1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Low cost CAN bus diagnostics tool

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by safischer, Jul 21, 2018.

1. cre

cre n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Motoscan has the ability to start the BMW process to start ABS pump while the bike is on the center stand. I would assume this is the how it is supposed to be executed. When I contacted Motoscan they say that to start the ABS pump process you need a OBD II device that allow long messages. So it seems that there are different message lengths between reset the service indicator and ABS pump.
  2. Apie

Apie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you ever figure out if Enduro/Enduro Pro modes could be enabled with a coding update? I also have a '17 with ABS and ASC and a red plug installed under the seat, but no Enduro modes, and it would be great if it could be hacked.
  3. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No.

I have tried several combinations of the options that seemed to relate to ride modes and haven't found one that gave me what we wanted.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  4. cascade63

cascade63 Gone.

Oddometer:
    Ok I just received the cable tonight, have already received the OBDII a few days ago.
    I then went into settings and did an Adapter Check. Everything was fine except down the bottom it said it did not have the ability to send long messages so can not reset the service interval and reminders plus other things.

I have the BAFX Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool. Using the MOTOSCAN App on a Samsung S9+.

What have i bought that is wrong ??
  5. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you using the free version of the Motoscan app? I bought the professional app version which allows resetting of the service interval.
  6. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The adapter check doesn't fail unless the adapter can't write long messages.

The app version only matters if the adapter can write them in the first place.
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  7. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. One cannot blame the app if one does not adhere to using the recommendation for the required type of adapter.
    ontrip likes this.
  8. cascade63

cascade63 Gone.

Oddometer:
    One is not blaming the app. I bought the exact same adapter as used by the OP.
    When I ran the check however the app said it couldn't write long messages yet the OP used the BAFX OBDII at the start of the thread.

Luckily the place I bought the BAFX OBDII from has a 30 day return policy no questions asked so its on its way back and a OBDII LX is on its way.
  9. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Posts 4 and 5 covered the choice of adapter issue.
  10. HunRider

HunRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Fury" 161 Orbiting around a binary star system
    My BAFX OBDII worked well end of 2018. I just tried to reset the service reminder and get the same error message about couldn't write long messages. WTF?

update: I uninstalled the App and put back the old version 0.56. The trick is working, service reminder cleared.
  11. safischer

safischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. A while ago I turned off the automatic app updates on my Android phone, so that may be why I have not seen this issue. I found that having the automatic app updates has typically created more problems like this. I also fly a drone and don't want to see the drone vendor put in new limitations based on whatever new rules or "safety features" that are developed.
  12. Rexford L

Rexford L n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this thread.. I have a 2015 KLR 650 for my "adventure" riding but just purchased a 2018 K1600 GTL and while I can change the oil etc my self I didn't have a way to clear the codes and the closest BMW Motorrad dealer is 300 miles away and in South Dakota.
  13. hardcoretroubadour

hardcoretroubadour n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used a comparable app with an ios device?
  14. haimlu

haimlu HAIMLU

Oddometer:
    this app can't be open for iphones !! not found
  15. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Lots of ios users buy a cheap used android phone. You don't need cell service just a phone.
  16. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried using the FIXT OBDII reader with the correct round cable to OBDII cord? Reader works in conjunction with cell phone app. I have the FIXT thingy for my cars but not the cable adapter yet. Thanks
  17. carvin

carvin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I tried the BAFX OBDII reader in combination with MOTOSCAN on my 2018 BMW S1000XR and it will not reset the service indicator. The error message indicates it cannot write long messages required and to use a compatible device like OBDLink MX so I'm off to return the BAFX and order an OBDLink MX+. Still much cheaper than a GS911.
  18. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Ah, the world of internet shopping. Buy. Return. Buy. Return. UPS loves you.
  19. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless you need it for a automotive use too, specifically a unique Ford or GM protocol, the LX does everything the more expensive MX+ does when it comes to BMW bikes.
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  20. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a 2014 F700gs and want to cancel the service reminder and lower the tire pressure perimeters.
    I got a Huawei p8 lite 2017 phone and downloaded the motoscan app.
    What cable do I need (part number) to connect the 10pin bike plug to my phone and will I be able to do what I mentioned please?
    Thanks so far