LowRider 640A GSteve's new bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zerodog, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture I took of GSteve's 640A next to my bike. I had it out test riding it before it was shipped to him and couldn't resist taking a picture of it. I lowered it front and rear close to 2.75". I could sit on it totally flat footed and I am about 5'10". I tippy toe with my bike with a low Renazco seat. Steve's bike has a full height Renazco on it. With leather, not suede. The leather is bad ass!

Anyway it was cool to get to ride a low one. I have done the low lowrider treatment for a few people but I never got to ride the end result. If I didn't offroad my 640 as much I would lower mine at least 1 inch. I just don't want to give up the ground clearance for some of the riding I do. But for a long adventure ride on dirtroads or the 3rd world I would seriously consider it.

[​IMG]
  2. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Hey, that left bike's looking downright LC8ish. Hawk. Spit.

No really, nice!

I'm curious as to how you set the sag. I figured that the standard 30%/10% loaded/static would be right, but so many people lower without changing the spring rate that I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
  3. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Lovely!!
    I get so excited when I see lowered motorcycles.
    Zerodog, you are giving me hope.
    What fork springs did you end up with/how did the front come down?
    bill
  4. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the shock spring was an 8.2 x 235mm??. I would have to look at my notes on what I ordered to see for sure. I set it to 25mm static sag with quite a bit of preload. And rider sag of about 64mm. This was with me on it at 190lbs. So in the end I think a higher rate spring would have been a little better. Something like 8.6. But that would be making it ideal for carring a load. Not Steve riding alone at 160lbs or so. It worked out that the spring should cover the uses of the bike pretty well and fall within a reasonable adjustment. There is no way on earth a stock spring would work in this application. It wouldn't be close to heavy enough and there is no room to even install it . I think the shorter the stroke the heavier the springs should be to control the shorter travel.
    The fork springs were 2" shorter then stock at I think a .48 rate.
  5. GSteve

GSteve Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rob set the bike up for my uses and I have to say that I'm more than pleased. The real test will come when I get a load on it and take it for an extended trip. I agree that it's pretty close in height to my 950, but rides and handles dirt roads better. Of course, that just means that I probably need to give some more attention ($$$) to the suspension. The other up side is that the 640 weighs at least 100 pounds less than my 950 and has better range. A more focused tool for some of my uses. Great job Rob and thanks for posting the pic.
  6. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    What fork spring to balance out the job?
    Was it shortened?
    b.
  7. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both springs were custom made from scratch to get reliable rates.