"low seat" DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HarveyMushman, Jul 28, 2003.

1. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suzuki says the DR has a "unique" feature that enables one to lower the seat height. How is this accomplished? Is it easily reversible? I know some ground clearance/suspension travel will be lost once the bike is lowered.

I'm thinkin' about a bike for my wife. She's primarily interested in riding mild off-road stuff, i.e., gravel roads, two-track, etc. She's short though. I don't even know if the lowered DR650 would be low enough for her. But the small-bore dual sports that would certainly fit her (DR200, Super Sherpa, etc.) are too limiting as far as on-road riding goes. You see our problem . . .
  2. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    DRZ400

Check out WER Suspension. they can lower most DS bikes for about $160 (revalve and shorten shock).

Talk to Mark S. at Motorcycle Factory in Woodbridge too..

-MM
  3. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assuming we are talking about a 96 or later DR, the rear lowering is accomplished by bolting the shock into a different hole. Fairly easy. The front requires partial disassembly of the forks and messing with a spacer inside, however some people just drop the forks in the triple clamps. The suzuki gel seat will also drop your seated height quite a bit but its not real comfy. Hope this helps.
  4. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    The 400 is pretty tall; we'd have to lower it quite a bit I would think. It's also a bit of a hot-rod for a noob, don't ya think? :dunno

The DR650 appeals because it's strong enough to use on the street while being mild enough for her to handle off the pavement. It's also more comfortable on the street. Fewer things to break too.

Once/if we get closer to buying somethin' I'll give your bud Mark a call.
  5. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, Lee.

I had forgotten about the gel seat.
  6. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    When I bought my used '00 DR650 earlier this summer, it was already lowered. They remounted the rear shock as described and used the dropped triple clamp method. When the bike is lowered, you need to get a shortened side stand. Dual Star also makes a center stand in both standard and lower heights. I've got a 30" inseam and am quite comfortable with the current height. I highly recommend the 5 gallon IMS tank. I'm running IRC GP100's (super 50/50 tires!), but will be switching to Dunlop 606 tires for more of an off road bias. The stock seat is a board, I'd be surprised if the gel seat is less comfortable, but may still get one to find out. I've lowered the gearing to 14/46 from 15/42 and am very happy with this for tough trails. Were I to take a trip, I'd probably slip the 15 tooth counter sprocket in for the road portion and switch to the 14 for any fun stuff. This would be real easy with the center stand. The DR650, so far, has been spot on reliable, touch as nails, always starts right up, is great on pavement, and is still better than I am off road.

Attached Files:

7. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    FatChance, nice looking DR. I had a suzuki gel seat when I had my 02 DR650 and didn't care for it. It lowers you down but also sort of locks you into a pocket that feels to close to the bars and the back of the dip section digs into your tailbone. It also transmits a lot of engine vibration into your body. I had a travelcade gel seat cover on my 97. Much more comfy than stock. Disadvantages: It sits about an inch higher than stock. The gel padding gets really hot when it the bike sit in the sun. I also test rode a bike with the corbin seat. Very nice and comfy, possibly a little wide for offroad use and you need the IMS tank for it to fit right.
  8. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    greetings from Canada Eh !!

I had a 97 DR650SE and had my dealer do the lowering modification. It made a huge difference in reach and the on-road handling was noticeably better due to the lower centre of gravity.

The rear shock linkage has 2 mounting points engineered from the factory and the front fork internals have another mounting point so the height can be lowered without sliding the tubes up in the fork crowns. My dealer did the work and supplied the new kickstand nescessary to match the lowered height. The suspension travel is reduced slightly but I never experienced bottoming.

My inseam is only 30" and I was able to put both feet flat on the road at lights. Mind you, at 240lbs, I contributed greatly to the "sag" The dealer adjusted the rear pre-load accordingly and also installed heavier fork oil.

The bike was great on all roads - but geared a bit too high - it would lug at 100km/hr with the stock gearing and would top out at over 170km/hr - I dropped the front sprocket down one tooth and the difference was just right.

Rode it from Vancouver BC to Pikes Peak Colorado in 1998 and had no problems at all. It was also decent off-road with easy to modulate brakes that allowed neutral descents on gravelly trails.

I miss the light feel and torque but my V-strom keeps me very entertained on the highway. the DR will stay with many sportbikes on tight roads and it is the smoothest single available due to the gear driven balancer.

Happy shopping - ps I have a brandnew Suzuki Gel Seat that I bough just before I traded the DR - & a modifed slipstreamer windshield that removes with 2 allen bolts and fits in a backpack - for sale
    Sfcootz likes this.
  9. CJ Rider

CJ Rider Little Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey HarveyMushman- I just got one of these (lowered with gel seat) in April and been having a total kick with it! I'm 4'10" tall, but I figured out how to scoot over and hold the bike up when I stop. In all honesty, I was a little intimidated by the thing at first. Then, my hubby signed us up for one of Jimmy&Heather Lewis's Adventure Touring Classes and that helped me get over some of those intimidation issues. Now, I'll ride the thing pretty much anywhere and love it! Some pics are here: www.pbase.com/eurobikedenver. It'd be wonderful to get more women into this dualsport thing, so I hope your wife goes for it!