#lovecroatia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DiscoVolante, May 31, 2017.

1. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello folks,

so, First of all, I would like to introduce myself.
    My name is Darian, and I'm living in Tučepi, small town on the Adriatic coast.
    I'm driving a '08 Vespa GTS with few mods like Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, front aftermarket shock absorber, etc.

I want to show you the beauties of my country, and I hope you'll enjoy in pics as I enjoyed in my Weekend rides.

So, let's see some action!

Where to go? While enjoying in beautiful sceneries of Passo Vruja, I decide to find the source of river Cetina. Dalmatia inland, here I come! :)
    [​IMG]

After enjoying in combination of slow and fast corners and scenic landscape, I'm fiiling up the gas in Sinj, town with rich cultural heritage, famous by the Knight's Alka tournament (Google: Sinjska Alka), which has happened every year since 1715!
    [​IMG]

After beutiful sceneries of lake Peruča and great road with plenty of corners, little break with view at Dinara Mountain!
    [​IMG]

...and I'm counting miles to the small place Civljane, where I turned to the local road, until I saw the ruins of oldcroatian church St. Spas from 9th century.
    [​IMG]

I'm exploring the ruins, and drive few miles to the final destination...
    .[​IMG]

The Cetina River rises to an elevation of 385 metres in the northwestern slopes of the Dinarides, The River has three sources, among which the largest one is the Glavaševo Lake, 130 metres in depth. 105 kilometers long way to the sea starts here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While enjoying in stunnig scenery and untouched nature, I decide to go into the river, not so smart idea while temperature of water is about 7-8 Celsius.
    So, selfie time!

[​IMG]

But, it's time to drive back, which is not hard when you have scenery like these in front of you.
    [​IMG]

So, oldschool vs Modern? I prefer oldschool. :)
    [​IMG]

And, after 260 kilometers I'm home, some beautiful experiences, nice roads, stunning sceneries, and plans for next destinations. :)
  2. Stewart5533

Stewart5533 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome, great RR and pictures you live in a beautiful part of the world, look forward to many more.
  3. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing with us Darian!
    We expect more to come and please keep on posting OG handshift scooters!
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Nice photos! My daughter has been to Croatia and loved it. It's on my "after retirement to-do list" to ride there!
    johnnywheels likes this.
  5. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your RR and hope to see more! Thanks!
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  6. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for comments!

I'm glad that you like the photos, I want to show you unexplored natural beauties of my country, which aren't so much known, and you wouldn't see them in tourist brochures.

Regards,

D.
    max384, Delta Sierra and kantuckid like this.
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    coooool!!
  8. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful country. I was fortunate to visit there for one week back in 2001 as the pianist in the U.S. Air Force Band of Europe, and wish to come back for a much longer visit.

My travelogue: http://www.michaelelyard.com/Croatia.htm

Hope to see more of your travel photos!

9. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Darian, beautiful country! I hope to get there next year and a few of the neighboring countries.
  10. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Fantastic photos. Croatia is beautiful. More please!
  11. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, we are going on!

Sunny day, Vespa is parked in garage wit full tank, what to do? Let's go for a ride!
    Imotski is the next destination, small town located in dalmatian hinterland.
    As I'm limited with time, I choose the fastest route - driving the coastal road to Baška Voda, then passing trough mountain Biokovo, and 4248m long tunnel Sveti Ilija takes me to the other side of mountain. After few kilometers of driving, I can see Imotski and lakes.
    [​IMG]
    Few words about Imotski! (c/p)
    The region of Imotski is situated behind the mountain Biokovo, on the border of Bosnia and Herzegovina with Dalmatia . It occupies an area of approximately 600 km2 .

The region is located at an altitude of 260 meters ( Field of Imotski ) to 440 meters ( town Imotski ). Region of Imotski can be divided into three natural zones: the karst area along the perimeter of the field, spacious karst areas and bays in the wider area - field of Imotski, and a large mountain range Biokovo.

I'm driving trough beautiful sceneries, and enjoying at the look at Imotski field.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look on the lake Ričice, known as the Green Lake. It is situated in Ričice in the northwest of Imotski. The lake is connected by rivers Vrbica and Ričina.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, let's go to Red Lake. That lake is named after the reddish-brown color of the surrounding cliffs, colored by iron oxides. Red lake is the deepest karst lake in Europe and one of the deepest in the world. The depth of the sinkhole is around 500 meters, with a width of 450 meters. The diameter of the lake is approximately 200 meters and the depth is 290 meters. The legend says that if you can throw a stone in the Red Lake you will soon get married. Because of its surroundings and the depth of the sinkhole, it is very difficult to throw a stone in the lake, but the locals know the secret of how to make it hit the lake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One interesting fact about Imotski - it's the town with more Mercedes Benz's per capita than any town on the planet! Driving on Imotski street gives you opportunity to see all models of Mercedes, from old W123s, classic garage queens, and some newest CL63 AMGs. Urban legend says that in small place Grubine, located close to Imotski were more Mercedes Benz cars then inhibtants!
    [​IMG]

Small pause in caffe bar "Nu", where I'm sitting on the terrace of old stone house and enjoying in familiar atmospere. "Nu" is local funny word for "Look at", specific for Imotski area.
    [​IMG]

The Topana fortress is located near to the mountain slopes of Modro jezero (Blue lake) and dominates over the town.
    The fortress was built in the 10th century and throughout history had a great strategic significance. The patron of the Imotski border- land is Our Lady of the Angels, and a small church of the same name is located in the fortress' surroundings. The fortress was under Ottoman rule for over 200 years. Today, this fortress is a favourite place thanks to the extraordinarypanoramic view, and many cultural events are held here during the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Blue lake is very attractive to media during periods of extreme drought. When the lake gets dry local people form two teams playing football at the bottom. The match always attracts numerous journalists and images end up in media around the globe.

Also, there is very specific football stadium, Worth visit.
    http://www.total-croatia-news.com/i...-you-die-imotski-stadium-number-1-on-the-list

[​IMG]

Only 45 minutes of driving from crowded dalmatian streets, traffic jams, Zimmer Frei panels, you can enjoy in intimate and familiar atmosphere of one beautiful and specific town. What a place!
  12. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday i met this company on the road!

It was part of "Vespa Oldies Adriatic Tour" and guys pass 1700 km in 2 days on old Vespas, from Zagreb to Dubrovnik and back! I hope that next year I will join with my 180SS '67...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Past VS Future...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thirsty 1, KHVol, tastroman and 8 others like this.
  13. kurien

kurien adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics Darian and excellent commentary as well. Thank you for telling us about your beautiful country. Croatia's been long on the bucket list. Now inspired more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  14. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. More please!!
  15. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    Darian:

Those are beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them!
    We figured out a few years ago that part of my family (my father's mother's parents) came from Croatia, and it's made me curious about your country. Now I'm really wanting to visit!
  16. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad that you like photos!

So, we're going on!
    It's Sunday, the ideal weather forecast, and today's destination is located in neighboring Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I'm riding on the old road to Vrgorac, passing under Biokovo Nature Park and enjoying in the view to the Adriatic Sea, while huge rocks and cliffs stretch across.
    [​IMG]

A short pause in Vrgorac, the birthplace of the famous poet Tin Ujević, then I'm crossing the border and arriving in Ljubuški, where I visit Classic Car Meeting.

That bike is proof that you do not need a bag of money to make the attractive Scrambler.

[​IMG]

Back to the '60s!
    [​IMG]

Great nippy car, classy BMW E21 with straight six 2.5 under the bonnet![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Offerings to the legend!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm passing trough Ljubuški, and driving to Mostar trough field of small private factories, and some traffic jams are the sign that Međugorje is close. Međugorje is one of the most famous Roman Catholic pilgrimage sites in the world and the centre of religious tourism in the region. I'm driving away, and enjoying in beautiful view.
    [​IMG]

Ogromni Shopping centri, hoteli i restorani nesumnjivo dokazuju da je grad centar zapadne Hercegovine, ali oštećene fasade na kućama kao i rupe od gelera su podsjetnik na ne tako davnu povijest.
    [​IMG]

Advertising at its best! Yugo, car with symbolic status in Yugoslavian countries due to the simplicity, reliability, and overall cheap price, and the Yugoslavian mentality of people regularly fixing their own cars instead of servicing them at mechanic shops.
    [​IMG]

What to say about that town with rich and painful history? Only some c/p...
    Mostar is a city and municipality in southern Bosnia and Herzegovina. Inhabited by 105,797 people, it is the most important city in the Herzegovina region, its cultural capital, and the center of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton of the Federation. Mostar is situated on the Neretva River and is the fifth-largest city in the country. Mostar was named after the bridge keepers (mostari) who in the medieval times guarded the Stari Most (Old Bridge) over the Neretva. The Old Bridge, built by the Ottomans in the 16th century, is one of Bosnia and Herzegovina's most recognizable landmarks, and is considered one of the most exemplary pieces of Islamic architecture in the Balkans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old school...
    [​IMG]

Lunch break, eating traditional bosnian meat Ćevapčići, with a great look!
    [​IMG]

Some remembers...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm driving across Neretva river, small pause under Počitelj castle from 16th Century.
    [​IMG]

Random Meet on the road!
    [​IMG]

And driving home with one break at Baćina Lake..

[​IMG]

Regards, D!
  17. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First, few words about todays destination...

Only few kilometers from Makarska, you can see high peaks of mountain Biokovo. Biokovo is the largest and highest mountain in Dalmatia. It rises vertically from the Adriatic Coast to height of 1762 m.
    Because of it’s geographical position, Biokovo is a mountain that has continental as well as Mediterranean climate, so various plant species of both worlds meet and live next to each other. There are lot of caves and pits around Biokovo and very often one can meet wild muflon as well as various bird species and foxes too.

23 km long road leads to the top, so, let's go!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flashback...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some enduro style road...
    [​IMG]
    ... and beautiful view to Makarska and islands.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ernbo6, thirsty 1, drumdog and 6 others like this.
  18. DiscoVolante

DiscoVolante Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The highest peak is close...
    [​IMG]

And I'm enjoying in the look from 1762 m high peak...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The church st. Jure is a church at the highest sea leveel in Croatia. It was First mentioned in 1640. Each year, the last saturday in July, marking the holiday of St. Jure in church.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards, D
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have some great riding and spectacular scenery in your country. Thank you for posting your pictures:clap:clap I like your Vespa as well. I hope you continue to post more pictures from your rides.
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  20. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    Those coastal views are simply beautiful.

Actually reminds me a lot of the week I spent riding a rental scooter around the islands of Malta about 20 years ago.