Lowering a DRZ 400

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mwike, Oct 18, 2009.

1. mwike

mwike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about getting a DRZ for my wife. She's about 5'5" tall and had a CRF150 that she road a good bit through single track and various ATV type trails, but the CRF was much shorter than the DRZ.

I know I can get lowering links for the rear & move the forks up, maybe requiring bar risers. So does anyone have any more info on lowering this bike or experience with a short, somewhat inexperienced rider on a DRZ that they'd share?
  2. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:
    A corbin seat will lower the seat height considerably. Lowering links will bring the bike down quite a bit, depending on the ones you buy. The links will minimize suspension travel, but probably not in a way that will be a problem for *most* wives, especially those small enough to need a lower DRZ. For reference I'm 5'9", and the corbin + links made the bike too low. I removed the links, left the corbin on and now I wish it was a hair higher.
  3. J1M

J1M StUcK

Oddometer:
    i haven't lowered a drz 400 but i have lowered my wifes dr650. and it was great when we were on the roads but as soon as we went off road and got into any areas that we needed to articulate, we spent more time off the bike getting it through the sections rather than riding. so for a while we left the lowering kit on then after she was comfortable we raised it back to stock height and kept is as low as the stock suspension would allow. my suggestion would be its a great thing to do if she is getting used to a substantially higher bike but soon after it might be a good idea to raise it back up if you plan to spend alot of your time off road. hope this helps!

J1M
  4. mwike

mwike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that helps a lot - thanks.

Let the search begin.
  5. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple of friends who ride DRZ
    One with a low seat and links and one with just the lower seat.

I'm 5'8" tall and I'm used to riding taller bikes
    And for tight trails the DRZ was a B*tch, big, heavy and tall.
    Or Big heavy and no ground clearance.

I'd suggest something a little more easier to get around on
    A CRF230L or maybe that KD250 what ever that's the new Kawasaki
    The Honda's lower and lighter and the Kaw is a touch more off road friendly
    Then the Honda.

I spent a weekend on the CRF with reall 80-20 dirt biased tires and did really well.
  6. Ltc

Ltc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    on my DRZ i lowered the tripple clamps a little and lessened some tension on the coil just by loosening it a bit, bought me about an inch or 2, now it fits me good
  7. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    I just bought a drz and it has the lowering links, forks slid up, bar risers, and corbin seat. I had to put the stock back on cause I was flat footed. I'm a long legged 5'7... I will be raising mine to factory and cranking up the rear shock some cause I hate it being so low. As long as I can touch the very tip of my left foot big toe then I'm good to go. I like em tall :evil
  8. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    friend of mine had a DRZ that was lowered with links, forks slid up etc... It rode pretty good. He shaved the seat himself and didn't do a great job, so it was slightly uncomfortable in that regard. But, I'd try shaving the seat before I bought another Corbin. Had one on my old KTM and it was the worst seat I've ever used... and I'm pretty sure shaving your own foam will result in a lower seat height anyway... (you can also make it slightly narrower, this helps too!) I'm 5'3" and could tiptoe both sides if I remember correctly. Either way the DRZ is a huge step above something like a CRF230. It just depends on how comfortable she'll be on a bike she has to tiptoe and how tall she is.
    Five3 likes this.
  9. ChopSuey

ChopSuey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's KLX250. Both the 230L and the KLX250 weigh as much if not more than the DRZ400. I wouldn't want any of them to tell you the truth and the 230L and the KLX250 are much less trail worthy than the 400. I'm 5'4" 125lbs with a 29" inseam and I've ridden my husband's DRZ400e and it's HEAVY and you know what? Some things are worth repeating...IT'S HEAVY!!! Weight matters much more than seat height and the less you weigh the more it matters.

If your wife is learning to ride and is coming off a 150, she's going to struggle with those heavy bikes and will be dropping them alot and may get discouraged and probably won't have much fun as a result. Are you absolutely sure you want a four stroke for her? Does the new bike have to be plated? The KDX200/220 is a very mellow two stroke and weights much less than the above bikes. There's lots of them around and they're cheap. The 230 (not L) is still heavy, but has a little lower seat height and a lot of people seem to do well on this bike. I've had a few four strokes (XR250, DRZ250 and TE250) and I've decided I enjoy riding the two strokes much more. They're funner (yes I know this is not a word) and lighter. I took my husband's KTM200 this summer and I'm not giving it back! :D
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    It's a bit more expensive to do, but the DRz could have the suspension altered in proper fashion like flat trackers do it.

The forks and shock are disassembled and a travel limit spacer inserted. Doing this will make it so you can lower the bike as much as you want. You could drop it 4 inches and still have at least 6 inches of suspension travel. The one thing that might need be done would be to change out springs.

The main reason for doing this sort of lowering is that the wheels won't bottom out against the fenders when lowered and the linkage rate stays as the factory designed it. And again, the drop can even be far lower than raising the tubes in the triple clamps and adding lowering links, safely.

It is a common modification on the singles raced on flat track where anything over 6-8 inches of suspension travel is a waste. I've had a few friends do it on their supermoto and flat track bikes, as well as customs.
  11. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    +1 on this being the correct way... Especially since they usually set the suspension up specifically for the rider at the same time instead of the 'one size fits all' lowering links...

I had my 640 Adventure lowered 4" and my 250F lowered 2" internally with the spacers, revalved and resprung. What a difference it made! I'm 5'3" btw...

you could always try the links and shaved seat first to see if she even likes the bike.. if she doesnt, you can put it back to stock and sell it... and if she does, you can have it lowered properly for her.
    Five3 likes this.
  12. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I've been searching for a specific answer and can't find one, so over to the brains trust.

Can anyone tell me how far I can pull the DRZ400 forks up through the triples without having a problem with the tyre hitting the underside of the guard/fender?
  13. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a DRZ and at 5'4, 120lbs, 29" inseam. I will be lowering it. It came with a regular height seat concepts seat. Should I try to shave the foam my self or send the seat back to Seat Concepts for the correct "low" foam? I also have bought lowering links. If I don't like them and want to alter the suspension instead, how much $$ am I looking at for that? Thanks.