1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Lower mainland (COVID-friendly) meet-ups and group rides 2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sumas=Fun. Even just the pavement. Some construction going on around the tank farm, though. Road there is sandy and there are construction delays.
    CCitis likes this.
  2. Patience

Patience Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210420_120602.jpg IMG_20210421_162325.jpg Last Monday afternoon= to back home Thursday night, we made our way to halfway river hot springs outside of Naskup, managed to get to the 10km mark in snow ruts 2' deep (the snow started at 8kms on the hill upward & I couldn't talk the wife into just pitching camp there & walking the rest.. lol.. she says: "I'll help push the bike if needed.." {yea, her & her TW200 ideas of hers.. lol..)

2 kilometers of 1st gear duck walking the ruts & medium clutch wear I'd call it.. {she got off & pushed twice)

Anyways, so we walked the final kilometer after pitching camp in a clearing at the 10km mark {there was a creek with fast flowing water there so it ended up being a good choice for a water source in hindsight

The hwy signs on the crows nest started flashing "no recreational travel" Thursday evening before the announcement on Friday
    MRCL and CCitis like this.
  3. Patience

Patience Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210411_111403.jpg Center stage is "Tim's bike"

The CB500X

Couple weeks ago we went camping with some other construction workers & this was Tim's 5th time riding his bike, 1st time down the Sea to Sky hwy, 1st time off pavement, 1st time motorcycle camping

Location?= 1st left after the power house on the squamish river fsr & down through the sand & puddles to the river

Tim went through a riding school & had used their bikes for the course

Some people are naturals & he did great with the stock tires packed up with mud slicker than duck sh*t, he had no problems

He bought a 60 liter dry bag that he just ROX straps onto the rear & away he goes.. seems work just fine actually

I think Tim made a great choice with the CB500X for his 1st bike & it was fun to be a part of someone's 1st motorcycle adventure
    canadius_maximus, CCitis and V1Vr like this.
  4. Patience

Patience Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Travel restrictions lifted.."
    (Obviously.. pending that..)

Tentatively.. (Port Renfrew)
    (Camp on the beach run, its 2 kilometers long, so plenty of room, their motorcycle friendly, security guard has a Harley outside his 5th wheel, we went twice last year){spot #8 will be reserved ahead of time for parking of some bikes, northern tip area of the beach){its vast.. space is not an issue

Saturday June 5th-6th return

4 that I know from north Burnaby confirmed {although possibly 6} bikes leaving the Esso Tim Hortons at Bainbridge & Lougheed @ or just before 10am heading for the 11am Tsawwassen sailing

They sell firewood for $20 a wheelbarrow at the campground

My own itinerary is 1st stop at the takeout window at Ogden point cafe in James Bay {the breakwater} for a quick lunch of sorts on the beach there.

2nd stop is the Chevron gas station in Sooke

3rd stop {10 minutes at Jordan River)

4th @ the beach campground..

Return trip Sunday afternoon;

1st stop {10 minutes @ Cowichan Bay co-op gas station)

2nd stop Duncan Chevron {with the A&W next door)

3rd stop Swartz Bay ferry

"This is an open invite to tag along & no I won't touch anyone's bike or person's & please don't touch mine"

Other than that., The wife & I are rolling 2up with the mothership & I've got pretty much every tire repair contraption in an emergency {2 compressors, 1 that can seat a bead with rachet strap, plugs patches whatnot & even spare 21/18 tubes, I only have the axel socket for the KTM but the bar is a 3/4" if that's useful information for anyone wanting to pack light, I'll wear surgical gloves & help anyone if their in difficult tire distress)

No need to ride with us, just stay ahead of us & we'll be the sweep casually rolling through

Perhaps we'll see some of you.. perhaps not.. but instead of my usual post ride reports I'll throw it out there first.. {note; I myself will not take pictures of people or license plates)

Anyways, is what it is, looking like the island is in June, its basically twisty pavement the entire loop {minus the gravel campground itself)
    (I have no clue how the campground would bill for a bunch of motorcycle campers spread out as it is listed as $20 per 2 car occupancy & $5 for each additional car, although you can tent almost anywhere along the 2km beach, they ask you buy firewood instead of burning driftwood & they just supervised me filling the wheelbarrow myself & taking off with it a couple times last October)
    Screenshot_20210503-174424.png Screenshot_20210503-174659.png Screenshot_20210503-174815.png Screenshot_20210503-175133.png Screenshot_20210503-175350.png Screenshot_20210503-180924.png Screenshot_20210503-180453.png

Attached Files:

MRCL likes this.
  5. Patience

Patience Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like we get another great month of around the house maintenance projects {similar to the past 14 months

Although it is true (as I'd read somewhere earlier) "still lots of ok riding in district #1"

I suppose I'm somewhat jellous of those locked out & the space they have compared to the potentially suspected infected locked in.. but the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it..

(I guess with the airport here in district #1 this had to happen eventually..)

Screenshot_20210505-163623.png
  6. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I actually thought those "checks" would be closer in... Squamish, Hope, etc. Hopefully if the numbers keep coming down they will lift it. But then there is Alberta....
  7. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whooooo Raaaaaaah! We can travel.....fathers day weekend....who's heading out? I need to test this Africa thang bike and work any bugs out before heading south. As you know I'm up for anything....side note-I want to do some trips to work any bugs out with my KIPMOTO trailer.