1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Lower Alabama (LA)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Heatery, Aug 1, 2017.

1. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode that area a few years ago. It really is beautiful.
    Really was a nice change to see that much undeveloped beach front.
    We don't have that in South Florida.
    [​IMG]
    Heatery likes this.
  2. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    I moved to Pensacola in 1975, that Alien house was on the beach then. It is a local landmark for sure! It's been there since the 60's I think.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is more!
    https://thefuturohouse.com
    Heatery and zookster like this.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, glad you are back ridin' . Must say I like your wit, good for a few laughs. Nice pictures too.
    Heatery likes this.
  5. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment eaglescan. Im very glad to be riding again. It's good to know that people enjoy it.

Mr. Munch
  6. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Sometimes, Gretchen is just a means to an end. Thanks for being there Gretch.

20191110_135635.jpg
    EZMoney, Samspade, zookster and 4 others like this.
  7. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Hello friends. It's me Gretchen again.

tiger 4 (2)_LI.jpg

I finally got Mr. Munch to go somewhere other than window shopping. He has been pretty unmotivated lately.

It was a nice day, so I talked him into going to Barbers Marina.

You've seen all this before with Bella, but it's much prettier with me in it. Plus, we found a new sculpture.

Here is the T-Rex. He's not mad or hungry. He was laughing when I asked him how to ask a Dinosaur to lunch. He said................ Tea Rex?

20200119_132417.jpg

I met the nicest Brontosaurus. Look at that smirk. He just let loose an SBD. My engine quit due to lack of oxygen.

20200119_131355.jpg
  8. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Next, I met a Stegosaurus. She was nice, but just like dogs. She kept sniffing me.

20200119_131911.jpg

The Triceratops just ignored me, like a cow in the field.

20200119_132100.jpg

Now this one really made my paint crawl. Thankfully, they wouldn't let us to close to it.

20200119_130536.jpg
  9. Heatery

Oddometer:
    To round out our day I wanted my pic with the fountain. It is very nice. I am told that it was shipped in from Italy. I don't know, but they do love their ponies.

20200119_130835.jpg

Well, it was a short day, but I had fun. I hope you did too.

Until next time. We hope to see you out there.

Love,
    Gretchen
  10. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Mr. Munch here. Just a quick one today. While getting some C 19 therapy, I ran across a mural I have never seen. Too bad I couldn't stop for coffee.

20200426_100148.jpg
    EZMoney, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  11. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see a paper box there, Will we ever be able to open things like that again ,without fear!
    Heatery likes this.
  12. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Mr. Munch again. Today I thought I would give some thoughts about the Motoport riding suit I bought over the winter.

Now I will be 49 in a month or so and I am not a fitness buff to say the least. To drive home the point I am 5'9", 200lbs and when I went out this weekend for my ride this is what I had for lunch. I topped it off with a piece of cherry pie.

20200628_135347.jpg

So, no, I am not the healthiest guy around. That being said I do live in Alabama where hot summers are thought of as "cute".

This is the suit I ride in. I also wear a full face helmet and leather gloves.

20200628_154613.jpg

My ride topped around 90 degrees and took the tourist route to the beaches. Not full of long open runs is what I am getting at.

Motoport suits have padding in every standard location and also chest padding.

The fabric of my suit is the mesh fabric they have. It is very stiff and quite confidence building. A large upgrade from the Sedici outfit I replaced. The Sedici outfit was comfortable, light, and less expensive, but the confidence building area left something to be desired. That being said, it was the best I could afford at the time and was better than jeans and a T shirt.

The Sedici was not unbearable out in the heat of south Alabama, but if I said I didn't sweat, it would be a lie.

Under both outfits I do wear undergear to absorb and dissipate sweat.

The Motoport outfit is physically much heavier than the Sedici, but it has more padding and heavier fabric. You would think that would make it worse in the heat. That my friend, would not be correct. The Motoport breaths pretty well. I will say that there is less breeze in the chest than the Sedici, but the Sedici doesn't have chest padding.

I found that the Motorport breaths well enough to keep me from being miserable on the bike. Now, I am not saying that I want to jump off and go play football in it, but ride? Definitely.

When I was using the Sedici I felt compelled to supplement it with a full complement of Draggin liners. That meant putting on under amor, Draggin liners, then my riding outfit. No the liners didn't make me too hot. They breath very well. They will electrocute you when you take them off.:permazot

Now, with my Motorport and under armor, I don't feel so constricted under my suit now. That is awesome. I am still not hot and I have greater confidence in my overall protection. All in all. If you have the cash. Go for a Motoport.

Now for the design I picked. I went with the Utra II air mesh. I wanted the pockets. I will say that maybe the lower pockets, I could have done without. I use them on every ride, but if you put something stiff in there like an eyeglass case, you might notice it. It doesn't bother me at all. I will say that the pics are a little deceptive. The pockets look large, but they don't hold a lot due to the stiffness of the material.

For the pants, I opted for mesh front and back. I didn't make the back of the pants a stretch material. I feel I made the right choice. Get the suspenders. I got the velcro release type. I like them. Either would be good in my opinion, but a must have.

I did get the option to zip the pants and jacket together. I opted for the 12" since my sedici was short as well. Evidentally it was longer than 12". I cannot zip up the Motoport without zipping it before I put it on. In hind site I would get the 31" option. At least I could choose whether or not to use it. Now, I don't have a choice. I am not a contorsionist. That being said, I do not feel less protected. The 3/4 length jacket covers very well.

When working out the sizing I followed their instructions exactly. The one thing I did cheat on was the measurement for the knee pads. I measured where my Sedici pads were and used that measurment. Looking at my pick I think it fits well. Wearing it I know it fits well. OK truth time. My wife said I looked slimmer in the Sedici and she didn't like the new suit. I told her, I was warding off road rash, not picking up road trash. That solved that.

I suppose that is about all I can think to say about the outfit. Money well spent. If you have questions just shoot them to me. I will try to give you my experience.
  13. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Motoport is good stuff. My first riding suit was one of their Canyon jacket/pants back in the mid-90's. I've since had a Kevlar mesh jacket like yours, and the stretch Kevlar pants. Sold them when they no longer fit. I have a pair of Motoport's Kevlar gloves and really like them.
    klaviator and Heatery like this.
  14. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree on MotoPort. Best protection and by far the most comfortable gear I have found is over 50 years. I pair a mesh jacket with pants that are mesh in front and stretch kevlar in back; love 'em! And do get the suspenders . . .
    ultrasheen and Heatery like this.
  15. Heatery

Oddometer:
    4 hours in the heat, then being forced out of my lane by some woman who decided to call me an MFer and threatened to call the police when I backhanded her window.
    She continued to follow me into a parking lot. I tried to lose her but got caught in traffic. Then she snapped a pic of my plate while I waited for the light. I figured she would leave it at that and call the police.
    I started for home. Again, she tailed me aggressively. I dropped into a gas station. Hopefully she would move on. With some distance between us, I started home again. Two miles up the road she was waiting on the side of the road for me. I drive on. She aggressively tailed me again. 5 miles later she turned off.
    Sure, maybe I shouldn't have wrapped on her window, but all I said was, "Lady, didn't you see me?"
    I don't think my actions warranted her threatening behavior. Hopefully some hammock time will ease my frustration. At least I found some refreshing architecture for L.A.

20200712_092735.jpg
    klaviator and gulfcoaster like this.
  16. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't have happened to been running down 225 this morning did you?
  17. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Now that depends. Was that your wife?:jack
    Just kidding. Yes. I took 225 that morning.

klaviator likes this.
  18. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha. No, but I think I might have given you a heads up on the PoPo. Noticed it was a blue Tiger, then saw you post up later that afternoon, and figured it might have been you out and about early beating the heat.
    ultrasheen likes this.
  19. Heatery

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. Couldn't miss your heads up. Thanks for that. Good to be remebered.:rayof
    klaviator, ultrasheen and gulfcoaster like this.
  20. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy on a cruiser saved me from getting a ticket that morning. Not really how I wanted to start my trip back to B'ham. Doing 55 on that road seems to be impossible for me.
    Heatery, klaviator and ultrasheen like this.