low oil level

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Creekside, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This summer I have not been able to read the oil level on the dip stick. I thought this was the check valve so I just waited for the next change with a new one.

I just changed the check valve out, and changed the oil, filter, cleaned filters and put in 3qts. Ran it for a bit. The level is just drip on the stick, on the center stand and warm. Just a drip on the end.

NOT the middle of the min/max like has been for years.

This bike does that low idle hot and loud cam sounds at times, if your back in rough roads riding hard. Pretty much every long day trip (200-400 mile day). It just does a few times. You rev it, it goes away. Doesn't do it often but it does it. But it's been doing this for years. If it happens to much, you know it's low on oil (1/2liter). But not now, as the tank is too low now so I can't just throw some in. Oil pump? Return line?
  2. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTF!
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

3 qts in my bike puts me at the low end of the dip stick. 3 liters puts me right in the middle.

I don't understand why you can't more oil to get you up to the middle of the stick???
    DirtyADV likes this.
  4. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    The dipstick is the oil level gauge. Never trust filling by quantity. Those oil bottles aren't filled all that accurately, and there are too many variables to do it by volume. Don't infer a measurement when you can *actually* measure it!

Dry sump systems are somewhat forgiving when working properly, so hopefully you haven't done lasting damage.
    comradecasey likes this.
  5. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, to get half way I needed 3.75 qts or 3.5 liters. 3 liters was just a dab on the end.
    I still think something is up. I got 50k miles on this bike, its not like its my first oil change guys.
  6. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    Sounds like maybe the proper amount of oil isn't being pumped up to the oil tank, maybe sitting in the sump? Makes me think oil pump but could be the check valve letting oil return down to sump before closing?
  7. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    First post says he changed out the check valve, and his level check procedure seems good. Usually if the sump is filling up, it will only show on the dipstick after the bike has been sitting for a bit and the valve has leaked down.

I suppose there could be something up with the scavenge pump not doing any scavenging, so oil is getting pumped out of the tank faster than it is getting pumped back in...but the pump elements are pretty durable on these things.

Have you checked all the screens? if one of them is plugged badly, that could make it hard for the scavenge pump to do its job.
    426john likes this.
  8. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    Drainpan under the sump plug and remove? Oil might be 'hiding' in the sump not being pumped back out. Not the end of the world but a pump inspection at some point might not be a bad idea. Clogged screens would do it. The noise from camchain tensioners I would use total mileage on those to determine when to inspect. Buy and use a measuring cup on oil changes to measure what comes out and what goes in. Eliminate nightmares when you can, with reason ignore the rest. No harm in going to a 15W-50/60 instead of a 10W-50/60 depending on median temperature in your area...