Lower mainland meet-ups and group rides 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not so sure about riding in January was real cold yesterday on the FSRs only place that was comfertable was in the deep woods single track were it's slow going and you get a workout so to keep the body heat up. FB_IMG_1575318573484.jpg FB_IMG_1575318562633.jpg FB_IMG_1575318548547.jpg
    Steve G. likes this.
  2. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, mine is parked for now... I used to be crazier and brave the cold... now not so much. If its a nice day I might have to ride out to the show though.
    Steve G. likes this.
  3. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year the traffic going to the show was backed up like crazy. We rolled past all the cars on the muddy shoulder and parked right by the door. Well worth the chilly ride!
    Steve G. and CCitis like this.
  4. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am glad you are alright. I am still going through at least weekly physio for my wrist that I broke in April at the riding school

Apparently when one has had carpal tunnel surgery on one's wrists and then breaks said wrist the recovery is much longer than anticipated.

I haven't ridden since April though it appears that I will be able to start riding in a few weeks. ( the irony of this doesn't escape me).

While I was off I managed to send my 2008 K1200Gt to a new home. My BIL on the island is a great guy and a real salwart in the collective family. He hasa few old barely running airheads and I phone him up and asked him if he would like the GT

He knows its history and at present it is running like a top, hopefully he will get another 120K on it before things start breaking again.

He is taller and thinner than me and the bike fits him perfectly, I thought i would be sad to see that bike go but I was so pleased to see it go to a good home where it will be ridden well and appreciated that I had not a second of remorse.

Best of the season to all of you.
    ommoran and Steve G. like this.
  5. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll put the show on the agenda. I agree that it is a bit of time and money for a wander around that may be looking at 'the same old stuff' but I'd certainly be keen to meet some local riders and have a while to chat. A good way to get to know others, which will help in planning summer rides. I drove last year but I'd ride if the weather is at all tolerable.... meaning, not too wet. If so, could even have a few of us from way out west ride to the show together (I'm Main & 20th). Just a thought for pondering on the long winter nights.
  6. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The nights are indeed long while I and the bike slumber. I bought a couple of tickets already from a dealer, saved a couple bucks each. I too will ride on the Saturday if it is above freezing and not raining or snowing. I remember one year it was a gorgeous day... however seeing all the guys get hit with the snowfall on the way out did not look fun. I am "out west"... and will stay tuned.
    ommoran likes this.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m all electricity heated up on my winter bike. I’ll be there on a bike unless the snow flies, only so I don’t have to pay for parking, and walk 1/4 mile with the car/truck.
    ommoran and MikefromNL like this.
  8. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already got tickets. I'll be riding unless there's snow on the roads. Aiming for the Saturday.
  9. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I too will be there Saturday, although will likely be there Friday night as well with my bride to be. Because motorcycles.

I make fun of the show... but I go every year. It's worth it, frankly.
    canadius_maximus, CCitis and Steve G. like this.
  10. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can kind of take the show or leave it, but I tend to go most years. But, please, don't call me Frankly.
    Steve G. and canadius_maximus like this.
  11. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Surely, you aren’t offended, are you? :lol3

I’m of the same mind. But I usually end up going. Driving because Mrs Maximus and the two MiniMaximi actually enjoy it. And because a rally prepped ‘Berg ridden two up with two more in a sidecar rig would be would be awkward all ‘round ... :imaposer

I’ve become smitten with the 790 Adventure R this summer and fall (no thanks to pics and write ups from @strongleftleg et al :dirtdog:becca.... :lol3:thumb). And Mrs Maximus is surprised that a bike I am that infatuated with “only costs around $14k).” So getting her to see it in person for herself might be the considerate move on my part, affirming her uncanny ability to discern a great deal, makes me a supportive, attentive husband, right?

I mean, really, it boils down to simply putting her needs first in this situation, right? :jack

Anyway, if I’m not on business travel, I should be able to make it.
    CCitis and Steve G. like this.
  12. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your most welcome :D

Your welcome to take it for a spin.
    It pairs very nicely with my KTM 500.
    canadius_maximus likes this.
  13. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see a group gathering for this show. But a question; @MikefromNL mentioned riding up on the shoulder. I'm just wondering what others might do; I'm usually too meek to do such a thing, even though bikes will get free parking that does not compete with cars for spaces. So, shoulder up to the gate, or piddle along with the cars?

Looking at the map, I think I might come in from the south and make a right turn in wherever possible/ logical.
  14. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even in my truck I have never had a traffic issue when coming from the south. Usually drive down and turn around somewhere....
  15. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I'll have to check on the roadwork along that route. They've had Mt. Lehman all ripped up at Simpson Rd for at least a year, i know they were doubling the lanes there. Once you get into the airport grounds, shoulder riding is full on, unless you've got full street tires, the grass will be kinda slippery.
  16. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent info, thanks all.
  17. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were several other bikes doing it at the time as well. Safely, slowly, and not in a hurry.
    I'm not usually the shoulder riding guy in traffic, but there was lots of room and I figured about 90% of the people stuck in traffic were there to look at motorcycles and wouldn't mind too much. I also think I remember being directed to use a different entrance into the lot than the cars. Coming from the south would be better for traffic for sure.
    Steve G. likes this.
  18. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a beautiful day, enough that I will be "de winterizing" for the day. Hope you get out there too and enjoy one of the last fine days of 2019!
    IMG_0885.jpg
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just nudging things to keep the idea of a casual meeting alive. I'm likely out of town the week before, but I think the Saturday is best for most riders? I've only been once so I don't know about best times or locations to meet. Is there some sort of ADV salute or code word? Hoping the weather is ridable. Its going to be seriously cold (for this coast) in the next few days.
  20. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ask and you shall receive! I'm in for a meet up to when and where something is decided. I could propose an actual Vancouver meet up too.

[​IMG]
    CCitis likes this.