Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That spot with the flags in Robertsdale is where I was arrested for speeding.... 79 in a 30.....
  2. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    Did you trade her in for that red 944 in the background?
  3. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Gretchen here. It’s been a while since I last checked in. Mr. Munch has been busy and less than motivated due to the heat.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

Well, we went out last weekend. He wanted to make another trip to New Orleans. This time to go as far south as you can drive in Louisiana.

The trip started out pretty boring with a slab trip from Mobile to New Orleans. Mrs. Munch was rather chatty and Mr. Munch was more than happy to return the favor. Tick – tock Mr. Munch.

We decided to stay on the east side of the Mississippi at a state park called, St. Bernard State park. It was small, but it had decent facilities. Not that he used any. We got there at around 1630 hrs and he set up the hammock and bug net. Then we hopped into the French Quarter to cruise around and wait for sundown, hoping the skeeters would be less violent.

We cruised around looking at the “scenery” until it was close to dark then Mr. Munch decided he was hot and hungry. That put us in search for a nice restaurant with good A/C.

After about an hour we found a good spot.

IMG_20181005_192540711.jpg

I know, I know. We are at the birthplace of Cajun food and what do we eat? McDonalds!!! Don’t judge too harshly, it was the only place that didn’t look like food poisoning, had A/C, and safe lighted parking for me. After dinner it was time to head to the campground.

Darkness didn’t slow the savagery of the skeeters one bit. It was funny watching Mr. Munch try to get into the hammock. He was in such a hurry he missed the hammock and fell right onto his back, in boggy ground, three times in a row. You would think that he has never used one. Hot, sweaty, and now muddy I heard enough to know he had spent time with sailors.

Through the night the skeeters were flying inches away from his ears and he barely got any sleep at all. He told me, “I am buying a tent. I don’t think I am a summer time hammock person. At least not on the coast.”

Even while packing up in the morning he was being eaten alive. He didn’t even bother to pack the equipment he just stuffed it in the saddle bag and off we went. Breakfast was much better at an old standby. Waffle House. Renewed spirit and cooled off some Mr. Munch was ready to head south.

Here is the first interesting thing we came across. These were placed in front of a diving business. The sign wasn’t very descriptive of the work they do but, we have never seen a diving bell before.

IMG_20181006_145843973.jpg

IMG_20181006_145952950.jpg
  4. Heatery

Oddometer:
    After a few cool pics and a quick daydream of the life in a dive bell we moved on. Soon we came upon this.

IMG_20181006_145446506_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_145305517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_145300698_HDR.jpg

They are levy doors. They cross the Highway and the railroad to block the water during a storm. Pretty impressive.

IMG_20181006_145111559_HDR.jpg
  5. Heatery

Oddometer:
    You might be wondering about how they get it passed the guard rail. We did too. Upon closer inspection we saw that the guard rail had jacks on it. They lower wheels to the ground and they roll it away. Cool huh?

IMG_20181006_145431171.jpg

Ever wonder what a refinery looks like? Wonder no more. Here is Phillips 66 Alliance refinery.

IMG_20181006_143849260.jpg

IMG_20181006_143519010.jpg
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Now highway 23 is a long road. It’s a four lane most of the way. To ensure we saw everything I convinced Mr. Munch to ride the entire thing at 35 MPH. Ok, that took a while. We even thought about staying another night at this cool motel. Two rooms per building. Pretty cool idea.

IMG_20181006_135559363.jpg

A little further on and we found a good place to look around. This is a levy. This highway is lined on both sides with this the entire way.

IMG_20181006_134407073.jpg

IMG_20181006_134425170.jpg
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    And what is on the other side of a levy you ask? Well, it’s water silly.

IMG_20181006_134549590_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_134540034.jpg

That mystery solved it was time to go back in…..well, time. This is Fort Jackson. It was built between 1822 and 1832. The park was closed and appears to have been for quite some time, but you can still walk around the outside of it. I can only imagine the skeeters they had there.

IMG_20181006_132652654.jpg

IMG_20181006_132543000_HDR.jpg
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:
    We were really surprised at how many homes, nice ones at that, were built on the slab. One good storm and gone. Almost at the end of the road now. Here is a nice pic of some trees. You know Mr. Munch likes trees that grow in the water.

IMG_20181006_121301289_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_121312995_HDR.jpg
  10. Heatery

Oddometer:
    We found what they are kidnapping all those shrimp with. Wow, if it was illegal to kidnap shrimp we would have found the mother load.

IMG_20181006_115113747_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181006_115103959_HDR.jpg

Well I guess that is the end of the road.

IMG_20181006_111843431.jpg
  11. Heatery

Oddometer:
    That’s funny. You thought that a little water was going to stop me. Well, it didn’t. We went right on through. A gate, that however, is a whole other ball of wax.

IMG_20181006_113255925.jpg

IMG_20181006_113317837.jpg

The road did stretch on for another 100 yards or so but, it was company land. So, our journey ends here. Well almost. On the way home. We did have to deal with this. You would think that made Mr. Munch angry. In truth, he needed the rest.

IMG_20181006_180423796_HDR.jpg

Until next time, we hope to see you out there.

Love

Gretchen,
  12. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Glad you are back, taking the good pictures and doing the entertaining writeup.
    Heatery likes this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been a month and a half. I'll bet Bella wouldn't have let you go this long between rides:D
  14. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Been riding just nowhere that inspires me to write. I was out of the game for about a month after my trip to new Orleans. Man i caught some killer bug there. No energy and lots of back pain.
    Anyway, all better now but i had to use some vacation and my wife wouldn't let me bring ol Gretch. Totally bummed. We are in your neck of the woods in Mentone this week. Great riding i am missing out on. At least its raining. Thats some consultation.
    Spicciani2 likes this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess we all get sick and/or have slumps. Glad you are better and hope you get out on a good ride in the not too distant future.
    Heatery likes this.
  16. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper

Oddometer:
    Heatery likes this.
  17. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Mr munch a lot here.

Well for all of you ducking weather here is just a little update. I put Rox risers and some Hippo Hands on my bike. The weather didn't call for the Hippo hands but i wanted to try them out.

Weather was 60 degrees. Just cold enough to use heated grips. Of course with the hippo hands i didn't need the heat. They blocked the wind very nicely. I am not sure i could use them into the teens with summer gloves, but i can definitely get into the 40s. With heat maybe lower. Winters coming so I will update when it gets cold. For sure they will help keep your hands dry. That extends riding for sure.

The Rox risers. Absolutely the best purchase i have made yet . :wingsGretchen isn't vibey, but i purchased the anti vibe version anyway. I am not sure that was worth it, but the position change absolutely was.

Installation of the risers was pretty straight forward. Be fore warned. After a few miles you will notice you installed them a little crooked. No worries. It was easy to adjust on the run

The change in position made it possible to sit up straiter and made 99% of the dead hands go away. :grim Did i say it was the best money i have spent yet?:happay
    The new position gave me a better more stable feel. We all know what that means. More confidence on a heavy bike. Gretchen is sure thankful for that.

So here is the long awaited picture of hot hands on a Tiger 800.
    IMG_20181207_152341030_HDR.jpg

Not to mention the Rox risers on a Tiger 800.

IMG_20181207_152353130_HDR.jpg

Sorry for not putting the usual intro pic on the post. I don't have that on my phone .

Until next time

We hope to see you out there.

Mr. Munch and Gretchen,
  18. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last Ride of the Year at Stagecoach cafe in Stockton on the 29th. Might make a good ride to really test out the Hippo Hands!

And yes the risers can make all the difference in the world. Sure did on my big bike.
    Heatery likes this.
  19. Heatery

Oddometer:

Count me in if it doesn't rain. I can do rain, i can do cold. I avoid both at the same time like the plague.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  20. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hippo hands update.

I write all this because when i searched for info there wasn't much to be found. I found it hard to believe that you could ride into the teens with summer gloves. So, here is more information.

Overcast, breezy and between 45 and 49 degrees all afternoon. Using my summer gloves and my grip heaters, here is what i found.
    At 49 i could run comfortable with my heaters on low. They do have a little airflow so my thumbs feel a little chilly. I was running at 55 mph for at least 30 minutes while getting to town. Plenty of time to get uncomfortable.
    On the way home it dropped to 45. Only a couple of degrees, but i had to turn the heaters up to medium.
    I think with heat on high i could handle 30's for short commutes. We'll see.
    Better yet. If i use reasonably insulated gloves i feel i can ride very comfortable in the 30's. I will update when it gets that cold, if it isn't raining.

Mr. Munch and Gretchen,
    We hope to see you our there.