Louisville Area Rides

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DualHabit, Apr 2, 2010.

1. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Let me know what you have in mind and maybe I'll tag along if weather is decent... needing to get another 800-900 miles in by Black Friday in order to make it to 12k in the first year on the R, so I got a little work to do since there aren't any more trips planned currently...
    jtclark13 likes this.
  2. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Sorry @jtclark13, this is why I quit trying to organize these....... it is like cat herding.

So far, for Sunday 10/31 we have me, mbabc, and rich_mc. Since it is Halloween, we will need to be back to a meeting place by 5:00pm max. This will be a back-road fall foliage ride with minimal to no gravel. It will be 65 degrees out and partly cloudy. Bring a friend.

How does that sound so far?
  3. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Likes are fine. Some commitments from you guys by mid week would be nice for planning.
  4. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @lousgoose what tour did you take at the Biltmore?
    The more I think about it, I’d hate to set up a ride and not make it. Who knows, I may make it 2 miles or I might be out for a few hours.

I'm actually surprised you haven’t hit 12k already. I hit that my each of my first 2 years on my 700GS and never made it further then TN. But now that I’ve ridden the same roads a 1000 times I don’t always take advantage of a random 2-4 hours like I used to. If I can’t hit 200 miles I usually pass. I need to fix that.
    lousgoose likes this.
  5. lousgoose

lousgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I think I’ve been there maybe 3 times, or maybe 2 times, I can’t exactly recall. But anyhow, I most enjoyed the self guided audio tour of the house. You don’t have to linger in groups of strangers waiting on the guide to start talking about each room and such. You get a headset and go at your own pace. Definitely go by the winery. There are grounds tours but I’ve always just explored myself though it’s a lot of walking. As I’ve stated before, it’s all very touristy but WELL worth it in my opinion.
    mbabc likes this.
  6. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know tomorrow's ride wasn't set in stone, but I've got a pet issue and won't be able to ride. I'll try to keep Halloween open.
  7. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Hope the pet issue goes OK, I know how those can be. We just lost one of ours a couple of weeks ago :(
  8. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    Okay....

Shep, you are invited. SEE comment below.

I can't make 10/31 because it's my last day at work! I'll be spending more time at the Lake House! And trying to keep my plans to head to Bog Bend in February!
    Shep likes this.
  9. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    You taking that new Honda to Big Bend?
  10. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    That's the plan!
  11. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you're planning to stay, but we had trouble finding a campsite for a week within the park. We went in February, and booked the site months in advance.
  12. jtclark13

Oddometer:
    Took a short test ride today, not really happy with the results. Lever control was just fine which was a concern, the only thing that hurt was when there was weight on my hands. So basically stopping, going downhill, hitting bumps, etc. Luckiy I’m not a sport bike guy, both bikes have a pretty neutral position. So I’ll be attempting the Loose Nut ride knowing he said it’s pretty tame compared to rides in the past, but I’ll be riding at a much slower pace than normal. I have a feeling my riding season is over outside of that ride, but there’s many more to come and I’ll be better off in the long run! :ricky
    Shep, mbabc and rich_mc like this.
  13. brennan s10

brennan s10 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok you guys talked me in to it I'm in on the 31. where are we going to met and what time .
    STcorndog, mbabc and rich_mc like this.
  14. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    No kidding? Hmmmm. I better start researching options.
  15. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    I stayed in this one about 2 years ago. I was the only person in the whole place.

Rancho Topanga Campgrounds
    (432) 371-2131
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/2pNJySVaSeGsrzBZ9
  16. KYMike

KYMike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stayed there one night in 2015 (I think I was the only one there too). It seemed pretty new then, the bathroom was nice.

Rancho Topanga.JPG
    rich_mc likes this.
  17. UncaBuddha

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Looks like a hammock is out!!!
  18. rich_mc

Oddometer:
    Yep- not much to tie it to... 20191202_174146.jpg 20191203_081953.jpg
  19. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I am moving this post forward. Looks like weather is good and leaves are disappearing fast. I will post up again Friday.

For tentative planning purposes we can meet at Hatmakers gas station at Pope Lick/Taylorsville Road at 11:00 edt. We have about 4-6 maybes so far.
    rich_mc, lousgoose and mbabc like this.
  20. lousgoose

lousgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll be at a wedding in Bloomington all day Saturday, then coming home Sunday afternoon. You guys have fun.

Btw, this past Friday I strapped me one of them $14.99 per day uhaul trailers to the 1999 Subaru Battletruck Wagon of the Apocalypse, and drove all the way to northwest St. Louis to pick up a 2003 Guzzi for a late Fall/Winter project, drove back that night. It’s my 12th Guzzi I’ve ever owned and no less than my 5th California 1100 version. It’s not a true beater but the previous owners sure didn’t take the best care of it. And don’t get me wrong, I like Harleys, but I’m always sad when I see someone trying to Harleyfy a Guzzi which actually happens more than you’d think. When I could score an hour or two this past weekend (I worked both Saturday and Sunday), that time was spent pulling junk OFF the bike. Owner had these terribly beaten plastic cruiser boxes on it along with forward controls, a corroded backrest and top case mount, and an oddball side pannier rack that is not anything I’ve ever seen - it quickly came off as well. Previous owner had installed aftermarket no name slash pipes on it which was causing the headers to blue, the bike to run way too lean, and in addition to sounding like the worst bit of bloated, exaggerated fake engine sound you’ve ever heard. And again, I don’t mind a bit of good engine sound but there is that, and then there are pipes installed just to be the loudest things on Earth. He was a good fellow and I could tell that he actually took pride in some of the stuff he did to the bike, but it was a bit comical where I’m off from his house getting the trailer ready for boarding, he goes to the garage and starts it up; I quickly snap my neck in that direction and say to myself in a mostly expressionless way, “Oh boy. This is going to be interesting”. :-) Looks like he or someone else had also rattle can painted the side covers. At one point it’s had either a clogged breather hose or a seal or two leak and oil was sprayed in a lot of places on the crinkle black stock engine paint they put on the 2000-2002 models. But all in all, it’s running decent and looking surprisingly nice in the dark silhouette of the garage. There is just something I’ve always loved about Guzzis and always will, I think, especially the 1100 Californias. Most of them have very little chrome, very unadorned, simple but tastefully styled bikes almost looking like something post WWII.
    STcorndog, Shep, rich_mc and 2 others like this.