Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have to look into something like that. Keeping my hands warm is the hardest thing for me to do on a cold ride.
  2. mglsite

mglsite Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A funny (sad) story about those impressive doors. The first time they went to close them for a storm, they fell off of the hinges. You just gotta luv government work with brother in laws thrown into the mix.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Hey all. It's Gretchen again.

Friday Mr. Munch took me to get my 6K checkup. Mr. Munch must be getting tougher. I didn't hear him complain once. I thought the weather would get him. It was 43 when we left and very breezy.

IMG_20181221_080625874_HDR.jpg

109 miles until the service is due. Roughly 60 to the doc. Mr. Munch planned it just right. We even left two hours early just in case he got cold. Well, he never got cold. Those hippo hands worked very well. 43, no sun, lots of wind and wearing summer gloves. He still only used the low setting on the grip heaters. Although, I am not sure if he is tough or not. You decide.........:gyro

IMG_20181221_080647331_HDR.jpg

His pudgyness really shows when he is bundled up. I still like him. He's my sweetie:rogue

Taking the extra time paid off. Almost 10 miles down the road, we ran across this.

IMG_20181221_081507990_HDR.jpg

Well, there was nothing we could do but turn around. Good thing we left early. The rest of the ride was smooth and enjoyable. :clap

After my clean bill of health, I bet you can't figure out what we did next. Thats right, you guessed it. I don't call him Mr. Munch for nothing. We hadn't been for Irish in a while, so Irish it was. It wasn't mornging, so what do you say when you can't say "Top of the mornin' to you"?

20181221_141543.jpg

Well, that is all for this week. Hopefully, money, weather, and inspiration holds out so we can bring you more "Adventures of Mr. Munch"

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.
    Gretchen,
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this thread! I grew up in the rival state of Georgia and never thought I would want to live in 'Bama. How wrong I was. I had a blast in the 1980s tubing down the Coldwater River, cooling down at the Floribama, going to the drag races at Atmore, kissing the Moose at McGuire's and many other things in your thread. Thank you for bringing back those memories.
    gulfcoaster, Heatery and Clampett like this.
  5. Heatery

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for reading. Hope to see you here again.
    Gretchen,
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey all. It's me Gretchen.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week Mr. Munch and I had a little fun. It was a torturous trip, but we managed Ok. :ricky

Mr. Munch decided, since the sun was finally going to make a show for a couple of days, it was time to go camping and try out some gear.

Now Mr. Munch has a bunch of hodge podge gear, put together from years of mis information, crappy products, the ocassional, that looks cool and the inevitable, I wish I had one of these. :baldy You all know. You have been there too.

Well, you know what that means. I have to carry a decade full of all that crap to the campground, so he can play Mr. Review Master. :dirtdog Not much fun for me. Oh well, at least it will be a nice ride with my sweetie.

OMG!!! I am not going out looking like that! NOOooo way. No how.:hair So, I'm a junk hauler now.

20190106_113331.jpg

I mean realy one man, one night.:baldy

Finally, after tying, shoving, stuffing and manuevering we were off. What a beautiful sunny day. We are going to ride all ...........

You have to be kidding me? 15 miles! All right. We have been on a couple good adventures. I'll cut him a break. After all, this trip is not really about the ride. :2cry:(
    klaviator, gulfcoaster and zookster like this.
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    He took me to a nice campground near home base. Blakely State Park. It is a neat civil war site. Here is some of the fort stuff for you guys who like that sort of thing.

20190105_143513.jpg

20190105_143547.jpg

20190105_143538.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Munch have been here a few times. They enjoyed the history. There are plenty of signs and markers to tell the story as you go through the park. Some of the battlefield lines are still visible. It gives someone, with a good imagination, a front row seat to the tensions of the day. Worth a look.
    klaviator and gulfcoaster like this.
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
    So, you might be wondering about the camping situation. From the pic it's simple enough, but I'll give a few details.

Here is the campsite after setup. Pay attention to how he turned me into a closet. Thanks man. Get that crap off of me. :nono 20190105_141836.jpg

Notice, he put up a hammock and a tent. It was supposed to get into the low to mid 40's and he wanted to see how the underquilt would work.

If you remember from our last trip he had a few problems getting in the hammock. :gerg :loco or :beer, I will let you decide. Either way, falling out of the hammock, three times, into the mud..... I was waiting for a show.:lol3

Also, he brought a $200 wool Pendleton camp blanket, and a heavy sleeping bag.

The intension was to see how low temps had to be before the blanket wouldn't cut it.

He started out in the hammock. The sun was down, he had a belly full of pizza and Yeungling. Mostly pizza. Remember he has a job that requires driving.

Too bad. He got in it with no drama this time. :ksteve He spent the evening browzing ADVRIDER and talking to Mrs. Munch on the phone. It was around 50 degrees when he was too tired and decided to go to bed.

In the tent he stripped down to just his summer under armour. He slept on a extra thick closed cell foam pad and used his wool blanket. Other than forgetting to bring a beanie for his head, all was well. The blanket held up well until the mid to lower 40's. At that point he had to add the sleeping bag.

Now, the bag was very warm, but I have to say it took up almost all the realestate on my seat. Look at the pic. There was almost no room for Mr. Munch. Given we are not extreme campers, I think he should look into a camp quilt. Those have some good loft and pack quite small.

In the morning, he pulled out his Kelly kettle. He loves the idea of that thing. Small fire with good boiling/ cooking power. Everthing was just too wet. He has an MSR Dragonfly that he uses for work, but he doesn't like messing with the fuel. That leads us to the end of our trip.

Cracker Barrel. Always a good choice. He had a wonderful breakfast to wrap up a cold night. And wouldn't you know it. After 47 years, now he likes vanilla ice cream. I am taking him down a lot of new roads.

20190106_102414.jpg

Well, that's about all for now. I hope you enjoyed this episode of Mr. Munches mishaps.

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Gretchen,
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Gretchen here.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

Just a short update today. Mr. Munches personal life has been a bit busy so, we haven't been able to ride a lot. We did take a short trip to Pensacola. He had to make sure his pearly whites were still pearly.

The trip started out around 43 F. Another good chance to get some use of the Hippo Hands. We took a new track this time. We lollygagged up to Flomaton and down 29 to Pensacola. Along the way there was only one interesting thing. No worries, he did snap a pick. He fiddled with his phone so much he dropped it in the loose sand. I wonder if water wheel works?

20190121_121435.jpg

They went through the trouble of running a rain gutter to it. It must work right?

Anyway, coming home I showed Mr. Munch how much I cared about him. He was really suprised when he saw it.

20190121_184806.jpg

Check out that caution. See I care.
    :rogue

The temp shows 41 F. My engine warmed up the sensor while he was fiddling with the camera. It was actually 36 F.

That brings us to the Hippo Hands. Notice that the grip heater was only on level one. He told me his hands were a bit chilly on the backside of his thumbs. Even though the wind was greatly diminished by the hippo hands, there is still some air flow. That being said, he mentioned that he didn't loose any dexterity or movement due to the cold, and we were riding for about 2 hours straight. That is a pretty good endorsement for those Hippo Hands. If your looking to increase your riding season, they are money well spent. Since I am already sexy with my handguards, they don't detract from my looks at all. At least, Mr Munch still thinks I am sexy with them.

Well that's about all I have for now. Hopefully we will get to make more runs soon.

Rain, rain, go away. Come back some other day.

Until next time, we hope to see you out there.

Love
    Gretchen,
    EZMoney, B10Dave, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  10. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey all it's Grethchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week Mr. Munch and I got a wee bit more excitement than was planned. Sunday was supposed to be a nice day, but it turned out to be overcast and cold. :dirtdog Why can't those guys get it right.

Because of the cold Mr. Munch made me wait until almost noon. I guess he was feeling a bit :gerg.

We decided to take a route suggested by one of his coworkers. It was a nice country road just shy of Atmore. It is a community called Nokomis. Pineville Rd starts off paved but quickly turns to dirt. It's maintained so it was a pleasant ride with some nice farmland to look at. Plenty of logging land as well.

Our first pic comes almost at the end of Pineville Rd.

Bushy Creek.jpg

Brushy Creek. It's only paved 50' before and after the bridge.

Leaving this area and heading south into Florida we went down Barineau Park Rd. Mr. Munch has been here with Bella but not me, so I had to have my pic. Check out this cedar tree at Fillingham Landing. The landing is a canoe landing. It is well set up.

Filingham landing.jpg

Now the landing.

20190127_133851.jpg
    klaviator and gulfcoaster like this.
  11. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Now here is where things start to get a little dicy. It is short on pics, but I think you will forgive him since he almost killed me.

Next we headed down to the Pipes Canoe landing. This is down old Bridge Rd. It deadends at a two track that leads to the landing. You need a 4x4 or.......me to get there. Recall, on a previous trip I came here with him. The road was washed out, but we went through anyway. It turned out to be a nice place for him to hammock in the sun. This time, well let's just say it wasn't the same. Here is a pick on our way back out.

20190127_141635.jpg

Yep, you heard that right. I had to do this twice. It's a dead end road remember? Thinking it may only be a few inches higher than last time, he might get his boots wet. Ok, let me just say for the record. If he hadn't been working out lateley I would have drowned. When it got deep, 3 feet deep, it was too late to turn around even if I wanted to. The bottom was full of very large grapefruit size gravel to keep it from washing away. Because we had to go so slow, I hit a rock just right and I stalled. When I stalled and came to an abrupt stop, Mr. Munch almost dropped me. I choked on some water and I was scared. :(::(::(: Even Triumphs can't breath under water. I gave it all I had and fired back up. I spit and sputtered, but I pulled us out of that river. If you think I was worried? You should have seen Mr. Munch. The sun would be down in an hour or so, he was soaked up to his hips, it was 50 F outside and we were 30 miles from home. Now, you riders know 50 F at 55 MPH is not 50 F. When your soaked and your boots are full of water, it's 50 f**k. :grim:grim He knew we had to go back through that. After warning off the truck in the pic, we went back through. This time, I sucked a bit of water, but I didn't quit. I was running a bit under the weather for the next few miles though :sick:puke2.

Mr. Munch was a trooper. He babied me until I was feeling better, then we scooted. By the time I got him home he was in pain due to the cold. His boots were still holding water. You know waterproof boots hold water just as well as they keep it out.

After he stripped, he took a shower and prompty came out to oil my chain and check me over. :raabia:rogue You got to love a guy like that. Well, I hope you enjoyed this weeks Adventures of Mr. Munch I know we did.

We hope to see you out there.
    Love, Gretchen.
    EZMoney, B10Dave, eaglescan and 3 others like this.
  12. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Well that was a great tale, of course I believe you, you got pictures. How is your oil? Any white stuff on the dipstick, that might mean water in the oil. cheers
  13. Heatery

Oddometer:
    I took a look in the sight glass. It looked clean. Now that Gratchen has been resting a few days, maybe I should investigate a little better. Hopefully, we are good.

Mr. Munch,
    bnsutton and eaglescan like this.
  14. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey all. It me, Gretchen again. Welcome to the next installment in the adventures of Mr. Munch.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week was beautiful and we went someplace new and visited some old favorites. Mr. Munch even came out early to fire me up.

Our first destination was Evergreen Alabama. Straight up Hwy 31 to Atmore, Flomaton, Brewton, Castleberry, then Evergreen.

Just trying to get to 31 the path was blocked.

20190224_082059.jpg

Not the end of the world. Who doesn't like trains. The graffiti is sometimes quite good.

Once on 31 we held a nice pace of about 45 MPH. It was fast enough to beat the train to the next town, Atmore.

20190224_085539.jpg
  15. Heatery

Oddometer:
    We Mr. Munch was hoping we could hop the train and play hobo for a while. The train engineer, I guess he had other plans.

20190224_090818.jpg

He didn't even stop. How rude. We were waiting at the station and everything.:(

Oh well. I told Mr. Munch if he wanted breakfast in Evergreen he better quit fartin around. That perked his ears. He jumped on and I tore off like ..........Well, we rode out.:dukegirl

Flomaton, Brewton, and Castleberry didn't offer anything new, so it was on to Evergreen. He really wanted to get to Shoney's for the buffet.

20190224_110153.jpg

We should have left earlier. They were just about to start lunch and it wasn't really fresh. Oh well. Full belly. It was time to move on. I wanted to go somewhere new, so I talked him into a town called Burnt Corn. I wanted to see if there was any Corn burnin' goin on. :rofl On the way Mr. Munch wanted to stop at Bookers Mill. He went there with Bella, but I wanted a couple of pics too.

20190224_120233.jpg

This is in front of the General Store. Great pic isn't it?
  16. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of the dam with a newly built bridge. The dam wasn't fixed when Bella was here. Plus the water was much lower. This turned out nice.

20190224_120219.jpg

Mr. Munch (even though he's an Atheist) wanted to sign the log book at the church to say thanks for making this wonderful place. The church really is neat.

20190224_115651.jpg

It was time to move on to Burnt Corn. Along the way, we found this road sign that is a little out of place in rural Alabama.

20190224_114722.jpg

Hopeful, we followed it. It didn't take us to China.:dirtdog

Burnt Corn at last. Wow, what a throw back. It's mostly abandoned now but, you can see the charm this small town once had. Here is what I am told is the oldest post office in Alabama. I am not sure that is true, but it does bring back nostalgic feelings.

20190224_122834.jpg
    B10Dave, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 3 others like this.
  17. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Here is a couple of the other building in town.

20190224_122912.jpg

Mr. Munch got curious enough to look inside the post office. What a surprise!!! It's an old general store.

20190224_123131.jpg

Figuring we snooped around this rural town long enough, we moved on.

Next we rode into a small town called Peterman. There we found an 18 wheeler graveyard.

20190224_124945.jpg

We also found the train station for the town. Mr. Munch loves trains as much as he loved trees that grow in the water, and murals and.........You get the idea. He loves lot's of things.

20190224_124929.jpg
    B10Dave, zookster, rascalman and 2 others like this.
  18. Heatery

Oddometer:
    The next few pics I couldn't be in. Under penalty of piss poor manners. You should know by now. If nothing else, Mr. Munch has manners and respect. So, here I stay.

20190224_125803.jpg

The town maintains this neat breezeway cabin. I wonder, if I hint at the idea of building one of these, can I get rid of Mrs. Munch and move in with Mr. Munch:sweeti:evil:turkish

20190224_125308.jpg

I love breezeway houses.

20190224_125335.jpg
    NxtGoRnd, rascalman and EZMoney like this.
  19. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Here is what it looks like on the inside of each side of the house.

Left side

20190224_125429.jpg

Right side

20190224_125410.jpg

There is a separate kitchen in the back, but he couldn't get a pic of the inside.

20190224_125701.jpg
    B10Dave, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 2 others like this.
  20. Heatery

Oddometer:
    After living in the land of nostalgia, it was time to move on.

We rolled through Monroeville. There was nothing new that Bella didn't cover, so we didn't stop.

We did stop at a small town called Frisco City. Mr. Munch has been through here many times, but he has never stopped to appreciate. With sunny skies and warm breezes, today was a good day.

Here is the towns first jail.

20190224_133726.jpg

Could you imagine being in that in 90 degree heat?

Here is the inside.

20190224_133714.jpg

Again the ground was too wet, so I had to stay on the road.

I did get this neat little pic. It probably followed the guy that they built the jail for. :jack :lol3

20190224_133932.jpg

One last pic before we left town. Another one of the things Mr. Munch loves. Dedications to the men and women who made this nation great.

20190224_135833.jpg

Well, that's it for this time. Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Love
    Gretchen,
    B10Dave, zookster, eaglescan and 4 others like this.