lowering ktm 990 adv

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by blakken, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I typically don't recommend going over an inch if you ride off road. There's just to many variables out there with stumps, logs, roots, and rocks that can destroy your toes or your bike. Most people do not realize how much a inch off the seat height is.
  2. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Being 5'8" I have not owned a bike that I could flat foot in 10 years. Until now! I dropped my EXC 530 3 inches (from 12" of travel to 9"). Best mod I have ever done! I don't ride Moto any more and my dual sport riding is really supermoto or flat track style. So what do they do with those bikes? Lower them! They handle much better and why have the suspension when you don't need it. My cost was $400 for a pro to lower it. Your wife is probably not hitting big jumps with the bike so why does she need the extra travel? trials bikes actually have less ground clearance than most moto bikes. With the bike lower I can now dab my way through rocky sections or over logs.

Lower the suspension! She will love it. Just make sure you get a pro to do it. My came with a guarantee that if I didn't like it they would put it back to stock. .
  3. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    I lowered this 525 EXC by 75mm and fitted 17" wheels for a very short friend.

It handled fantastic, even whith the footpegs folded up and grinding away......

[​IMG]
  4. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    I may lower my 2009 990A and put on a set of 17/17 Super Duke wheels... just to piss off the OC fundamentalists :lol3
  5. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    OC FUNDEMENTALISTS! Best term I have heard. They have a group protest going on in the 1190 ADV thread. :lol3
  6. Mttodd

Mttodd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F the OCF!
  7. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, maybe I spoke through my hat, I'm thinking about linked rear shock with lowering links.

My ex V-Strom handled so much better after I raised it back to stock height.

The concept of lowering an ADV is beyond me, I'd rather shim my boots and keep all the travel.
  8. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    ok well she is going to pick it up on friday so then we eill test and se hows its goes!
    but it sems to be 1" suspension lowering
    and springs for her weight.
    than trim the seat.
    with right springs its sags right!
    if its sags like it are built for the seat height is not that hi!
  9. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah... I've been lurking and laughing a bunch over in that thread. :D
  10. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    Now she has try the 990 adv.
    And its working, she have to tip toe with one foot.
    i take away all preload from springs and satt rebound and comp in comfort.
    then i order a low seat so than its sem to work.:clap

what do you think off the adjustments?

anyone who has try d the low seat?

"she come about 2.5 km than she hitt a tree:rofl. its was real sandy and she worked wery god with the bike.
  11. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your wife has good taste. We lowered my wife's 990 about two inches and it gave her much more confidence than she ever had on her BMW F650GS Dakar. She LOVES the bike, even more so since we put a Rekluse clutch in it.

I pushed her to test ride the 690 and she finally did at the KTM Adventure Rally in Bend (after riding her 990 for three years). She had one thing to say - YAWN!
  12. bnull

bnull n00b

Oddometer:
    Start taking her out to dinner more often. Pizza 3 or 4 nights a week, leave lots of chocolates lying around the house.
    Before you know it the seat height won't be a problem once you ger her on the bike.