1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Lower mainland (COVID-friendly) meet-ups and group rides 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Parking brake. :)
    larolco likes this.
  2. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Farkles already on order. Carter recommended the motech boxes that I had on my 'strom, which I am fine with as they are way cheaper than the Honda boxes. Centre stand, Motech crash bars (up and down) and Motech sidestand foot. Plus the tank side-gripper bits. All already on order as they provided a pretty good deal on parts for people that bought a new bike. And seem intent to spend money. The whole package was about what I would pay just for the Honda boxes. And I have a suspicion that the Honda boxes are mile-out on ordering time.

The only additional will be I will likely add some lights once the bars are on. That can wait until January or so - first oil change, I figure.

I have to certainly learn to ride all over. And this bike is VERY complex. Setting it up for a normal daily ride will be interesting, let alone anything else.
  3. ommoran

Oddometer:
    You may have noticed, but as we are now into mid-December, I've changed the thread title (thanks @Bill 310 and Steve G (Steve, we miss you... I know you're reading...) to reflect meet-ups into 2021. COVID-friendly, of course. Post day-rides you take, or rides you want a riding buddy for, the status of your COVID Vaccination, whatever. I have had a great 2020 considering everything that's gone on, but I know many haven't, and can't wait to see the ass-end of this year. Let's make 2021 a frigging great one, ride together, drink some beer together, and hopefully be able to get me (and perhaps @Umbrianissimo) onto some more dirt!

Just to catch everyone before the rush - truly, happy holidays. It's only the smallest group of close family this year, cherish that. Be happy that you're seeing the end of this year. Remember them fondly if there is, as Joe Biden likes to say, an empty chair at the kitchen table. Look forward to 2021. Make plans, make audacious plans - and then try and hit those marks. There is an end to this in sight, if we just stay in our lane - heck, I saw a news alert that the first vaccines are hitting Canada tonight (Saturday delivery, it must be Amazon :) ). Most of all, be well, and be good to each other.

All the very best for 2021.
    MGV8, Soundrider, radmeister and 2 others like this.
  4. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be adding barkbusters - before the Honda hand guards shatter and you break a lever on first tip-over.
    Look forward to a few rides with you in 2021.
    rswift-ebay and ommoran like this.
  5. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Shamefully I haven't investigated the handguards. I know they appear to be like my old bark busters but I'm not sure if there is the brace in the middle.

Thank you for another reason to go look at my bike as the monsoon rolls in...
    Soundrider likes this.
  6. ommoran

Oddometer:
    If it's your thing, as it is mine: Merry Christmas to you, folks!

If it isn't your thing: happiest of holidays, and may you find the time restful.

Keep well. Be kind to each other!
    Soundrider and CCitis like this.
  7. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey there. Unless they changed something the Honda ones are garbage and won't protect your hands or levers from either a tree or tip over. Buy the bark busters you won't regret it.
    BTW I have a 2016 AT DCT and you won't miss gears apart from the ability to stop on a hill and use the gear instead of the emergency brake!
    ommoran likes this.
  8. Soundrider

Soundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done Martin! Did you mention Carter Honda?
  9. ommoran

Oddometer:
    It was in fact from Carter. They gave good service. Their financing / warranty / registration fellow is ... new... and it took a bit, but that is fine.

I had a great day out on that machine again today. I think it kind of likes me! :)
    Soundrider and CCitis like this.
  10. Soundrider

Soundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. Carter must be given a nod only because they stick to just one brand, in a fairly high rent location.
    We'll have to get out after the 'rona' is cleared up. I've got a few Hondas [4] . I think we've met before. Seem to remember you sample the odd craft beer? I remember a good selection of free kegs at Touratech 2019?
  11. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, indeed, I do like craft beer. I even brought some in some seal-tight stainless steel growlers. If you were around when those went off ("pop" doesn't begin to describe it - it went off like a gunshot and silenced a 10 foot radius of rowdy bikers - "Hi, I'm Martin, from Canada...") we had a lot of fun. You have the advantage, so drop me a PM, as I'm thinking one of three or four people that I hung out with down there.

Carter did me pretty well, but I also wasn't interested in grinding them out of making money - that isn't fair, especially on bikes. And they were decent on the accessory and other prices, so that was good. They're good guys, and yes as a one-line shop I thought the service was better than many other dealers.
    Soundrider likes this.
  12. Soundrider

Soundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes indeed,,,,you handled that growler in resolute style. Truly an expert at slinging one empty. Anyone within earshot gave nod of admiration.
    ommoran likes this.
  13. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Cheers my on-line friends. 71D39D80-49DC-4E71-927F-8B489857FDD7.jpeg
    Hope to see you on some rides in 2021.
  14. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Hands down my favourite Scotch. Happy 2021 to you as well sir.
  15. ommoran

Oddometer:
    So... Happy New Year, and welcome to 2021.

And, in the true spirit of the site... FYYFF. :jack
    strongleftleg likes this.
  16. ommoran

Oddometer:
    It looks like it will be a dry day today. Clearly I am meant to ride...
  17. ommoran

Oddometer:
    It strikes me that this would likely have been the weekend for the motorcycle show. A good time for me every year. It's a local dealer show more than a factory show but it was still a lot of fun.

Dropped by Datona a week or so ago. They're on hold with the ktm showroom I guess. Too bad. And of course SV Motorcycle World was already closed last year. I wonder how the dealers are doing locally. Carter was happy to sell me a bike that's for sure.
  18. ommoran

Oddometer:
    We are going to apparently experience a "polar express" starting this weekend or early next week. For us here in the Lower Mainland, that likely means the last push of winter (which has been a bit of a dry, if cool, dud). Riding can start up again.

It seems that Dr. Henry will continue to enforce our current rules for a few more weeks, at least that is the bet for what she'll say this afternoon. However, I don't think that COVID is transmissible through helmet communicators - their viruses tend to be software related, or unintended "features".

Hopefully before the end of the month we can arrange a ride out to somewhere, even if it's just to grab a burger and yell at each other from a distance. Provided you ride 6' away from me of course. :)
  19. Black99S

Oddometer:
    6’ is a bit too close. 2 metres, please
    Sunny with a high of 7C today in Vancouver. I might go for a ride. New battery, oil and filter change yesterday. Want to check how accurate the Sykik TPMS is as well.
    ommoran likes this.
  20. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Would have commuted today... have to pick up my kids after work. That's a good sacrifice. :)

Go on, tell us about the tpms... I have heard on another forum (or perhaps Amazon reviews of this or similar products) that the weight of the caps makes the stems bob back and forth, and ultimately the rim cuts into the stem, causing a leak. The recommendation was a steel valve stem to prevent that.