low coolant

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by eugeneorange, Jun 23, 2004.

1. eugeneorange

eugeneorange that's gonna leave a mark

Oddometer:
    My coolant level is below "LOW" mark in the overfill tank. Is it normal to loose so much in just 570 miles of eeeasy riding? There is no leak, at least not in my garage.
    What type of coolant can I add WITHOUT having to flush the whole system and replacing the coolant with something like EngineIce?
    Can I add distilled water if it's this low?

eugeneorange
  2. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make shure you pop the side fairing cover and look into your radiator. I had the same problem. I just added to the tank and sooner or latter the radiator was geting lower and lower and I did not know it. All this happenend after a 400 mile trip.
  3. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    If you bike is new and its only got a total of 570 miles its likely that the cooling system hasnt been bled properly , fill the radiator core up to the top and then top the expansion bottle up to max mark (i'd use antifreeze over water) and keep an eye on it. I think the workshop manual has a bleed procedure , which involves opening bleed screws on the water pump and the lhs radiator (top) while the engine is running and closing them when the bubbles stop?, though i'd be inclined to get a dealer to do this is if the simple refill doesnt stablise the levels, ps mine did this and once refilled the level has never changed in over 4Kmiles.
  4. Daan

Daan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Iff the bike is brand new, this is normal, mine and a lot of other new bikes

had the same here in germany and holland!!!

Just fill up a few times, and the level will be stabile!!!

Greetings Daan!
  5. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    normal in new bike...
  6. eugeneorange

eugeneorange that's gonna leave a mark

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks, I feel better now. Before I head over to the dealer for the 1st service, what kind of antifreeze can I put in? (I mean what kind comes in the bike)
    Does the bike run cooler with the needles raised and the air screw adjusted?

eugeneorange
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes the fan will come on less ,,cats still thermonuclear