1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Lower mainland (COVID-friendly) meet-ups and group rides 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well. The tubes have metal stems. And a conical washer with nut at base of stem which clamps stem to rim and is inside the rim.
    Outside the rim you have a second stem nut. Thus you have two options with 2nd nut.
    1) leave the outer stem nut loose dirt bike style so you can visually check if the stem begins to angle which indicated the tyre is slipping on the rim. Slip is usually the result of running low pressure - planned or not - without rim locks.
    2) tighten the outer valve stem nut against the rim like it came from the factory. if you run low pressure you won’t know the tyre is slipping until the stem rips out of the tube for a fast flat.
    But we have TPMS. So option 2

Friend on 1090 has run Sykik for two years with a trip to Baja and back. Another on T7 has run Sykik for a year. No problems.
    gpfan likes this.
  2. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I was tempted on my 'strom. Now this is tempting me even more...
  3. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been a fantastic winter for riding so far. I have commuted on the Vee every single day. 'Twas a bit icy a few mornings ago but that just helps you keen your senses and prepare for work.
    There is a new steed joining the stable next week and the Vee will head out to pasture. After 15 years on a Suzuki, it's back to Yamaha. This time, a triple.
    strongleftleg, V1Vr and ommoran like this.
  4. ommoran

Oddometer:
    I purchased an Africa Twin in Dec. My rule is above 4C, so it's ruled out riding for a bit. That will come back, very soon.

On the Wee, I probably would have ridden more.
  5. DWEL700

DWEL700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ‘Tracer?
  6. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2020 GT
  7. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My rule is above -14C :) That's the bottom end around these parts. Actually, the worst conditions are 1C and rain. I'll take snow over that, so long as there's a bare strip of pavement.

One of the things I love about the Vee is that it's a cosmetic piece of shit. I don't care about dropping it or the effects of salt. My pickup is the same way, a total bush truck. Come to think of it, I kind of treat my body the same way. Use it up.
    ommoran likes this.
  8. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Lol, there is something to be said for that. I had no issues riding the Wee year round, cast wheels and all. Rode the KTM to the end of November. They had already started with the brine. Working on it the other day and noticed corrosion in a couple of the spoke nipples:baldy . Too many opportunities for rot on this bike. One more month:ricky
    ommoran likes this.
  9. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you down to a short list of potential bikes yet?
  10. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Down to two, and if I was really serious about the second choice I would have jumped on a WR that popped up the other day. They’re popular, two good ones came and went in two days.

Did a little reading On the GT. Very nice. I think it will compliment the DRZ nicely.
  11. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soooooo........ There's one you like mo' beta? ;)

Yeah, I think the Tracer and Dizzer will play well together.
  12. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    :nod
  13. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Hopefully everyone was able to get out on Saturday.... I saw lots of one day paper plates out there....
    CCitis likes this.
  14. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Did I ride with a inmate today? Blue 1200 GS. Barnett Highway to Rocky Point to north Coquitlam. If so hi and I'm around if you want to ride.
  15. MAS500

MAS500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm up for a ride next weekend. I rode out to Squamish last weekend and went up the Mamquam FSR until it got a little too icy. Beautiful up there.
    CCitis likes this.
  16. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow Lower Mainlanders! Nice to see some of you are already hitting the trails!

@V1Vr - did I read somewhere you got a CRF450L? Nice! I’m intrigued by that bike-look forward to hearing your experience on it.

Enhancements to the Berg complete, as is valve adjustment and my normal winter service. Project details here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/proj...ild-an-acceptably-running-moto.1270484/page-4

Just need to find free time off work and the 2021 riding season can begin in earnest for Minion and I. :y0!

3CB27E48-0AAD-4D40-92ED-A43D130A339C.jpeg
    yamalama likes this.
  17. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Yep :nod
    IMG_3441.JPG
    larolco, CCitis and canadius_maximus like this.
  18. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Very nice!

Did you keep the 790 or trade/sell it?

More importantly, how you liking the 450, especially for the road miles to get to the fun bits?
  19. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Quite honestly, I don't have enough miles on the 450 to really give you a good answer. Been busier than snot around home. Initial thoughts are, It's got more than enough power, speed, and stability for the highway, although the seat is not what I'd call ideal. It has yet to see the dirt with me at the reigns. Range is pretty limited. Looking for an IMS 3 gal tank to extend that. The 790 will remain in the stable for the longer trips.

Berg's looking good. Nice job on the tower. Prit'neer time to go play in the dirt?
  20. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Nice - if time and funds allow, multiple tools for the various "jobs" is the ideal approach. I may be doing a moto changeup next year, and since the 450L is one on my radar, I'm keen to hear how folks are finding it.

Yes, it's past due for dirt play. Normally, DSBC would have already had a Nooby Rally, and the days are getting nicer and longer. I've been crazy busy with work, so the 2021 resto / mod project took a bit longer than planned. Thankfully, engine and all major systems are running good, so yes, now the sole remaining task is freeing up time .... :)