Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 129drifter

129drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me about that hotel with two rooms per building along Hwy 23? Where is located? Name of it? Thanks for any info or tips advice etc .... I am thinking about riding down that way just to plunder around at some point in the near future. (no fishing, just exploring)
  2. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    The name of the hotel is the Empire Inn hotel. We didnt stay there, but it was tempting to extend my trip so I could. The online pics look nice and the exterior was well kept from what I saw. Prices look to be around 85 per night.

If you visit the fort, take bug spray. Also, there are not many places to eat. There is a local place near where they park to go to the gas rigs. You eat outside but it's a decent place to get a sandwich.
    I hope that helps. Have a good time out there.

Mr. Munch,
  3. Heatery

Oddometer:
    I found the sandwich shop online. It's called Maws sandwich shop. It's about a mile or so south of PHI boothville. PHI Is a large parking lot from the road, but it is a helicopter port for rig workers.

Mr. Munch,
  4. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper

Oddometer:
    I'm from that area and there are several places to eat down in Buras, Empire and Venice. You have to get on the old road, HWY 11. In Buras there is The Black Velvet restaurant, the China Sea and another Vietnamese one. In Empire there is Dad's Place. Right next to the Black Velvet is a Bed and Breakfast called Patty's Place. At the Buras Boat Harbor there are Joshua's cabins, you might also get a room at Blaze's Blast and Cast. He is a charter fisherman who has a small lodge in Buras. Down in Venice there is the Light House Inn, Venice Inn and the Cypress Cover Marina motel and the River Side Restaurant. Give me a shout if you head that way.
    Heatery likes this.
  5. 129drifter

129drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the info! A couple buds and I might be headed over that way from the Florida panhandle sometime this year (not during the hottest months of the summer).
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hey friends. It's me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (3)_LI.jpg

This week I took Mr. Munch to an old favorite. He likes the beach and it was a warm and windy day. What better time to go to the beach and see the effect (or is it affect) the wind has on the waves.

We putted down Hwy 225 from Bay Minette to Spanish Fort. It was a nice ride. We even got to ride 10 under the limit most of the way. 45 MPH is the desired speed for Mr. Munch. He likes having his visor open.

In Spanish Fort we hopped on 90 to cross the Mobile Bay. Mr. Munch wanted to get a shot of downtown Mobile, so we pulled into the road that goes by Austal ship buidling. It's not a perfect pic, but hey it's Mobile.

20190309_091336.jpg

We continued on Hwy 90 through Mobile all the way to Tillmans corner. From there we took a turn and jumped on 193 south to Dauphin Island. :jkam:wings

Well, you know Mr. Munch. He drinks too much tea. Guess what he had to do. It gave us the perfect opportunity to stop off a the Bay Front park before the bridge. It is just after 188. The sign is small, so don't miss it. It's usually quiet there and a great place to contemplate the cosmos.:norton:hmmmmm

20190309_103027.jpg

I was very relaxed sitting in the warm sun, just patiently waiting for my fun guy to recharge.

After a good hour or so, it was time to go. We hit the road again and headed to the island. Then came this.......

20190309_105048.jpg

A temporary red light in the middle of the bridge. :dirtdog Nothing like interrupting a little beach time. Mr. Munch likes to watch boats and bikini's. No bikini's, but I did meet a couple of sexy dudes. :sweeti:crash
    klaviator, zookster and Zapgarou like this.
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Mr. Munch even took some pictures of them, so I could keep that moment for ever. Two sexy uniformed guys. I was in heaven.

20190309_130751.jpg

A sexy Royal Enfield on my left. I am not sure the where the other guy was from. They were there for living history days at the fort. More on that in a minute.

First some nice shots of the ocean.

20190309_112840.jpg

Fort Gains. I was there just in the background.

20190309_113709.jpg

Mr. Munch got poo pooed by someone for not getting a clear enough shot of the historical markers before. Hope you can read this one. Just in case here is the panel.

20190309_113635.jpg
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Mr. Munch has been to Fort Gaines with Bella, hopefully we don't bore you too much. To start off the show, here are some better shots of those handsome fellas. :drif:raabia

20190309_122100.jpg

This gentelman was a little older with a few more battle scars, but hubba, hubba.

20190309_122024.jpg

Here is a shot of his better side.

20190309_122011.jpg

Sure, one guy is British, not sure about the other guy with the side car. What I can tell you is, I am glad they were there. The rest of the camp was full of WWII German troops. Not sure why he didn't get pics of them. Sorry. :stupid

You might be wondering why WWII troops were adorned at the fort. Well, it turns out the fort was inhabited by the military up through WWI and WWII. Although, not by German Nazi's, thankfully. Cool.
    Dumb ol' Mr. Munch was having so much fun he forgot to share it with you. However, true to form he did get a pic of the original bakery.

20190309_121252.jpg
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:
    The German Troops had some basic living in camp items set up for display and even set up a nice communications station, complete with a moc WWII era short wave radio. No one plays that kind of music any more, so it had to be a moc setup. Still they had the desk area all displayed as if an officer was there running the camp, and communications. It was cool. Again, sorry Mr. Munch didn't think of you guys. :asshat

Tour of the museum over he came back out to me and reminded me, we had to cruise to the other side of the island. At the welcome center they were having a little concert, bluegrass style.

20190309_133733.jpg

Each member took turns and sang their favorite songs. The rest accompanied the singer. Some were good, some were not so good. Age has a way of doing that to you. Either way, the house was packed and fun was had by all.

I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Adventures of Mr. Munch.

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Love
    Gretchen,
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd, klaviator and 4 others like this.