Lowside on Twisted Sisters

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Merfman, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it turned out as well as it did but was there some compelling reason to be on the road with the sun so low? Could the OP have waited an hour?

Certainly there's always the chance that any fun road with curves and elevation changes will have the sun in your eyes at some point, but chances of that happening are increased in the couple of hours after sunrise and before sunset. If I can wait, I do.
  2. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the OP could have waited but enjoys pre-sunrise cruises. He also didn't do enough research to understand that his route would be directly into the sun, he was on vacation and unconcerned with such trivialities...
    Kamala likes this.
  3. TxTiger

TxTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden the TS lots of time. Used to keep a toy hauler down there and visited monthly. The corners are sharp and with the traffic, heavy braking and very hot Texas sun, the gravel gets pushed down and the road oil seems to find its way to the top. My brother in law was taken off that corner by helicopter to a San Antonio hospital. I find this area of Texas extremely motorcycle friendly and doubt anything was done intentionally.
    Merfman likes this.
  4. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that you are ok! I've ridden the sisters. The road surface is like a cheese grater.
    Merfman likes this.
  5. Kamala

Kamala Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sun or no Sun diesel fuel on the road is still hard to see. Glad you made it out the other end
    Merfman likes this.
  6. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks all... it was definitely a learning experience for me!
  7. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Love that route!

Sorry about your get off but glad you are OK.

The pavement there is sketchy even without diesel on it, Lots of tar has come to the surface making it very slippery even if it’s dry.
    Merfman likes this.
  8. spanky

spanky Well, maybe...

Oddometer:
    Me too and they sure have my respect. My Sis lives in Fredericksburg, TX, which is pretty close to being the gateway to incredible Hill Country riding. While visiting a few years back I took off on my RT with the intent to give the Sister's everything I had and then some and I did! :-) I also ended up with a lot of respect for the entire area and a fascination about how certain stretches of the roads could be perfect while others had my sphincter puckered so tight to the seat it was the only thing keep me on the RT.
  9. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC there's a sign at the north end of southbound 336 that says "<some number> motorcyclists killed on this road since <year>"