Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Back on 441 we continued north through Micanopy. Payne’s Prairie Reserve is near there. We stopped at a look out and got Mr. Munches very first selfie. Isn’t he cute? :gdog

IMG_20180623_163708575.jpg

Here is me with an Alligator in the background. You can't really see him, but he's there.

DSCN2114.JPG

Here is a little information about the preserve.

IMG_20180623_162809221.jpg
  2. Heatery

Oddometer:
    At High Spings 441 turned into 27 toward Perry. We then hooked 19 into Tallahassee for the night. Now somewhere along the way we saw this place but I can’t place where we were. You don’t see these too often in Florida.

DSCN2116.JPG

We stayed the night in Tallahassee. The next morning it was bright and sunny. Mr. Munch was keen on getting home. A couple of problems occurred while we were gone and he wanted to get home to tend to them. He decided on IHOP or is it IHOB for breakfast. He wanted to try something new. Crepes. He said they should have been called Craps. Still a full belly is a full belly. Homeward bound on 90 W.

IMG_20180624_101742250.jpg

Here is an interesting mural we found in Quincy. Not much to say other than we like Murals.

DSCN2119.JPG
  3. Heatery

Oddometer:
    In Marianna we saw this interesting building. I wonder what it’s history is. It may be a noble place now but, I wonder. Great looking architecture either way.

DSCN2122.JPG

We took 90 West all the way to Loxley Alabama. Where 90 meets 59 in Robertsdale you will see this neat little display. I think it shows great small town life and patriotism. Mr. Munch is always in awe of patriotism.

DSCN2124.JPG

On this trip we learned that if you are under a time frame you can't really appreciate the things you run across while on the road. I ran so long and hard I barely have the words to fully express what we saw on the trip. If you don't slow down and smell the roses, you will be hard pressed to remember what they smell like. Hopefully we will learn from this and allow more time on the next trip. We lived a little but we could have lived a lot more.

Well that’s it for this trip. We hope to see you out there.

Love Gretchen,
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff as always. Sorry to hear about Bella's "seat cover".:(
    Heatery likes this.
  5. ben480

ben480 n00b

Oddometer:
    enjoying your ride reports....you passed right through my town....Eustis, Florida.
    Heatery likes this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    441 through Micanopy and you didn't stop at Pearl Country Store and BBQ??????? Shame on you. Best eats in the whole area. Sorry for your loss of Bella's seat cover. I know your spouse will miss her greatly.
    Heatery likes this.
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report! :ricky

Eric
    Heatery likes this.
  8. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Another entertaining report, thanks. How many miles was the round trip?
    Heatery likes this.
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:

Almost 30 hours over 4 days of saddle time to go 1200 miles. I thought i was not wasting time. Traffic and all those damn roses i have to smell i guess. :rofl
    IMG_20180624_183854700.jpg
    eaglescan likes this.
  10. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Just another reason to go back.
    B10Dave likes this.
  11. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey friendlies. It’s me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week we only visited one place, since we were only riding local. A friend of ours suggested we visit, since we liked to see interesting local art work.

Our day began as good as it gets, with a nice ride to Cycle Gear. :wings I love that place. It's always a new gadget for me. Mr. Munch likes to be reminded that he is never alone when riding. Check out this pic he took of us on the way. It’s never just him, it's always us. Here’s the proof.

DSCN2125.JPG
  12. Heatery

Oddometer:
    You see, Mr. Munch has been neglecting my chain maintenance. :dirtdog Oh sure, he is doing the lubrication, but what good is that if you leave a bunch of grit and dirt on my chain? He got tired of hearing me complain, so it prompted this trip. He picked up a chain brush and cleaner. After chatting with another customer for a while it was time for lunch. Now life has been a bit unfair to Mr. Munch recently, so lunch was a compromise. Here is how you save dollars at McAlister’s restaurant. You only buy what you really wanted. Tea and cake. :dukegirl

RAINED OUT WEEKEND BEFORE.jpg

After lunch we headed out for the US Sports Academy in Daphne Alabama. There, they give students the education and degree’s necessary to work in the world of sports. Neither Mr. Munch nor myself are much into team sports, so that is about all I can tell you about the place. However, they do have some great artwork.

It was difficult to get me in the pictures since the artwork was not near the parking areas. :( Here is the piece directly in the front of the facility. You can see this one from the highway.

DSCN2138.JPG

Now, don’t worry if you’re not a baseball fan. No judgment here. What do we care if you don't like AMERICA'S past time. :nono :fitz Just kidding. We have something for most everyone. If basketball is your thing, check out the height on this guy.

DSCN2128.JPG

Whoo. Look I got in that pic.
  13. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Maybe you are into something more contact oriented. This QB is getting pummeled, but he got the pass off.

DSCN2134.JPG

Now here is one I can understand and appreciate. All they need is a Triumph motor and they will be on the right path. I like how they portrayed the sport from everyone’s perspective. Now that is inclusive.

DSCN2131.JPG

Well, almost everyone. I guess they forgot Mt. Biking. It's still cool though. :0-0
    B10Dave, Clampett, NxtGoRnd and 3 others like this.
  14. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Now, this one has worldwide fame. You really must admire the ones that can do this. You talk about talent. Now this is talent, and not just the artist.

Strength, grace, concentration, and practice, practice, practice.

DSCN2136.JPG

This is Alabama. You know, we must pay attention to the only sport that doesn’t make you sweat. At least not visibly. This is a really neat way to express this piece of art. Although, if you look at it just right it is also a bit creepy. :grim

DSCN2130.JPG

From this angle you can imagine the creepy.

DSCN2129.JPG

It was really neat looking at all of these. Mr. Munch just loves to appreciate local art. It’s things like this that make the world interesting. It's things like this that make exploring exciting. It's things like this that make you say........This world amazes me.

Until next time.

We hope to see you out there.

Gretchen,
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd, fryloc and 5 others like this.
  15. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gretchen is starting to make my bikes jealous. They've been neglected due to my fear of melting in this heat down here lately.
    klaviator and Heatery like this.
  16. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Don't I know it. I am almost wiped by noon.

Mr. Munch.
    klaviator and gulfcoaster like this.
  17. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. Mr. Munch a lot here. This week i had to say goodbye to Bella. As i have said before, i owe her a lot for giving me my confindence back. Secretly, i was hoping i asked too much for her. I guess someone else loves her as much as i did. Bye Bella. Good luck out there, and as always, we hope to see you out there.

Love,
    Mr. Munch

IMG_20180324_130111652.jpg
    fryloc, bnsutton, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark my words. One of these days you'll be back on a scooter!
    Clampett and Heatery like this.
  19. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Already planning for it when the finances permit it.

Mr. Munch,
    gulfcoaster, zookster and klaviator like this.
  20. DresserCat

DresserCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :2cry Bye Bella
    Clampett likes this.