1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Low cost CAN bus diagnostics tool

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by safischer, Jul 21, 2018.

1. safischer

safischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to share what I think is an effective alternative to the more expensive GS-911 CAN-bus port diagnostics tool. It involves 3 ingredients:

motoscan_app_scanner_connected_7246_500.jpg

1. OBDII diagnostics port module with a bluetooth capability (ELM327 compatible) for communicating with your smart phone or tablet. You may already have such a device if you do any type of work or diagnostics on your car. The one I have used for this article is the: BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices. You can get this for $22 from Amazon here: http://a.co/9pm1MyB

2. An OBDII to BMW 10 port diagnostics port cable. You can get this also for $22 from Amazon here:http://a.co/ct6Es1S

3. An app for your phone or tablet designed to utilize this setup: Motoscan. It is from a German software company (WGSoft.de) that specializes in OBD2 scanning tools. It is expensive as far as apps are concerned ($27), but a heck of lot cheaper than the alternatives. Note that this diagnostics app is not the same of the more popular Torque and other OBDII apps also out there, with some being free. While they may work for reading some of the status information, you will not be able to do more specialized things like resetting error codes or the pesky service interval message. Motoscan is specifically designed for BMW motorcycles and seems to understand their proprietary codes and can handle these other tasks.

The process for using this tool is fairly straightforward. The app should be installed first on your preferred device while working with the bike. Keep in mind that if you want to carry this tool with you on some of your bigger road trips, you may want to use your phone due to its portability. Motoscan supports an evaluation version with limited capabilities that is free. You can use this first to verify the entire setup works before buying the full version. If you have positive results, then you will want to purchase the fully functional app in order to do more useful things like resetting error codes or the service interval message.

After installing the app, the next step is to find the diagnostics port on your motorcycle. For the F800GS, this is under the seat, as held by a plastic clamp, and with the port covered by a plastic screw-on cap (pictured to the right). With the bike off, remove the cap and plug one end of the diagnostics cable into the port. Next, plug the OBDII diagnostics Bluetooth module to the other end of the cable. After making these connections you can then turn on the bike and begin by pairing the bluetooth OBDII module to your phone. After doing that, you can then start up the Motoscan app. If it works, then you should be able to get a reading of various operating parameters of your bike such as engine temperature, RPM, etc.

You can also read about this and other info at my blog here: https://www.caladvrider.com/projects/BMW_CAN_diagnostics_port.html
  2. safischer

safischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should add that BMW changed the diagnostics interface on their 2016 bikes from CAN-bus to Lin-bus. This adapter cable above is for the CAN bus interface as I have tested on my 2015 BMW F800GSA. I don't know if a Lin-bus version of this type of solution exists.
  3. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Motoscan with the OBDScan MX (plugs direct into my OBD connector on the bike) on my 2017 F700GS.

I bought MotoScan because I got tired of seeing 2016+ on Roadmap of GS911 only and no answers as to when it'll be supporting my bike.
    While my bike isn't supported yet to view and reset adaptation, fixing my date and setting service reminder distance (in km despite being set to imperial) and date is likely the most common task I would use the GS911 for anyway.

There is another thread about MotoScan on here that made me realize I'm not stuck without a solution.

Also good it auto creates backups of the coding for those that start to play with coding right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  4. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Were you able to reset a service reminder using the BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices ?
    I read some reviews that stated the cheaper OBDII units would not transmit the longer statement to the ECU and wonder if this one was capable of doing so,
    rather than spending $$ on a more expensive unit like the:
    ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows
  5. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The software has an adapter check you can run with your hardware, so you can test your adapter with that.
    I didn't see it before I bought the software so I can only imagine you can test it with the free software as well.

I went for the MX after both units I had couldn't talk to the ECU.

Edit: I read it as if you already had the BAFX too. :/

Nesbocaj likes this.
  6. safischer

safischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have been able to reset the service reminder with the BAFX OBDII device as described. See the following picture: motoscan_app_scanner_connected_7250_800.jpg
    Jonher and Nesbocaj like this.
  7. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Thanks Saf
    Thanks Morfic

scan tool on the way....yes the cheaper one :lol3 (BAFX)
    morfic likes this.
  8. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got my cable and obd II tool today. Hooked it up to my 09 f800gs and it works great! I'm only using the free version of the Moto scan app at the moment. Anyone know what the actuator feature is on the professional version? I'm looking just for basic diagnostic testing and getting codes.
  9. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW - Hexcode has announced support for the 2017 F-bike's in the July update for the GS911
    http://www.hexcode.co.za/july-2018-software-updates-available
    Have not tried it out yet (wife's '17 F700GS) but will soon. I am happy to support the guys that put the hard work into reverse engineering the BMW engine computer. Not averse to alternate suppliers who have done the work. Refuse to support the Chinese ripoffs, a position unashamedly colored by my own experience with Chinese ripoffs in my professional career.
    -----------------------------------
    July 2018 software updates available

Support for 2016+ bike models: F800GS, F800GSA, F800GT, F800R, F700GS, G310GS and G310R, as well as service reminders for XKOMBIHI TFT instrument clusters and service functions for the XBCO body controller on K001 bike models.

GS-911 PC Application Version 1807.2 and updates to the GS-911wifi web interface are now available.

New EU-4 compliant bike models supported:
    • F800GS (K72) 2016+
    • F800GSA (K75) 2016+
    • F800GT (K71) 2017+
    • F800R (K73) 2017+
    • F700GS (K70) 2017+
    • G310GS (K02) 2017+
    • G310R (K03) 2016+
    morfic likes this.
  10. Rhombic

Rhombic Typical KLR *****

Oddometer:
    I used the OBDLink MX bluetooth and the Motoscan app to change the service date on my 17 F800GSA. That's pretty much all I'd use a gs911 for so for me it's a reasonablely priced alternative. Thanks safischer for your post.
  11. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can any F800GS owner who has Enduro Pro mode send me their coding backup file the Motoscan app made? (The oldest one preferably)
    I'd like to diff it.

Thanks,

Daniel

12. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just a heads up, lin bus is not a different computer interface than can bus, it works with can bus but just controls other aspects of the bike, correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure it only has to do with the round controller that the newer bikes have on the left side of the handlebar.

newer bikes are still can bus but they have switched to the obd2 connector so for the 2017 and on bikes you will not need to purchase the adapter cable.
    morfic likes this.
  13. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the tool this past weekend to pull codes off of my friends 09 f650gs twin. It had a hard failed abs light. The moto scan app, adaptor, and OBD II Bluetooth adaptor worked great. Only took a few minutes and we had the code for a rear abs sensor. Thank you so much for posting about this product!
  14. jh_

jh_ n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a GS-911wifi Enthusiast Version diag tool (USB and WiFi support) that I am interested in selling. I bought the tool new in March last year and it is in as new condition with one vin number registered to it (Enthusiast version is limited to 10). I have sold my BMW bike and therefore no longer have a need for it. Located in Fort Scott, KS. PM me if interested with a reasonable offer.
    haimlu likes this.
  15. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    OK I cannot get the service notice to turn off it acts like it has reset and shows that it has but the service notification is still showing. Help?
  16. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know a iOS app that does the same thing?
  17. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you set the new service reminder in miles or did you convert it to km?
    Somehow the service section requires entering km no matter what the bike is set to. Maybe that relates to your service notification still being on?

18. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    You probably already tried this, but did you turn ignition off and on again? IIRC this is required to complete the process.
  19. cre

cre n00b

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that the cheap OBD bluetooth works to reset the service indicator. Mine is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQ57BE8

But the one I have cannot start the ABS pump to do a complete brake oil change. Can the $22 adapter do it? can anybody try that?

Thanks
  20. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BMW method is flush as normal, then brake until ABS kicks in, done (in short). Full description in BMW DVD.