Lower North Island - impromptu weekday rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Oaters, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:

Cheers Steve - will be good to catch up when everything aligns - re the vid - certainly makes the Awakino Saddle Challenge Section in the Dusty Butt appear relatively benign :)
  2. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Tora, Wairarapa - Monday 21 December 2015 - an 'impromptu' gravel ride of the BMW Owner's Register - others welcome irrespective of marque of machine on the understanding all participants assume responsibility for their own and others safety by riding sensibly

Ride is leaving Caltex Rimutaka at 9am with coffee in Martinborough before heading out to Tora (Tora Farm Settlement Road as I understand it) and returning to a Wairarapa Cafe for lunch.

This will not be a 'balls out' gravel ride (personally, as I'm not leading this ride; and I'm aware there will be some using this ride to build confidence in gravel) I'll be tending toward the back with a view to going somewhat quickly (yes, I know its all relative :) so as to be able avoid the dust and have a little bit of a fun catching up with those toward the front. I'd expect the 'corner man' system to apply

Air heads - especially those with sidecars, stripped down PD's and Katoom Super Motards welcome - you all know who you are - even if you ride a Strom - don't let that deter you, many Register members are migrating to these over time - :)
  3. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Great riding in the Wairarapa today - nice mix of twisty roads both sealed and gravel - one of our number rode his R80RT out to Tora in spite of the gravel - top attitude Paul IMG_4305.JPG IMG_4306.JPG IMG_4307.JPG IMG_4308.JPG IMG_4309.JPG
  4. Oaters

Oddometer:
    A few more - everything is very dry in the Wairarapa - I feel for the farmers

IMG_4313.JPG IMG_4314.JPG IMG_4315.JPG IMG_4316.JPG IMG_4317.JPG
    kiwibul likes this.
  5. Oaters

Oddometer:
    So fortunate to be able to enjoy this amazing country that is Aotearoa from a moto - living the dream
    IMG_4322.JPG IMG_4326.JPG IMG_4327.JPG
    young1 likes this.
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks hot. Was it as windy as over here? Have to say the combination of wind & heat today is driving me batty...
  7. Oaters

Oddometer:

yes it was very warm - 33 degrees in Featherston - returning over the hill around 2.30 the wind was no problem - despite gales forecast for later in the day
  8. Oaters

Oddometer:
    A heads up - there's an 'impromptu' ride initiated by the BMWOR Area Rep planned for this Wednesday 6 January 2016 (my excuse / justification for going when there are far more pressing domestic things I could be attending to; is that this'll probably be my last for a few weeks since my wife and I are off in our motorhome ( grey tsunami and all that - us Gold Card holders)

Anyway ride is scheduled to leave Caltex Rimutaka at 8.30 sharp for Masterton, Pongaroa (SH52) and on as follows: Quoting the email I received today from the Area Rep "through Pongaroa to Wiaone. From Waione we turn left and follow the gravel roads ultimately on to Towai Road for the ride over the ridge to Coonoor then South to the Pahiatua Pongaroa Road for the ride through to Pahiatua for lunch at Charlies Bakery & Café in the Main street."

This ride is not restricted to members of the BMWOR - riders of other marques are welcomed - the only request is that folk respect the ride organiser / leader and not race ahead of him. I encourage the use of the Corner Man system on these rides - no I'm not the ride leader - I tend to hang towards the back which enables me to go at the pace of my preference.

Should the ride be cancelled due to inclement weather I'll post a note up here

Cheers Oaters
  9. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very tempting, but a dirty black DR might look out of place...

and I struggle with rules, and organised rides, and rules, the corner man, and...well rules in general.
  10. Oaters

Oddometer:

Hi Bart - be great to have you along - after all it's your 'neck of the woods' - and 'no - there's no expectation that folks ride a certain machine' (should you change your mind send me a PM and I'll send you my cell number for agreeing a 'meet up' location - we've done 'Takapari' together on what was ostensibly a BMW Club ride I organised (albeit clearly described as a 'gravel / adventure' ride) )

I take your point about the 'rules' and organised rides - I know it's a turn off to some and respect that. Group size and safety are also important considerations to me and these tend to be relatively small groups - after all we're perceived as latte drinking pipe and slippers folk by many :)

Me - as a retiree and closer to 70 than 60, I find I've kinda 'grown into' (ie its 'age appropriate' for me) riding gravel with those in the BMWOR (and their friends) who like to get their GS 'dusty'

Go well - cheers Oaters :)
  11. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Despite the greys you're still a bloody young hooligan at heart Stephen.Don't try to fool us with that gentlemanly exterior.

happy new year from the us & the lil ponies.
    Oaters likes this.
  12. Oaters

Oddometer:

Cheers for that Craig - best wishes to you both (and I'd say not so little ponies now - it was 2009 when I enjoyed your hospitality before and after the start of the Top of the South Dusty Butt - sigh :)

Hope you all enjoy your new abode - sounds / looks great :)
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    That's right - all these old geezers buying beamers to try an fool us into thinking they've gone soft......meh I'm not buying it, then again, maybe its time I started looking at the "other" Bavarian brand myself, and I have actually gone soft and old.....an broken :fpalm
  14. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was tempted to tag along for a couple of hours, but shopping is more important according to my lovely wife. Next time maybe.
  15. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like you need to attend a couple of garden trails and/or cat shows to rack up some brownie points :evil
    innathyzit likes this.
  16. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luckily she's not interested in gardens or cats, just shopping. Hopefully I can sneak off with the young fella and catch a movie instead. Clothes shopping just pisses me off.
  17. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    We both know that's not the way it works. Shopping isn't family time. Tell her it's important to have helmet time instead. Dare you...
    John C and Oaters like this.
  18. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Gratuitous pic of my GS in the Molesworth returning from the 'Burt' 2013 - making the most of each day whilst I still can :)

IMG_2029.JPG
  19. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Wednesday 6 January 2016 turned on a great day - in addition to BMWOR Area Rep Peter N (ride organiser - F650GS (800 twin), Ken W (R1200GS Triple Black) and Box a bits (R100GS "Gus" ) were all waiting when I arrived at Caltex Rimutaka at 8.30 this morning.

After a quick chat we were off over the Rimutakas to Masterton where we were joined by Tibsy and Mrs T (R1200GS WC) & Paul M (R80 RT) - yes that's right RT on a gravel ride!!

On up highway 52 to Pongaroa where we met Graeme F aboard his F650GS (also an 800 twin)

Group assembled at Masterton before leaving for Pongaroa via Highway 52 IMG_4445.JPG

Stopped for a piccy of this little piece of Rural NZ on the Whangaehu Valley Road en route to Alfredton

IMG_4447.JPG

Views from atop Towai Road - gravel was deep in places and was best treated with 'verve' certainly would not have respected 'tentative' - a lot of fun on the ascent

IMG_4448.JPG IMG_4450.JPG
    Night Falcon likes this.
  20. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Up atop Towai Road at the Lime Works - before the descent to join Coonoor Road:

The intrepid Paul M aboard his ex UK Police R80RT ( taken out to 1000cc) - he receives the 'man of the match' award for courage in punting the big faired machine through some challenging and in places very deep gravel on the ascent of Towai Road
    IMG_4452.JPG
    Group conflab on regrouping at the Lime Works:

IMG_4454.JPG IMG_4455.JPG