Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell Mr. Munch to check out this thread if he hasn't already...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/pensacola-area-riders.320288/

Post 2 has lots of info, and the folks on there have several tracks they can share. Some of them ride smaller bikes there, and some ride bigger bikes. I still haven't made it to BW yet, but hopefully will this year. They have a rally there every fall called the Turkey Trot. Best part is it's free!!!
    Heatery likes this.
  2. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do loove your posts! I am in pretty good shape but know how difficult it can be to pickup even my drz400s in the sand or on a hill. You've got me impressed!
    gulfcoaster, TM1(SS) and Heatery like this.
  3. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spicciani2. It's always nice to hear when someone appreciates you. We try to keep you all interested. Knowing you are makes the effort worth it.

Hope to see you out there.
    Gretchen and Mr. Munch a Lot,
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  4. 129drifter

129drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey Friendlies. It’s me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week we took a familiar route but did some unfamiliar things. First things first, breakfast. Can you guess were this is? It’s another one of the favorites of Mr. Munch. It's the same everywhere and a good way to spend a few dollars. Bacon, egg & cheese Texas toast sandwich. Don’t forget the mayo and Tabasco.:dukegirl

IMG_20180602_083408015.jpg

Heading south on 59 out of Bay Minette. Nothing really to see there. Bella covered this in spades but, she did miss this little mural.

DSCN2076.JPG
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    From there we just followed tourist traffic to Gulf Shores. We took the obligatory cruise of the beach highway 182. First east then west to Florabama. Florabama is not our kind of place so we didn’t stop. Our mission today was to ride the ferry across the bay. Mr. Munch has never done that before.

On our way to the ferry Mr. Munch saw a place that changed his lunch plans. He is so easily sidetracked. Evidently, it’s new to the area. Plus, he can’t pass up shiny. This is the Sunliner Diner in Gulf Shores.

DSCN2077.JPG

It’s a fifties style diner with some neat atmosphere. The “waitresses” (remember we are in the fifties) were all dressed in nice white outfits. They didn’t have a fifties “modesty” to them though. Every outfit was made to fit so you couldn’t help but notice what they were wearing underneath.:doh The buttons on the outfit were too far apart. Yep, Mr. Munch is a perv.:lol3:lol3 Honestly, they should have been wearing a slip with the outfit. I must say, even though today’s girls don’t think of modesty the way they should, I still I felt nostalgia sitting out front. You get much more when you go inside. How cool is this? These folks were having a ball. :rayof

IMG_20180602_130147191_HDR.jpg

Mr. Munch said the food was pretty good. This is their vegetarian take on a Rueben sandwich. He told me that it was good and exactly what he expected but he isn’t sure he would get it again, but the fries made up for it. Another obligatory pic of a lunch no one cares about. :(

IMG_20180602_122459123_HDR.jpg

And let’s not forget about dessert. He said it was as good as it looks.:wings

IMG_20180602_124653010.jpg
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Well, that bit of yummy out of the way, it was back to HWY 180 toward Ft Morgan. That is 20 miles of some fairly nice country road. Since he and Bella had recently gone to Ft Morgan we stuck to the plan of enjoying the ferry ride. We expected to have to wait in the sun and bake but we were third in line and the ferry just pulled up. Incredible timing. I was so excited!!:happay This is certainly a road Triumph didn’t plan for.

Here is the Ferry as it was pulling up to the dock.

DSCN2079.JPG

Here was my view. I was surrounded by cages and Mr. Munch was constantly checking to see if I was riding the waves OK. He’s so sweet.:nomystery

DSCN2080.JPG

I was sitting in front of the control tower.

DSCN2082.JPG

The ride was pretty smooth despite the kicking wind that day. The smell of the salt air was relaxing, and the breeze cooled things off making the entire trip very pleasant. :jkam Mr. Munch spent most of the trip swapping stories with a tourist from Oklahoma. Nice guy. Roughly 30 minutes later we were on Dauphin Island.

On the Dauphin Island side, the line for the ferry was about 50 cars deep. Good thing we were running east to west.:super

Bella covered Dauphin Island too, so no new pics. We toured the entire island but didn’t see much to show. There were about a 100 boat trailers along the road. This was the beginning of Alabama Snapper season.
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Leaving Dauphin Island heading north on 193 was cool. On Bella Mr. Munch couldn’t stand up to see over the sides of the bridge but, with me he could. You could see for miles.

Once off the bridge we came across a small park that Mr. Munch knew was a great place to stop for a while. We pulled in and the place was deserted. The best spot in the park was empty so he took advantage and hung the hammock. He carries it all the time for just such occasions.

There are worse places to hang for a couple of hours. :jkam

DSCN2085.JPG

He even got a shot of me hanging out in the shade, enjoying the breeze, just hangin' out with my bud. :kumbaya

DSCN2088.JPG
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:
    When the sun started going down the gnats started to flare up so we packed up and headed out. Just as we pulled on the Highway he said, “Gretchen, we have been on the water all day and didn’t see a single pirate. We really have to remedy that”. So off we went on a pirate hunting trip. :scratch:scratch:hmmmmm:hmmmmm

A few months back when he took Bella out to the flea market he caught out of the corner of his eye what he thought was a pirate. He didn’t have time to stop so, it’s been bugging him ever since to not know for sure.

Oh yeah. ARGGG!!!! Take that you scallywag’s. We got your pic. Now your soul belongs to me. I command the………. ehem.

DSCN2091.JPG

DSCN2092.JPG

This one put up a fight but Mr. Munch……..Well, let's just say. Don't get between a Mr. Munch and his vittles.:gun1:fight:turkish All kidding aside this is really great artwork for a Mellow Mushroom. It's located on Schillinger Rd in West Mobile if you want to see them.

DSCN2093.JPG

While he was eating his wimpy vegetarian pizza, he spotted another one around the corner. This one doesn't fit the theme but still.......incredible.:0-0:0-0

DSCN2094.JPG

Yep, you guessed it. Tubby added a few pounds. His jacket would barely zip around his belly, and I felt the extra tonnage. You know I could make a killing if I charged him freight charges. :lol3:lol3

Well, that’s about all for this report.

We hope to see you out there.

Gretchen,
  10. fryloc

fryloc Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr.Munch,do you ever make it to Lamberts café in Foley?Great meatloaf!I hope to bring my Beta with me in September,gonna try staying in the state park cabins on lake Shelby.
    Heatery likes this.
  11. fryloc

fryloc Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh Moes BBQ in Orange beach is good also.Totally different taste than here in the Midwest.I hope to try some dining spots in you posts.
    Heatery likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no pics of the Sunliner Diner waitresses??

:lol3:lol3
    Heatery and gulfcoaster like this.
  13. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough. No. There is always a lone a mile long when i am in the area.
  14. Heatery

Oddometer:

I thought i would try to not get killed on this trip. :lol3
  15. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey friendlies. It’s me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week I took Mr. Munch a Lot on his annual pilgrimage to central Florida to visit family. :jkam We decided to take the coastal route down. That is Hwy 98. We took it from Foley Alabama to Brooksville Florida where we hopped onto State Hwy 50 over to Merritt Island.

It was a very slow run. Hwy 98 is full of beach towns and tourist destinations like Pensacola, Ft Walton beach, Destin, and Panama City. It took nearly the entire day just to get through those towns. Lots of lights, traffic and people. :baldy Not the way we wanted to start our vacation. We rolled with the punches though and we got this neat pic in Pensacola. By comparison I am very puny but even on it's best day I would eat it for breakfast. :dukegirl Ok, OK. I know It's 200 years older than me. Still.......:D

DSCN2100.JPG
  16. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Once we got out of Panama City the riding really became pleasant. It began with a nice run through Tyndale Air force base. You run right by the airstrip. We didn’t see any cool planes so we didn’t stop for any pictures.

After leaving Tyndale we came through Mexico City Beach. Wow, what a great little town to ride through. That day had very light traffic. It’s a two lane that runs right along the beach. No condo’s, just normal beach cottage homes for the most part. It really felt like the town was begging you to stay. It had all the feel of small town life. No industry, no tourism, just small-town beach life. Very relaxing. :jkam We will be going back some day. Unfortunately, time constraints kept us going so, we didn’t get any pics.

Our first stop was a beach access with a restroom. I bet you can’t guess why we stopped there. He really does squirm like a 5 year old. From the parking lot it is a short walk through the dune to the nice uncrowded beach.

DSCN2101.JPG

We got this shot somewhere near Carrabelle. It was nice riding next to the water.

DSCN2102.JPG
    B10Dave, klaviator and gulfcoaster like this.
  17. Heatery

Oddometer:
    The day was getting long so we had to boogie. :ricky We still had to find a place to camp tonight. This would be Mr. Munches very first moto-camp experience. A preliminary internet search showed a few campgrounds along the route were we could stop. Let’s just say a little more research should have been done. :doh Every destination was an RV campground with just about every tree cleared out. Who cares you say? The guy trying to do this.

DSCN2104.JPG

Don’t get me started on his lack of skills in setting a hammock. :imaposer Between fighting the overwhelming humidity and mosquitoes I am surprised he got it up at all. It was fun watching an overheated, overweight, bald guy, do things three times before he gets it right. Straps hanging everywhere, tarps flying around. And that tarp, it never did go on right. :stupid He ended up ditching the tarp since it had to be staked to the ground instead of another tree. The pitch of it made sure there was no breeze to cool things off. Remember it is Florida in the middle of June. Eventually around midnight I heard Mr. Munch snore. So, I went to sleep too.

DSCN2105.JPG

The campground was quite pleasant. It’s small, quiet and most importantly, affordable. It is called Newport Park. You probably guessed that it is at Newport Florida on Hwy 98.

Believe it or not. Even after walking 100yds to the…….. Little boy’s room 4 times after midnight. He woke up refreshed and in good spirits. I guess he was right that the hammock is better for his back than a tent. You know, he’s not old but, he sure thinks he is. :gerg
  18. Heatery

Oddometer:
    He packed us up and said let’s go get some breakfast. Just like that we were in the breeze toward Perry Florida. In Perry we found a Huddle house. Now, with a name like Mr. Munch, you would think he eats a lot. He does, but so far on the trip he has barely eaten at all. I expected him to make up for it. He did not disappoint. While he was eating I had a visitor, although he didn’t notice. :( Even though I was in plain sight. Typical of guys. If it’s not in front of their face……. I swear. :bash

He came back out and hopped on my back. I groaned, but settled in for the next leg of the trip. He still didn’t notice my visitor. After going down the road a few miles he decided to look at my tank. Huh? A sticky note was left for him. Being unsafe, he tried to read it in the wind. Flapping all over the place he made out some of the words but mostly out of order. Just then the note flew out of his hands. After about 20 minutes he started to laugh at his snail brain. He told me that his slow brain finally pieced all the information in the note together. It was an offer of close relations followed by a phone number.

He told me once of a similar story when he was young. Back then, he was quite offended and didn’t react very well at all. :asshat This time he was just sad that someone had to resort to a traveler to find and then conceal their desire to not be lonely. It’s a sad point on a nation that is so advanced but still forces people to live in the shadows out of fear. :( Moving on.

In Inglis we stopped for something to drink. For some reason he picked the station across the street from the direction we were heading. I thought it odd but who knows why people do things. It must have been fate. It turns out this is the home of a Motorcycle over achiever. From hearing Mr. Munch complain I know he isn’t cut out for this. While talking to a local outside Mr. Munch learned that the world had just recently lost Mr. Pickett. I hope he is still riding in the sky. The local told us he made all those miles on a Gold Wing.

DSCN2106.JPG
  19. Heatery

Oddometer:
    In Brooksville we came across a small motorcycle rally. It was mostly Harleys but they were accepting of everyone. They had a motorcycle show. Mr. Munch for some reason felt uncomfortable taking pics of bikes he didn’t know. Silly I know but, he did get a wide shot.

DSCN2109.JPG

Coming back to me he snapped this shot. These guys are always on me. They don’t bother me. However, Mr. Munch said that he would never go into that store. I mean honestly, why would you put something 90% of the world fears right over your door. Especially a home décor store. No one wants a spider in the house.

DSCN2108.JPG

Now who can pass up a good hot dog stand. They have just about everything you can put on a dog. Mr. Munch had a chili dog and a sauerkraut and mustard dog. Why he didn’t get a Coney style dog is beyond me. Who knows why this guy does anything. He doesn’t do anything by conventional wisdom. He certainly marches to the beat of his own drum. Sad thing is……It’s off beat.:nomystery It's cute though.

DSCN2110.JPG

The rest of the trip to Merritt Island went smooth with no real photo opportunities. Consequently, I was shut up in the garage for the rest of the week. He would rather ride around with his sister. :2cry I missed him.

Those of you who follow our stories now is where I have to pass some bad news. While we were out of town Bella's "seat cover" was killed. I know Bella will be sad to hear this. Please wish her well. Here is a pick of them together.

seat cover.jpg
  20. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Finally, the day came to leave. We packed up and I was excited to get back on the road. :ricky Hwy 98 was long and pretty uneventful so, we decided to take a different path home. Everyone kept asking. How are you getting back? Standard answer applies here. By the seat of my pants. We don’t plan a lot. His name is Munch a Lot, not Plan a Lot. Besides planning is boring. On the way out of town to have a final breakfast with his sister, we got this shot. Now I know Mr. Munch is ambitious but, I am getting to know him pretty well. If he’s going to ride around the world. This is his only chance. He didn’t take it. :asshat

IMG_20180623_084718459.jpg

We headed off of Merritt Island pretty much the same way we came. On Hwy 50 towards Orlando. It’s a reasonably nice ride. Once into Orlando the traffic and lights pick up but still not terrible. We turned north onto Hwy 441. Somewhere north of Apopka he caught site of this. Now I am not old enough to understand the significance, but Mr. Munch remembers. He said you need to zoom in. When is the last time you saw that logo?

IMG_20180623_130610507_HDR.jpg

Soon we turned right onto 19 to see some of the Ocala National forest. It was nice but we didn’t get off the Hwy to see anything. We hooked a left onto 40 to run into Ocala and go to the Triumph dealer there. My chain was a couple hundred miles overdue for some lube.

That crook quoted Mr. Munch $30 to spray may chain. I know they need to make a few bucks but that was a bit much. $8 later for a can of lube and Mr. Munch took care of me himself. :crash Now come on that was a $10 request if I have ever seen one.