtclark13 likes this.
  2. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Let's go ride sometime. I'd be happy to trade you so you can get a few hours in on one rather than just the short demo rides the dealer does.
    Shep and jtclark13 like this.
  3. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might just take you up on that. I have to go to Indy Tuesday to see the surgeon again. I may hit the Duc shop up and demo the new Monster…but I can ride any bike for 20 minutes.
    jtclark13 and rich_mc like this.
  4. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any electrical problem wizards in the group who can be bribed with beer/bourbon? I’m having trouble getting one of my trailer taillights working. Multimeter shows power is getting to it but I haven’t been able to find the issue yet. Not the bulb. I hate electrical problems!
  5. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have power at the socket and a known good bulb check your ground.
    mbabc likes this.
  6. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s where my head is at. So far I haven’t found the culprit but I’ll keep looking
  7. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found the issue. It equates to shoddy workmanship at the factory. Guess I’ll have to drink all the bourbon myself!
    jtclark13, STcorndog and sonnystile like this.
  8. IrishXJ

IrishXJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent the past couple of weeks deciding what bike I wanted to buy. Was dead-set on a first generation KLR for a while. Went down a rabbit hole where I considered a Royal Enfield Himalayan - especially since they seem currently available without much hassle. I made a list of things I wanted:

1.) Fun to ride around town and backcountry roads, since this is probably 90% of my riding.
    2.) Comfortable to stand up for long distances.
    3.) Easily handles 60mph backroads and can handle short interstate trips.
    4.) Won't make me consider ritualistic seppuku when riding off-road.

Which means I'm going down to Lexington Motorsports on Saturday to put a deposit on a Honda CRF300L. Sales dude quoted me 18 weeks for delivery. Just in time for the dead of winter.

I'm doing this wrong.
    mbabc, jtclark13 and rich_mc like this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just my.02 for what it's worth. I bought a DR650 last year thinking I'd ride it to some KAT trails etc. I found it horrifying on the highway, and I used to ride my SL125 on the highway back in the day. But it could be that I'm spoiled.
    sonnystile likes this.
  10. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kind of like when I test-rode the KTM 390 adventure and was less than thrilled. The salesman said "Well yeah...you rode in on a GS".
    rd400racer likes this.
  11. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should look for a cherry CRF250L, one with all the right stuff already taken care of. What do you think @KYMike? :lurk
    mbabc likes this.
  12. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3 Nah...I'd probably go with the CRF300L
    rd400racer, jtclark13 and mbabc like this.
  13. IrishXJ

IrishXJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked the other day and saw a 250L for $5000 on it. I get I'm going to have to pay destination fees and what-not, but I'm going to have a hard-pass on something that is $500 less than an off-the-floor new bike. Am kind of excited it looks like I'm probably going to get more money for my Versys than I purchased it for, tho.
    jtclark13 likes this.
  14. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Trying to throw you a bone after seeing your bumps, XJ may like it! :ricky:dunno
  15. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    I was kind of kidding, he has one for sale here in the flea market. I’ll be the first to admit, I’ll likely never buy new again. There’s too many farkles I know I’ll need/want and letting someone else take the hit on them is the way to go. Be patient, you’ll likely find some good deals now that people are thinking about storing their bikes for winter.
    mbabc likes this.
  16. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d like to ride a DR650. I’ve sat on them a bunch at the dealership, they seem a good fit for short legs like mine.

I could hardly tip toe a DRZ400…
    rd400racer and jtclark13 like this.
  17. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean this bad boy?

P2230175-1.JPG
    mbabc and jtclark13 like this.
  18. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    I’d have your ad’s link in here in a heartbeat after his first post, you’re too nice :lol3
    mbabc and KYMike like this.
  19. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - I had plans to go to the Bridge Day event @ New River Gorge next month on the 16th, but they decided yesterday to completely cancel the event due to covid. Since I went for the prepaid discount on my room, I can't cancel it so I'm still gonna go and just make it a weekend trip instead. I know a few of you have ridden extensively in that area. Any must rides-or-sees-or-dos you can recommend?
    jtclark13 likes this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent a week in that area in June. My original plan was to stop at the Hatfield McCoy B&B, but the town of Williamson was so sketchy I rode on to Fayetteville, which is a lovely little town. The backroads from Williamson to Fayetteville were great, but I did have to hit a little highway near Charleston. Don't know if you want to go this far, but I headed to Snowshoe after leaving Fayetteville the next day. Damn near every road I took to get there was better than the next, with 150 being a stunning ride (it's called the Highland Scenic Highway). It's all in the National Park so there was almost no traffic. Even the road from Snowshoe back to US79 was fantastic.

I've spent 40 years cruising through WV thanks to inlaws and there's hardly a bad road in the state. Enjoy, what a great time of year to ride there.

Here's a shot I took on Hwy 150

WV June 21 scenery.jpg
    jtclark13, Davidc83 and rich_mc like this.