Lowside on Twisted Sisters

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Merfman, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoped to never post in this forum, yet here I am... PSA for others of similar ilk:

Story is simple, I'd risen early to hit up one/all of the Twisted Sisters in the hill country of Texas. Left Camp Wood, eastbound, around 6:10AM, sunrise was around 7. Proceeding east on FM337, about 20 minutes out of town, I approached a really sharp right hander at about 35 or so, unsure. As I started to press into the right bar, I felt the front end sliding away.. "well, here we go" was the first thought... as I sat in the road watching my Ten skid away my thoughts turned to "what the f*ck was that?"

Post mortem:
    As I rode east, I was unable to see the road surface adequately, at sunrise. Looks like someone forgot to tighten their diesel filler and I simply did not see it. Frankly, unsure even if I *had* seen it that I'd done anything differently...

Slick and slide trail...
    [​IMG]

Be safe out there everyone! I got lucky, ATTGATT left me with no damage other than very slight right elbow bruise and personalized protection on the 10...
  2. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, hate to hear that. Glad all is relatively well though.

Thanks for being brave enough to post it.

That's sort of a nightmare scenario. Wonder if the spill was intentional?
  3. Merfman

Oddometer:
    I don't think it was... it would have been an excellent pour if it was...

A concern for me: I was talking to a fellow biker at a BBQ joint the day before. He said he rode this road daily.
    I hope he wasn't as unfortunate....

The followup: I spent a few minutes wrenching on the bike and calming down... I completed my ride then headed to
    Fredricksburg where I found a GREAT hotel that let me check in at 10:30AM where I contemplated my day. My conclusion
    was that it's the risks in life that make life tolerable (for me!)
  4. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good heads up, glad you survived... lucky no oncoming traffic (slid over double yellow?). Riding into low sun is really tough. Also be careful with those early AM rides - deer risk is massive from dusk through dawn, I've hit 7 (3 on bikes), rather deal with cars than those forest rats. Didn't Grodsky get taken out by one in TX hill country?
    Merfman likes this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Scary, glad you walked away!!
    Merfman likes this.
  6. Charlie Gary

Charlie Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grodsky was in Big Bend National Park, near the Rio Grande.
    Merfman and Snapper like this.
  7. brownricer

brownricer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, even without contamination that surface looks pretty sketchy. that aggregate near the surface... how to know what's embedded and what's loose?. At least with the good ol' chipseal we see here in PA, one can assume it's ALL loose, and ride accordingly, LOL.
    BywayMan likes this.
  8. ManiZ

ManiZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the spirit! Looks like you handled it well. No soreness, road rash etc.? What was the damage to your gear and the bike?
  9. Merfman

Oddometer:
    This is chipseal and when I reviewed the spot, it looked like the gravel had been removed and nothing but oil was left... then diesel was dumped...

I was a little sore, 3 spots of rash on an elbow and rash on the guards on the bike. Generally, every bit of protective gear did it's job. I have a little rash on the elbow of the Badlands as well as some hip rash on the pants (and my Glock) ..
  10. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    What brand of crash bars are you using?
  11. Merfman

Oddometer:
    Altrider bars, Jesse bags and an Altrider skid plate kept all the shiny painted bits off the deck...
    BaldKnob and falcn like this.
  12. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you can't avoid it...the whole road looks coated in diesel!
    Merfman likes this.
  13. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    That road should be ridden somewhat cautiously anyway. Locals have been caught in the past dumping stuff in the road just because they don't like the motorcycle traffic.
    Merfman likes this.
  14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kudos to you for going down on a surface like that and having the gear to prevent serious injury. Many of the riders on The Sisters are clad only in a T shirt and sunglasses.
    Merfman likes this.
  15. Merfman

Oddometer:
    Overheard recently: Some riders won't wear a helmet but have a case on their iPhone....
    shinyribs, ramblin66 and mminob like this.
  16. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Atlanta and rode the mountains regularly - before they became so widely gentrified and the speed limits tanked - someone dumped oil in one of the corners on one of roads most frequented by sport bikers (197) and took out someone just putting through on a Goldwing. I worked for the state and was working in one of the mountain counties at the time. The locals were incensed that someone would do that and the consensus was it had to be someone who only came up on weekends because no one in their right mind would do that when their friends and kids and extended families drive those roads daily.

Now I live in rural Wisconsin, ahhhhh, and dodging deer is my biggest concern. A guy I know T-boned one at about 45 mph with no helmet and spent a little over a week in an ICU before he could be transferred into acute. I always wear a helmet but as the temperatures have risen I have gotten sloppy about protective gear - this is a good reminder. OP, glad you're safe.
    Merfman and Tricepilot like this.
  17. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    My wife ran into the guard rail in the very same spot. Too fast and sight seeing. Scared her enough that she slows down and looks at the road, not the scenery
    Merfman and Tricepilot like this.
  18. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Now imagine when the guard rail is replaced with cable barriers.

There are more ways all the time to be hurt.

Rod
    Merfman likes this.
  19. Merfman

Oddometer:
    Earlier in the trip, I'd ridden to Ski Apache just outside Ruidoso. The guard rail there is railroad tracks with a cable sized hole burned through and a cable passing through... did NOT look friendly...

Glad your SO was OK @cwadej - it's an easy place to overlook as well... beautiful area.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  20. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a vacation place in Kerrville and when there have ridden these roads more than a hundred times. What is your evidence for this?

Glad the OP is ok and thanks for posting.

Jeff
    Merfman and Traxx like this.