Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:

Hi Gretchen, here is an idea for you to give Mr Munch on righting the bike using a self built method with a ratchet strap. I fell over on a DR250 much as you did it is tall and I pulled up on a rise to turn around and could not reach the ground so over I went but it is light and I can right it, my BMW GS not so much. There are a couple bike lifts out there that are kind of pricey but with a tie down ratchet strap and couple pieces of tube or pipe you can make one. Here is a link to Dustriders motorcycle hoist scroll down the page and you can watch the video. Hope you are both fine always some hiccups on new adventures.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/dustriders-motorcycle-hoist
  2. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    You are awesome. I love it. I will set out to build one immediately. Already have most of the materials. Thanks:clap:clap:clap
    Mr. Munch
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  3. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good ride for the new tiger :)
    perry mountain motorcycle club pmmc tower run Tickets for sale**

Tickets for sale separately or as a pair. $70 or $120 for both (tickets are currently $100 each)
    This dual sport/adventure rally is April 21st and 22nd in Stanton Alabama.***

I had a friend get hit by a car recently and he wont make it to the ride this year.
    The organizers said no to refund but will let us swap the payment to new entrants. I've swapped a 3rd ticket already

perry mountain motorcycle club pmmc tower run
    Search this. I removed the link for the posting.... (you'll need to create an entry form but not add payment info)
  4. Heatery

Oddometer:

If only I were 25 again........:gerg At 46 I get paid to stay up 24 hours. Not the other way around. Thanks for the invite though.

Mr. Munch a Lot,
  5. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Well, hello friendlies. It me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

It's been a while since I told you the adventures of Mr. Munch a Lot. Mostly we have been getting to know each other and making lots of small trips. This last week I took him to a new destination. Desoto National Forest in Mississippi. He was so excited. He has never been there and now with the confidence of being able to pick me up he was ready to go. You have to love a guy who can't wait to spend time with you.:rogue He only gets a kiss on the cheek for now he's no dreamboat yet. He is starting to handle me pretty good and with some confidence but he's no Bogart.

He was excited to see if the new "righting system" would load and ride on my pillion seat without much worry. The new "system", a come-along and a 100' of rope, packed in a dry bag very well. He had to take the come-along apart but, it fit nicely.

DSCN2002.JPG

I worked well but, wouldn't you know it. The duffle bag he ordered to put all this in came in while we were out.:doh Oh well, there is always next week. BTW it looks much better in the new Wolfman expedition duffle.

So off we went. Down through Spanish Fort we picked up Hwy 98 and rode it all the way to New Augusta MS. Well we did get lost when he wasn't paying attention in Mobile and took a wrong turn.:hmmmmm I'm going to have to keep an eye on this guy.

On the way it was a perfect day. Beautiful weather, no traffic, and a rather handsome guy to hang out with. Who can ask for more. We stopped for a stretch break at the MS line. I know, I know only two hours in. He's broken, what can I say.

DSCN2003.JPG

We weren't there two minutes when a really nice gentleman stopped to ask if I was OK. :gdog I told him yeah. We just stopped because Mr. Munch is wimpy. He was glad to hear that, and just like that he was gone.
    NxtGoRnd, B10Dave, zookster and 2 others like this.
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    After the break we started moving right along. Small town and turn offs came and went. It was funny Mr. Munch kept laughing that we must be running in circles on a straight road. We passed the turn to Co rd 198 at least six times.:loco:loco It must have zig-zagged under us without us even realizing it. After a while we I started to think that we missed our turn off. Mr. Munch was more confident and insisted we keep going. Sunny day, nice temps, slight breeze. Why not. Onward.

Not long after we found the turn to New Augusta. Of course there were other bikers there but, they didn't pay us any mind. It's because I am not American. Typical leather and do rags. All and all, they seemed nice until they showed their stupid.:mulie

When we left the gas station there was a traffic light to cross a four lane. There was another bike ahead of me waiting for the light so I pulled in behind. Even with both of us we couldn't trigger the light. Then six Harley's pulled up. Surely enough to trip the light. They didn't even wait. They just ran the light and crossed the four lane.:hair:hair That ticks me off. Motorcycles aren't dangerous, riders are. We've all been there, and it is annoying but, there are safer ways to do things. The first bike and myself patiently waited for a car to come and trip the light. Hey safety first. That is a good guy. Oh yeah. So is Mr. Munch.

Finally we entered the park.

DSCN2005.JPG

Shortly after this sign, (sorry no pic), there was another one stating the area was a bombing range. :jack:jack:jack What a way to say welcome to our National Forest. Have a good time......ducking. The truth is, it was pretty low key. Not much to see, but since it is used by the military there are a lot of dirt access roads. We explored some for a couple of hours then found a place to relax.

IMG_20180428_141047067_HDR.jpg

Logging was shut down for the weekend but it provided a nice cleared area between some trees for the hammock. Aside from the machinery it was peaceful. No planes, no cars, no people just soft breezes in the trees and squirrels.:jkam:jkam

After resting his back for a while ol' Mr. Munch started to get weary. Guess what was on his mind. That's right. :dukegirl Pack up and haul booty he say's. I say just make sure I am not haulin'

too much booty.
    EZMoney, NxtGoRnd, eaglescan and 3 others like this.
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    While leaving the park we saw a sign for a canoe ramp. Being a former canoeist you know he had to see. It turned out to be Cypress Creek landing. Wow. Is it back there. you really have to want to go there to get there. We almost gave up looking for it. If you miss this sign. Forget it. You ain't getting there on the fly.

DSCN2013.JPG

It's a pretty steep ramp. The river looks peaceful though.

DSCN2009.JPG

DSCN2011.JPG

Mr. Munch walked this thing three times trying to decide whether he wanted a pic or not. We even left and came back. I am not sure why he was so indecisive. I think he was waiting for these people to leave. Obviously they didn't, but soon the hunger set in and off we went.

Just running by the seat of his pants without looking at a map we weren't sure where we were but somehow we ended up in Gulf Port. Boy was Mr. Munch happy. Bella took him to a wonderful restaurant there. He said I have to go there to. OK?
    EZMoney, zookster and klaviator like this.
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hello Gulfport. Hello Salute Italian restaurant. :wings:happay

DSCN2017.JPG

This place is in a Hotel across the street from the ocean. :jkam

DSCN2019.JPG

I was amazed when Mr. Munch came out. He wasn't even waddling. He had more of a swagger. He thinks he's all that.:fpalm Not without me your not! After all, what's a swagger without class.

Well here comes the good part. What did he eat. He said he ate heaven........ It was more like this.

DSCN2014.JPG

Pasta with shrimp, salad, bread and tea. $17.12 that is heaven.:super That deserves a trip to the beach for some bikini watching.

DSCN2020.JPG

Had you going didn't I. No bikini's in this shot.
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Wahoo. Belly full. East bound and down, loaded up and (riding). Hope you old farts get the reference.

We rode 90 to Biloxi then jumped onto the slab to avoid Gautier. Gautier is a traffic blah. Because 90 is on the beach it is very rough. He stood up the entire way. :loco:hmmmmm He explained that the ability to stand up when his back hurts is why I am here. That being said. Good enough for me.

When we got back to Alabama we hopped back on 90. He filled my tank in Theodore, then texted Mrs. Munch. "Going to the bar to look for a band. Be home after dark". You know she worries about him.

We went to a place called the River Shack. It is what is says, a shack on the river. He went there with Bella and learned about Lisa Mills. This time, it was.....a little different. There was a band, but they were all senior citizens. Ravages of time and life have ruined the voices and they played like a talented garage band. You might think gee, I don't want to stay for this. Mr. Munch is smarter than the average bear. He said, "Them sad old songs comin' out of them speakers is solid country gold".

He sat down, ordered a Yuengling and sat back to watch the show. Yeah the music was so, so. What caught his eye was the audience. Mostly, retired folks. All of them in love. Dancing, swinging (barely), laughing and loving like they were twenty again.:crash Wow. What a sight. This world can often show the worst it has to offer. Sometimes, just sometimes. When the time is right, the mood is soft and the music brings back a flood of cherished memories, you can see the love, the caring and the tenderness that no cynical world could destroy. It warms the hearts I tell you.:raabia Mr. Munch's spirit was so lifted, I swear he lost weight. Now I have to ask. Did the band suck? He didn't think so.

All musicians around the world hope they have that effect on their fans. I hope Mr. Munch gets to experience that again. I think the world was with us that night because, this pick to end the story is almost perfect. At least to me.

DSCN2024.JPG

Until next time.
    We hope to see you out there.

Love Gretchen,
    NxtGoRnd, B10Dave, eaglescan and 8 others like this.
  10. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey Friendlies. It's me Gretchen again. Did you miss me?

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week was sort of a bust for pictures. I took Mr. Munch all the way to the Econfina Creek water management area just above Panama City Florida. Years ago one of Mr. Munch's friends took him on a canoe trip. On this trip he canoed to several clear water springs. He thought it was so pretty that I suggested we go there. He told me that a couple of the springs had road going to them. We planned the route and off we went.

We left Bay Minette on 31 and headed to Flomaton Alabama. He has made that trip many times and nothing worth telling stuck out this time. From there we crossed over in to Florida and took Hwy 4 through the Blackwater Wildlife Management area. Bella took Mr. Munch there but they only barely looked around. We didn't explore this time either but it is on the list of "To Do" items.

We did manage to come across one interesting tree. I suppose it's not unprecedented, but it was rather cool. You be the judge.

DSCN2025.JPG

Hwy 4 through the WMA is pretty peaceful although rather straight. Sticking to our plan and not turning onto the many side roads was a bit of a challenge, but we managed. We do have a destination in mind. Onward we go.

We kept scoot'n down 4 until Crestview Florida. Time for lunch. Do you remember the best restaurant in the world? Yep, Panera Bread.:dukegirl They did make a small irritating change. Tipping at the register. Let's see, stand in line to order, run your own food, clean up after yourself. What are we tipping for? Why does Mr. Munch have to feel guilty at the register. I mean really who says at McDonalds.......Can I leave a tip?:dizave:asshat He came out full but complaining. I know I told him you don't have to tip, but they are relying on him to feel guilty not tipping. That is not fair.
    klaviator, gulfcoaster and NxtGoRnd like this.
  11. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Mr. Munch saddled up and off we went. Back on 90 headed to Chipley Florida. It was a pretty nice ride. Temp was perfect and traffic was light. We fly by the seat of our pants as much as possible so we were a little surprised how long it took to get to Chipley.

Finally, south on 77 to Hwy 20. That took longer than expected as well. I guess we were just anxious. We hung a left and looked for the much anticipated Pitt and Sylvan Springs. :clap:clap

Oh, poo. I spoke too soon. There were a hundred people there. I was hoping to set in the lot and watch Mr. Munch cool his aching buns in the spring. His new skills is making him sexier every day.:sweeti Some day......

We couldn't even get pictures of the springs. Well, at least I warned Mr. Munch against it. I didn't want to go to the hospital. There were too many under age people there and taking a picture would have been........creepy. Mr. Munch heeded my warning and we went off to the next spring.

About a mile back was Strickland Rd. It is a dirt road that leads to Williford Spring. Sorry the same problem was there too. You will just have to see them online or go there yourself. If you have time go to the canoe livery there. Be careful though. The road has deep loose sand. Mr. Munch is getting much better.:ricky

Well we headed out disappointed. We traveled 20 west to Choctaw Beach. It was full of Harleys. I bet we passed no less then 50. We took a nice break at a park in Choctaw Beach. We had the park to ourselves for an hour. It was nice just sitting with him.:crash

DSCN2028.JPG

After some nice time together he was hungry again. Pizza was the fix this time. The place was a dive but the pizza was good. Sorry no pic this time. It was called Fresh Greece Pizza and grill. His ate more than his fair share this time. At least two clicks on the suspension. Even had to readjust the headlight. :rofl After poking fun at his growing basket ball. I swear, normal stomach when he went in. I don't know how a guys stomach can grow that much without exploding.:knary

Anyway, we hoped 85 through Eglin AFB. Nice well maintained roads. The sun was going down now so we were on the lookout for Bambi. When we got to Baker we took this pic. Bella got this shot too but hey, she is pretty, but I am Sexy.:sweeti

DSCN2030.JPG

Here is one of the other side of the building. For a one horse town it is cool to have two murals.

DSCN2029.JPG
  12. Heatery

Oddometer:
    With this last shot I will say goodnight. Nothing but, darkness and Bambi dodging on the way home.

DSCN2032.JPG

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Love Gretchen,
  13. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey friendlies. It me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week since it was Mrs. Munches birthday Mr. Munch could only go on a short ride. We decided to take a ride up to the Upper Delta Wildlife management area. We had a good time but he almost killed me, or maybe he saved my life.

After checking out the local shooting range......again.:pep We took a new road. It didn't go very far but it had some terrain. At the end we found an Alabama Coastal Birding trail destination. These are scattered all over south Alabama. This one is at Frenches lake.

DSCN2034.JPG

Wow was this place full of SKEETERS!!!!!!! It has a nice little Bird watching area and a trail to get a closer look.

DSCN2036.JPG

This is what is referred to as Frenches Lake. I'm sure there is more outside the frame. I bet there are just as many water moccasins as birds in there. Well, being pretty hot we decided to put some wind in our face and move on. :knary

DSCN2037.JPG
    EZMoney, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 3 others like this.
  14. Heatery

Oddometer:
    We went on a nice dirt road ride through the entire WMA. At the end of the road we stopped for a nice photo opportunity. We saw a lot of Whooping Cranes. Unfortunately I spooked them all before we could get pictures of them. It was still very serene to watch them fly away as we raced through the park. Raced at Mr. Munches pace I might add. :gerg 25 mph. The roads had patches of deep sand and many ruts that were 6" deep. Easy for me but, Mr. Munch took it easy for him.

DSCN2045.JPG

Remember this is the Upper Delta Wildlife Management area. This place in the wet season is a swamp. This is the dry season. Wet is coming but, until I get knobbies, I won't see it.:nono

When Bella took him back here they faught Moccasins and spooked a wild boar. No such luck this time but, it was a beautiful day. After leaving here we took another photo opportunity at another swampy area.

DSCN2046.JPG

You know how Mr. Munch loves to see trees growing in the water. Cypress? Who knows. We are riders not arborists. Whatever they are. I can see why he loves them. They are very pretty and mysterious. Here is a better look at this swamp. Remember it's the dry season.

DSCN2050.JPG
    EZMoney, NxtGoRnd, zookster and 4 others like this.
  15. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Now for some really tough terrain I had to tackle. Mr. Munch was worried but not me.

DSCN2047.JPG

Fooled you didn't I. :rofl:rofl

South Alabama really isn't known for it crazy off road trails, but we still have fun here.

Mr. Munch decided he wanted to try his hand at being an Artist. I begrudgingly obliged.:fpalm He had fun, and the shot did turn out pretty cool for a point and shoot camera.

DSCN2051.JPG

See my mud. We have a little bit of fun. On the way out of the park, crossing many of these little crossings, were those 6" ruts I told you about. Mr. Munch was doing fine handling me through the deep sand, skinny water, and many ruts caused by big power line trucks. However, on one particularly tricky one we were tested. We were holding a steady pace of about 25 MPH. He saw the ruts coming, but I guess we weren't on the same page. He picked one line and I picked another. Each tire in a different rut. My back tire, short on knobbies, just didn't want to play and was kicking us out of the ruts sideways. We were probably 45 degrees off track running sideways in a power slide. I thought for sure Mr. Munch would loose control and I would end up with some serious Oopsies.:grim

I couldn't believe it!!:wings:wings He must have pulled this skill from the distant past riding off road. I certainly didn't teach it to him. He road that power slide perfect. Hit the back brake in just enough time to straighten up before hitting a dirt berm. Leaned in the opposite direction hit the throttle and boom.........back on track.:jkam:rayof He acted like it was not big deal as he passed an old man and his wife fishing the swamps. They certainly saw the entire thing. He confessed to me though. The stars were lined up we got lucky. I sure did.:crash

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Gretchen,
    EZMoney, Graybush, zookster and 4 others like this.
  16. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey friendlies, it’s me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week we wanted to explore a little bit of the Blackwater WMA in Florida. Remember we passed through it last weekend and promised to come back a do a little exploring.

Leaving Bay Minette on 31 heading to Flomaton, we picked up 29 south through Century Florida, then a smooth left of Hwy 4. Hwy 4 goes right through the middle of the WMA. Now this WMA is pretty big so we can’t explore it all in one day. On this day our goal was the Cold Water recreation area.

Getting there we passed through Jay Florida. Mr. Munch almost broke my calipers when he saw this. He has been through here four times now and is just now noticing this. In his defense once was at night and the other two were running west so you couldn’t see it. Murals are cool aren’t they? :super

DSCN2057.JPG

Attached Files:

17. Heatery

Oddometer:
    On to Cold Water. Now Hwy 4 is a long stretch of straight road. There’s not really a lot to look at, but it is peaceful, in the middle of the wilderness, and not a lot of traffic. Great for adventure riding in the south. Not after too long we made it to the turn off.

DSCN2059.JPG

The next five miles were small country roads that were twisty and curvy. It was fun. :ricky Shortly after you cross the river is the Cold Water recreation area. It is an RV / tent campground nestled on a clear running, southern stream called, Big Cold Water Creek.

DSCN2060.JPG

On one side of the bridge is access to the stream from the campground. Only campers can use that side. On the other side of the bridge is public access. The public side is very nice as you can see. Upstream.......

DSCN2061.JPG

Down stream......

DSCN2063.JPG
    fryloc, zookster, EZMoney and 2 others like this.
  18. Heatery

Oddometer:
    The campground caters to equestrianism. It has large stables and even a large, what appears to be, dog kennel. I am not sure why that one is there. Across the road from the campground is a large maintained area for walking your dogs. I didn’t see a lot of dogs but it is a grand place to hang a hammock for a couple hours to rest for the day.

DSCN2064.JPG

Just passed the campground is a trail leading to the right. It runs along the river and gives another more private access to the river. It’s a tough trail. We made it in, but Mr. Munch almost had heat stroke on the way out. :grim :knary :knary I got to take a break, so I was good. :lol3 :lol3 :muutt

DSCN2065.JPG

I guess my claims on Mr. Munches great handling of me were a bit exaggerated.:y0! Back to school for you buddy. He worked for an hour trying to right me. The tree that was in the best place for anchoring was 70’ away. No problem Mr. Munch has a 100’ of rope. Tied off he began to winch. He quickly found that a 70’ length had about the same amount of stretch as his winch has to pull. It was funny watching him reset each time trying to pull the rope tighter. :dhorse Remember this is Florida. Gnats, mosquitoes, 90 heat and high humidity. Finally, he gave up and chose a tree 10’ away, but not quite perpendicular. Now your thinking Mr. Munch. Wala, I was righted.

DSCN2067.JPG

Now I know that the weight and bulk of the come-along and the rope is unacceptable to some of you folks, but either we take that or we don't go. Mr. Munch is not capable of picking me up. The ratchet strap thing was too hard as well. Now I know he could have gotten a 250. He can't pick that up either. He's not a wuss, his muscles are compromised from 2 back surgeries. Now get over it!!! At least he wants to take me out.:annie

Just then two trucks pulled up and asked if he needed help. What timing.:baldy

Back to the stream. He just parked me, left the key and collapsed in the stream with all his clothes on. After about 10 minutes he was alive again, ate some fried chicken, drank some water, and we were off.
    fryloc, Spicciani2, eaglescan and 6 others like this.
  19. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Other dirt roads, not near the river, were free of the deep sand. We explored a few and found this nice scene. Huh, we didn’t know beavers were in Florida. Take a close look. That’s a beaver mound in the middle of the swamp.

DSCN2069.JPG

Don't forget my photo Mr. Munch.

DSCN2068.JPG

The park is full of dirt trails and roads. There are signs that state that motorized traffic is only allowed on named or numbered roads. Most of the trails have numbers, but you are likely to run across some horses out there so be polite when riding.
  20. Heatery

Oddometer:
    On the way back home, we found this neat little museum in Flomaton. They call it a train museum. I am not sure why as there is only a caboose there. It must be in the adjacent building. It was closed but made a nice pic. The caboose is on the other side of the cabin.

DSCN2073.JPG

For my last pic I begged Mr. Munch to return so we could get this photo.

DSCN2074.JPG

Really, how often do you get a chance to ride under a tractor? Ok, I admit I didn’t quite fit, but it was close and still fun. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Until next time, we hope to see you out there.

Gretchen,
    fryloc, Spicciani2, eaglescan and 5 others like this.