Lower mainland meet-ups and group rides 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 17, 2019.

1. nakedjordan

nakedjordan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the first time ever the bike is actually uninsured and apart for some much needed maintenance but I'm hoping to be back riding by next month so I'll keep an eye on this and I'm always down for a meet up even a bit of a ride.
  2. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I have made the necessary change to the thread title to usher out 2019 and usher in 2020, a year filled with vision and farsightedness, I'm sure.

I am planning on being at the motorcycle show on the Saturday, January 25. If the weather is around 5 or 6 and dry-ish for the day, or better, I will ride.

Anyone interested in meeting for breakfast at the ABC on the north side of Highway 1 near the airport, for breakfast? I mean it, I am hoping to spend the whole day there, and heading home around 4 or 5ish.

Much of that time I hope to spend kibbitzing and bullshitting with friends new and old. Especially in the beer garden. :)

Thanks all. Look forward to seeing you there, especially @MikefromNL, @Steve G., and @Bill 310 @rswift-ebay, @Umbrianissimo, and many others. Let me know if you are going, and maybe we set up a text group or something similar so we can actually find each other....
    gpfan likes this.
  3. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be there all day Friday & Saturday at the Pacific Riding School booth unless I'm wandering around. Stop by and chat with the Enduro guys.
  4. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Hey! I remember you! :) I took the PRS school in April last year during the monsoon. Plan on taking it again this year, in May. Was hoping there might be a show discount for signing up... :)
  5. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    "I am planning on being at the motorcycle show on the Saturday, January 25. If the weather is around 5 or 6 and dry-ish for the day, or better, I will ride."

I have been to your town. It is much like my home town of Toronto. Just a fair warning; that day is the official day for Tet or Lunar New Year. One may find extra bustle and maybe even hustle on the roads of Van City.
  6. ommoran

Oddometer:
    I grew up in your home town as well. 'Tis pronounced Tronna, or Tronn-oh if you are from the Niagara region.

While your warning is of note, the advantage is that our motorcycle show is not allowed to be so close to the city. While yours is in (Mister and) Mississauga, ours is 'way out by the secondary airport in Abbotsford. I'm certain that name is an ancient Olde Englishe hex meaning "don't invite disappointment by putting an airport here". Think of it as being held at the Downsview airport - apt as both are former military airports. Not near the airport. At the airport. There's a purpose-built building there and everything.

In fact, take the Automotive Building from the Ex, move it to Downsview, and hold it inside.

What I'm saying is that we will be riding far away from the street dragons and bottle rockets.
  7. gpfan

Oddometer:
    "While yours is in (Mister and) Mississauga, ours is 'way out by the secondary airport in Abbotsford. I'm certain that name is an ancient Olde Englishe hex meaning "don't invite disappointment by putting an airport here". "

First of all, we may be related (pm moi, if you care). Secondly, STFU! As a Scot I see that you are an idiot. "Abbotsford" was Sir Walter Scott's home. ANYTHING with "Ford" in it shall be Scottish. Wally was a proper Scot (CofS Presbyterian), and a brother (Lodge St David, No.36 (Edinburgh)). Also, he was the author of Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, Old Mortality, The Lady of the Lake, Waverley, The Heart of Midlothian and The Bride of Lammermoor.

Read a book some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbotsford_House
  8. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Noted. It's an ancient Scottish hex for "don't invite disappointment by putting an airport here". It isn't Irish, so the soil wasn't first bathed in recycled whiskey prior to construction...

Tried to PM - it's a trick. "You can't send a private message to that user..." :)
    gpfan likes this.
  9. gpfan

Oddometer:
    I thought of my post whilst road-raging into work this morn. I realised it may have come across as nasty, as you would not be able to hear the tone of the voice in my head as I said it before typing. If you were offended, I am sorry. I was teasing (when I called you an idiot).

About the PM, I must have the settings incorrect. About the related, we share a last name (we are NOT related).
  10. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Not thought to be nasty and no offence taken. And no we are not related. Parts of Ireland where that name is Gaelic for "Smith"... Although it would be interesting to compare notes.
  11. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What jolly bunch of silly chaps you all are! I'm planning on the saturday, by two wheels or four. @ommoran; if the weather is rideable I'll meet you for breakfast. Likely want to enter by the south road, though? Mind you, I'm not at my most presentable early in the morning, so my attendance may be time-depandant. @Black99S ; I look forward to taking about riding courses with PRS. And general shopping, naturally.
  12. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for breakfast as well. I'm a morning person, so, yeah. Whatever time will suit me. I can eat two breakfasts if necessary.

I don't think there are any eating establishments south of the airport. North is the best bet. Not a problem to scoot around the south side afterwards if the lineup is scary. Snow should be well and gone by then so I'll be riding. Probably the DRZ since the Vee's insurance lapsed yesterday. I'm monitoring the thread here and the one on Stromtrooper.
  13. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't be there for breakfast, but the weather is looking promising (although still a bit early). Certainly warming up, and as of now, not much precip forecasted on Saturday! If I'm there on two wheels say Hi, I am on the blue Sprint 900.
  14. MAS500

MAS500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you go an hour or two after it opens there is no line. I've only waited in line when I arrived before it opened. Of course the walk from the parking lot is longer but it helps to burn off the calories from the miniature donuts and hotdog that are customarily consumed. I think the best time to go is after 5 when all the parents take their kids home. No waiting for junior to have his pic taken on the African Twin.
  15. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, moto-mates. What's up for Sat am? @ommoran; the ABC seems to be a Rickey's or something? Could you post a screen shot showing the location of the fine establishment in question? RE timing, as I'm coming from 'way out west, and not too savvy in the early hours, could we say brekkie at... 10:00 am? Is that what you're thinking of? Guess if I broke out of here at 08:30 I'd be there by 09:30. But 10 would be so much better. And for the others who might join this party, should we set up a time and place to meet at the show? Someone mentioned beer, and that got my full attention. That and the mini-donuts.
  16. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Hope you guys have fun on the meetup Saturday.

I'm tied up all weekend until Sunday afternoon - will be heading out to the show shortly after lunch. If anyone is heading out at around that time and wants to carpool, I'm happy to drive. No, am not riding the Husaberg, as getting some maintenance at the moment. Leaving from the Cloverdale area 1230-1300ish. I can pick you up if you're nearby or east of that as I head to Abbotsford. No need to share the parking cost or anything, as I'm going anyway.

PM if you're interested.

cm
  17. larolco

larolco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a Denny's at Mt. Lehman, just south of the #1. Never eaten there, but it's a Denny's and everybody's eaten at a Denny's before. You know what you're (not) getting. Not my pick.

More interesting, but doesn't open until 11 and no breakfast menu that I can see, is Brodeur's. Just north of the #1 on Mt. Lehman. I've never eaten there either. They have smoked meat and beer - everything a man desires. http://www.bbistro.ca/

Or, there's Colleen's on 56th. Haven't eaten there either but I've heard good things and they do greasy spoon breakfast from 6am. https://m.facebook.com/colleencafe/

But, whatever. I'm easy. There's not much else to pick from in that area. It's not, how you say, a cultural hive of culinary delight.

The Ricky's, btw, isn't at Mt Lehman; it's a little further on east at Clearbrook.
  18. ommoran

Oddometer:
    For what it is worth, Brodeur's is AMAZING. But is not open.

There is a Ricky's (thanks @Umbrianissimo) at the Clearbrook exit. Allows us to sneak back down the east side of the airport and stealth-approach from the south. The show opens at 10. Shall we meet about 8:30-9:00? Ricky's is always quick.

If you are in for brekkie, PM me and I will send you my phone #. If you are in to meet up at the show, ditto - send me a pm. I'm open to discuss timing too, but I've got the whole day to kill at the show - not that there will be enough to do, but I'll find enough to do...

https://goo.gl/maps/N3LwpzgmmqBkkZf58
  19. ommoran

Oddometer:
    Ok. Bump.

We are going head with breakfast at Ricky's (noted in the previous post) from about 8:30 tomorrow. If you want to come by do so, but maybe shoot me a pm so I can get a big enough table, and get you my cell number. We will head to the show for opening or there abouts.

If you plan on being at the show on Saturday, and want to meet up for a beer or whatever, it will be great to meet / see you. I know some folks have my cell already, but shoot me a PM today or tomorrow (I'll check periodically both days) and I can send you my mobile, and we can share a beer. Or something.

It would be great to meet, and kick off a year of getting together via ADV.
  20. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'lm going to try for the morning meeting at Ricky's. Will leave Van. Main St at 08:00. I'm not reliable earlier than that. I have your cel I think so I'll send a text to test. Eat, visit, go to show, wander & shop untill beer. Hope to meet others as well. Happy to pass my cel on to others if they want to PM me as well.