Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have to look into something like that. Keeping my hands warm is the hardest thing for me to do on a cold ride.
  2. mglsite

mglsite Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A funny (sad) story about those impressive doors. The first time they went to close them for a storm, they fell off of the hinges. You just gotta luv government work with brother in laws thrown into the mix.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Hey all. It's Gretchen again.

Friday Mr. Munch took me to get my 6K checkup. Mr. Munch must be getting tougher. I didn't hear him complain once. I thought the weather would get him. It was 43 when we left and very breezy.

IMG_20181221_080625874_HDR.jpg

109 miles until the service is due. Roughly 60 to the doc. Mr. Munch planned it just right. We even left two hours early just in case he got cold. Well, he never got cold. Those hippo hands worked very well. 43, no sun, lots of wind and wearing summer gloves. He still only used the low setting on the grip heaters. Although, I am not sure if he is tough or not. You decide.........:gyro

IMG_20181221_080647331_HDR.jpg

His pudgyness really shows when he is bundled up. I still like him. He's my sweetie:rogue

Taking the extra time paid off. Almost 10 miles down the road, we ran across this.

IMG_20181221_081507990_HDR.jpg

Well, there was nothing we could do but turn around. Good thing we left early. The rest of the ride was smooth and enjoyable. :clap

After my clean bill of health, I bet you can't figure out what we did next. Thats right, you guessed it. I don't call him Mr. Munch for nothing. We hadn't been for Irish in a while, so Irish it was. It wasn't mornging, so what do you say when you can't say "Top of the mornin' to you"?

20181221_141543.jpg

Well, that is all for this week. Hopefully, money, weather, and inspiration holds out so we can bring you more "Adventures of Mr. Munch"

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.
    Gretchen,
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this thread! I grew up in the rival state of Georgia and never thought I would want to live in 'Bama. How wrong I was. I had a blast in the 1980s tubing down the Coldwater River, cooling down at the Floribama, going to the drag races at Atmore, kissing the Moose at McGuire's and many other things in your thread. Thank you for bringing back those memories.
    gulfcoaster, Heatery and Clampett like this.
  5. Heatery

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for reading. Hope to see you here again.
    Gretchen,
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey all. It's me Gretchen.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week Mr. Munch and I had a little fun. It was a torturous trip, but we managed Ok. :ricky

Mr. Munch decided, since the sun was finally going to make a show for a couple of days, it was time to go camping and try out some gear.

Now Mr. Munch has a bunch of hodge podge gear, put together from years of mis information, crappy products, the ocassional, that looks cool and the inevitable, I wish I had one of these. :baldy You all know. You have been there too.

Well, you know what that means. I have to carry a decade full of all that crap to the campground, so he can play Mr. Review Master. :dirtdog Not much fun for me. Oh well, at least it will be a nice ride with my sweetie.

OMG!!! I am not going out looking like that! NOOooo way. No how.:hair So, I'm a junk hauler now.

20190106_113331.jpg

I mean realy one man, one night.:baldy

Finally, after tying, shoving, stuffing and manuevering we were off. What a beautiful sunny day. We are going to ride all ...........

You have to be kidding me? 15 miles! All right. We have been on a couple good adventures. I'll cut him a break. After all, this trip is not really about the ride. :2cry:(
    klaviator, gulfcoaster and zookster like this.
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    He took me to a nice campground near home base. Blakely State Park. It is a neat civil war site. Here is some of the fort stuff for you guys who like that sort of thing.

20190105_143513.jpg

20190105_143547.jpg

20190105_143538.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Munch have been here a few times. They enjoyed the history. There are plenty of signs and markers to tell the story as you go through the park. Some of the battlefield lines are still visible. It gives someone, with a good imagination, a front row seat to the tensions of the day. Worth a look.
    klaviator and gulfcoaster like this.
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
    So, you might be wondering about the camping situation. From the pic it's simple enough, but I'll give a few details.

Here is the campsite after setup. Pay attention to how he turned me into a closet. Thanks man. Get that crap off of me. :nono 20190105_141836.jpg

Notice, he put up a hammock and a tent. It was supposed to get into the low to mid 40's and he wanted to see how the underquilt would work.

If you remember from our last trip he had a few problems getting in the hammock. :gerg :loco or :beer, I will let you decide. Either way, falling out of the hammock, three times, into the mud..... I was waiting for a show.:lol3

Also, he brought a $200 wool Pendleton camp blanket, and a heavy sleeping bag.

The intension was to see how low temps had to be before the blanket wouldn't cut it.

He started out in the hammock. The sun was down, he had a belly full of pizza and Yeungling. Mostly pizza. Remember he has a job that requires driving.

Too bad. He got in it with no drama this time. :ksteve He spent the evening browzing ADVRIDER and talking to Mrs. Munch on the phone. It was around 50 degrees when he was too tired and decided to go to bed.

In the tent he stripped down to just his summer under armour. He slept on a extra thick closed cell foam pad and used his wool blanket. Other than forgetting to bring a beanie for his head, all was well. The blanket held up well until the mid to lower 40's. At that point he had to add the sleeping bag.

Now, the bag was very warm, but I have to say it took up almost all the realestate on my seat. Look at the pic. There was almost no room for Mr. Munch. Given we are not extreme campers, I think he should look into a camp quilt. Those have some good loft and pack quite small.

In the morning, he pulled out his Kelly kettle. He loves the idea of that thing. Small fire with good boiling/ cooking power. Everthing was just too wet. He has an MSR Dragonfly that he uses for work, but he doesn't like messing with the fuel. That leads us to the end of our trip.

Cracker Barrel. Always a good choice. He had a wonderful breakfast to wrap up a cold night. And wouldn't you know it. After 47 years, now he likes vanilla ice cream. I am taking him down a lot of new roads.

20190106_102414.jpg

Well, that's about all for now. I hope you enjoyed this episode of Mr. Munches mishaps.

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Gretchen,