Love Jims Maintenance Dvd !

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kdude, Apr 17, 2007.

1. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Can't say enough about the DVD. JVB is a natural teacher with lots of patience. The dvd is better than i expected. Little tips that make each "how to" project a little easier. (eg. Mark Parnes Spark plug cap puller). I really cant wait to jump into some of the maintenance stuff i have put off because of lack of knowledge, skill and know how. I am going to do all my own maintenance now thanks to JVB........

I highly reccomend this DVD even if you won't do your own maintenance because it will help you understand what the mechanic is doing to your bike and how he should do it.

BRAVO JIM, GOOD WORK ! :clap

Howard
  2. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I got mine yesterday and have only previewed a few minutes of it. The little bit I have watched is probably the best motorcycle instructional video I have ever seen. Very high quality. Very professional. It looks like it was made in Hollywood. Great job Jim!:clap :clap :clap
    I also highly recommend this video. Even if you have no desire to do your own work I would still buy it because it really could not hurt to learn more about your bike and know what things to check to make sure your dealer did the work correctly. Those that do their own work, not matter what your experience level is would benefit from this DVD.:nod
  3. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder, just ordered mine!
  4. rangepig

rangepig Brick Flyer

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday and watched it before I went to work today (most of it anyway). It really goes a long way to taking the fear out of working on my bike myself. Watching how easy Jim makes everything look is encouraging. Actually seeing someone perform the tasks really helps get it clear in your head, much more so than a printed manual. This DVD is worth every penny!

I have a few nitpicks with the production, but I work in television as an engineer so I'm probably overly critical about audio, MPEG compression, text, graphics, etc. Next time you make one of these Jim let me know and I'll help you transcode your video a little cleaner and get rid of the jaggies on your text and stills.

--rangepig
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments, it means a lot coming from you guys who actually work on your bikes!

RP- I saw them and agree. I will at least get some advice on the next one.

I am not perfectly happy with the quality, especially the sound, and the transition slides, but I figure it isn't too bad for a first effort shot in a garage, and no experience in video shooting and editing. I have some ideas for making some parts less detailed, and other parts more detailed, with zooming on critical parts, and more, and clearer background sounds.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I can't get better without it.

I am sure you will see an improvement in the future DVD's, as I am a bit of a perfectionist. The training value, however, I am pretty satisfied with, since I am a trainer by profession.

Jim :brow
  6. rangepig

rangepig Brick Flyer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what you used to edit and then encode/author the final DVD with, but there are a lot of good books out there that will help with the basics. I'm guessing based on all the posts I've read from you here and at MOA that you're a pretty technical guy so you may like getting into the nuts and bolts of improving your video quality. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

You're never going to get great commercial quality from a miniDV camera due to the limitations of the format, but prosumer HD cameras are getting cheaper and cheaper. Even though right now almost all DVDs are standard definition you should still capture and edit in the highest resolution you can afford and down convert the final cut with a good transcoder for the DVD. Depending on how much you make from this video you could always rent a high def camera for the next one. Renting is definitely cheaper than buying unless you're going to make videos every day.

--rangepig
  7. Lawlessdawg

Lawlessdawg PuP

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Received the CD yeterday and watched it. My fears of working on my bike are now gone thanks for the great CD.
  8. Nick Makwell

Nick Makwell Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer:
    Where and how can one get this fabulous device??

Oh - I'm in Straya.....airmail cool?

(btw thats Arse-trailer to you Yanks)
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I used a new JVC hard drive camera. The quality is pretty clear when viewed on a standard TV and DVD player, slightly less so on a laptop.

I also used their propriatary editing software, because little did I know, they used their own format, and you can't export it to a different format until you convert it first. By the time I realized the limitations of the software, I was too far into the editing to start over. The next DVD I will likely convert it all first, then edit it on a different software package.

Thanks for the advice.:thumb

PS I shot it all at the highest quality setting, and it used 4.2GB of the DVD capacity of 4.7GB.
  10. Motor-110

Motor-110 ...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer:
    I agree with all of the positive comments. I received my DVD on Monday, and did my 6k GSA service on Tuesday. Piece of cake. Nice tricks for doing valve clearance that I never thought of.

I am even looking forward to doing the brakes and final drive later. I can't believe that I just said that.

It was nice doing the service, I left the DVD on the TV in pause, and came in periodically to check on clearances, torque value, etc.

Great investment and value priced.

Thanks Jim.
  11. Dawg_enD

Dawg_enD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make one for the R1150GS?
  12. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my DVD in the mail yesterday and watched the riviting episode of Gas tank Removal... A Great ending also. I am going to watch the rest soon...great information and entertainment!!! Thanks Jim for this service...well worth the $$$$$
  13. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Gee, all the positive comments on the DVD are almost enough to have me junk my 1150 Adv and upgrade to a 1200 Adv.

Hmmmmm......
  14. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Maybe mine will arrive today <fingers crossed>. You guys have me jonesing....
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is in the works as a "Companion DVD" to the current one. It will go over the differences, but not cover the items that are the same.

It will also have a lot of extras like installing Motolights, fuse box, Jesse bags, and a bunch of other stuff.

Sorry, but it will not cover all the stuff on the 1100/1150 series like the 1200 series does, but all will be covered if you buy both.

PS It will probably be cheaper, and this was not a marketing ploy to get you to buy both. The 1200 DVD is close enough that you could use it for most of the services on the 1100/1150 bike, so it seemed silly to do it all over again.
  16. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    :spam

:lol3
  17. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here!
  18. blazer

blazer Vote Blazer for President

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Do you think you could include boring and relining the cylinders, installing a new high performance cam (with instructions on how to machine this cam yourself), and re-building the transmission? I figure 5-7 min of video on this would be fine.

I think that these are going to be the projects I want to tackle next. :wink:

B-
  19. yellow

yellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No delivery to MILWAUKEE yet.....

did it come USPS?
  20. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    :nod Mine came Sat. or Monday. It's in an envelope that looks like a greeting card ..