Lower mainland meet-ups and group rides 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you Martin!! Seriously shitty news about one of the 1 million seriously incompetent 4 wheeled vehicle drivers in Metro Vancouver taking you out. I’ve had 3 serious close calls this street riding season, saved only from 35 years of street riding in Vancouver. Glad the Strom is healthy.
    I’m in 100% for TT 2020. And yes, my destroyed 60 yr old hockey/rugby/racquet ball
    knees force me into green off-road runs enduro wise forever, happy to ride with you on easy paths. My old Laverda riding pals from Victoria are way more serious about knarley shit ass single tracks,,, they have a desk job to return to, I have to work without physical impediment. I need to upgrade my sleeping bag, I went hypothermic camping in that field, otherwise what a great event.
    Christmas event downtown,,,,I just left that (1pm) on my old Marin bush pedal bike, be careful I don’t end up on the hood of your car!! And stay away from Hastings and Main, some serious shire going down there Sunday.
  2. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0766.JPG
    Sure was a good day for riding! Hope everyone was able to get a bike out and enjoy it.
    Tytan, ommoran and Steve G. like this.
  3. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Martin,
    Very sorry to hear about the get off courtesy of a car. Damn annoying. Glad to hear the mortal coil is still in good shape and that the bike is solid. I hope I can join you and some others in the warmer weather for a few rides. I'm not sure how much bike time I'll have in the cold weather but I am looking forward to the next warm riding season.
    ommoran and Steve G. like this.
  4. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Damon, I appreciate it.

I don't know why I drifted away from here the last couple of months, but I appreciate that you and others have made me feel right at home, like no time has passed.

Keep well!
    canadius_maximus and Steve G. like this.
  5. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you're commuting by motorcycle down Hastings you're a braver man than me I hate riding in Vancouver traffic. Good to hear it was nothing too serious, we need to get a few more group day rides organized next year, West Harrison to the hot springs, East Harrison to Boston Bar, Hope Princeton 5A loop, Hope to Spences Bridge to Merritt loop are a few that come to mind.
  6. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Brave, stupid, stubborn, or thrifty - take your pick, I think all apply. That said, it is a little cooler than I like today, and I may take the car. Haven't decided.

Yes to the group rides. A little dirt with a group will help my confidence on a little dirt greatly.
    gpfan, canadius_maximus and Steve G. like this.
  7. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Hi, and sorry to hear of your get-off.

I'm in a bit of post-accident recovery myself (was rear-ended and concussed) so am also getting my dirt legs back underneath me, and can appreciate the rebuilding confidence in technique, balance, etc. The recovery, plus the completion of a year plus-long bike restoration has induced some serious riding withdrawal, so the last couple of months has been trying to make up for lost time with whatever riding I can fit into my schedule.

If you're up for a short(ish) day ride, I'm targeting the remaining sunny days for wee jaunts into the backcountry. I'm happy to take you up some big bike friendly FSR, either down near Cultus or up in the Mission areas.

PM if you're interested.

CM
  8. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Bike restoration!! You’re speaking my language of activity in the winter. Let’s here about what you’ve been up to
  9. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Well, not to derail a meetup thread with my pet projects that probably few actually want to hear about, but since you asked, here you go ... :lol3

https://advrider.com/f/threads/projekt-husaberg-Återuppbygga-swedish-for-only-idiots-rebuild-an-acceptably-running-moto.1270484/

By no means a dramatic classic bike restoration of the sort you're likely imagining, but given what I had in mind, versus what I had to work with, and what free time I (didn't) have to do it, I'm pretty happy with the results. A race bike given a new lease on life as a light adventure bike with potential for mild rally events was what I set out to do, and so far, it's been everything I had hoped and more.

cm
  10. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Ya, extremely Kewl resto!!! After all
    That I wouldn’t want to get it dirty!!!
    canadius_maximus likes this.
  11. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I knew that those garage pics would be the cleanest it'd ever be.

It's been suitably dirtied since, and since Minion (my nickname for the 'Berg) is a worker and not a show girl, I'm ok with that. The sole concession for looks is to wash (garden hose, not pressure) after a muddy ride and blow dry with compressed air around the electrics and any nooks and cranniess where moisture can accumulate, then before the next ride, lube chain if/as req'd. And that's more for drive train maintenance than anything.

I miss having a more highway friendly bike that most of you have, so I'll likely not join you guys on your trips with long highway stretches. More than an hour of droning at 110 km/hr just isn't what that motor's about. But for most of my trips, roughly an hour on highway is about all I need to get to some good FSRs where the bike really shines. So Harrison, Chehalis, Indian Arm, Slesse are all easily accessible.

Am thinking about the Desert 100 next spring. To do that, I'd rent a little trailer and tow it behind one of the family grocery-getters. Anyone planning to do that one? At a 50th anniversary, it should be fun.....

https://stumpjumpers.org/sjmc/events-and-races/desert100/
  12. ommoran

Oddometer:
    @canadius_maximus I may well take you up on that, although it's rapidly becoming the silly season with events, visitors, etc.

I'm also on the lookout *cough* for anyone that can teach me - finally - how to do electrical work on a bike. I have a stockpile of stuff that I want to install, and it would be nice to get it done before February / March. I'm just always worried that I will fry my bike. :)
    gpfan, Steve G. and canadius_maximus like this.
  13. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you feel like making a trip to White Rock after the holiday madness I have a bike lift, electrical stuff, enough knowledge to keep the smoke in and a decent brew pub down the road.
  14. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Who doesn't like White Rock. That is a deal!
    Steve G. likes this.
  15. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Begin with a fuse block if you're wiring in a bunch of stuff. This will provide you with switched power via relay. First consideration is where you will locate it. I know on the old 1000, folks liked to put it in the underseat stow tray but I opted to keep that to stow a compressor, tools, bungee cords, etc. I bought the smallest fuse block I could find and zapstrapped it to the frame rail next to the battery. Even then, I had to modify it to make it fit. Not sure what placement options you have on the 650.

I'm also happy to help out with heated space and tools (and a little bit of know-how) but am swamped until after the new year. I'm also farther away than White Rock.
    Steve G. and canadius_maximus like this.
  16. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sort of on topic, perhaps those of us down here in the metro zone could meet at the Motorcycle show in Jan or Feb; whenever it is. Be nice to meet some locals and get a feel for what sorts of rides we're interested in, or capable of. I'm at the end of my riding season I think. Tank topped off, stabilizer, trickle charge hooked up for a while every three weeks.... and so to accessory shopping! I might get out on the Vespa for an errand or two, but otherwise I'll opt for fours and heated seats. Anyhow, give some thought to a MC show meet.

Welcome to December!

Cheers.
    Propfrwrd and Steve G. like this.
  17. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea. Vancouver/Abbotsford bike show is January 24/25/26, 2020. I missed it last year, bad flu. I may be involved in a club display during this show, depending on if my bike is going to be on display. Saturday is almost always my go-to day, I still work for a living so Friday’s often not an option.
  18. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I might maybe plan to possibly attend. It's pretty much the same show every year and I really need some specific incentive to attend. Last year it was the KTM 790. Maybe this year it is a group ride on the Saturday. I wonder if the new Suzi Vee will be there. I guess I'd have to go check that out.
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy it, doesn't matter if its the same or not to me. Always something to see and look at. Hopefully weather is nice so lots can ride out.
    Steve G. likes this.
  20. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    The bike show,,, it’s about bikes. Better to go there than attend to honey-do-list
    CCitis and NOVA_F850GSA like this.